Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 1 of 37

Intel Management Engine Firmware Update Failed SKU (Consumer or Corporate)

2020-11-25, 20:01 PM

Hello to poor people who bought Lenovo systems with this serious security vulnerability, Lenovo who integrates this system into their products and Intel who designs and sells this horrible system,

I have just had to read a whole bunch of articles and wikipedia pages about a technology that I didn't ask for and will never use, but one that I've had to get familiar with in order to try to solve a security problem that my computer apparently shipped with. I'm summarizing my understanding for people who have made it to this page in the same position I was in a few hours ago:

<>

Intel Management Engine is a separate cpu, storage and internet interface that operates parallel to your main system. It's controlled by Intel AMT hardware and software. It allows for complete remote control of, manipulation of or evesdropping on your hardware. Together Intel Management Engine and Intel AMT software are used for remote maintenance of computers in enterprise settings. They allow for complete remote control of a machine, even when the main operating system hasn't started. This type of control is called Out-of-band managment (OOB).

If you have vulnerabilities in these technologies, you have a serious system vulnerability, one that can be exploited without any awareness of your operating system because it's operating on hardware that the main cpu can't even see. 

You can disable Intel AMT in BIOS, but you can't disable Intel Management Engine. That's because Intel Management Engine is hardware and firmware that runs unless explicitly disabled at a very low level. The US government was able to get their systems disabled, but Intel refused to help the average consumer do this.

Every few years a vulnerability comes out related to this autonomous, parallel, supervisory system and everyone realizes that having such a system in their computers poses a big security risk. Then everyone forgets about it except the bad guys.

<>

Lenovo is having a very hard time with getting this update to work. I am another unlucky purchaser of Lenovo hardware affected by this serious issue. I purchased one of your T460s

Intel has just announced that its Management Engine has another critical vulnerability. Intel does not provide firmware for Lenovo's chipset. Instead it asks Lenovo to do that. Intel does provide a utility that tests for the vulnerability. I ran that and the status returns "This system is vulnerable". 

So, I've tried running the update from 1. Lenovo System Update, 2. Lenovo Vantage and 3. downloading the update manually. 

All three return this error: The FW Update Utility couldn’t identify the system’s SKU (Consumer or Corporate). Please check your ME FW Update Utility Package

I tried contacting the refurbisher who sold me the unit, and their response was that I should be able to run Windows Update and if the computer wasn't slow, there was no issue. No help there.

Lenovo, can you help me get this firmware update to run? If not, I would suggest people avoid Lenovo refurbished units and look to another manufacturer. This page is full of people who can't install updates related to Intel Management Engine for various reasons. 

I will post this everywhere I can. Hopefully you will hear me and help all of us poor people who bought your products and were stuck googling and reading about Intel Management Engine and all the problems you have keeping your firmware updates working.

Thank you,

PostEverywhere

Answer
Options

1 Posts

12-16-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5

Re:Intel Management Engine Firmware Update Failed SKU (Consumer or Corporate)

2020-12-16, 7:50 AM

I was able to resolve this by using the Lenovo System update to download the IME installer in deferred mode.

1. I recommend first checking your firmware version in Device Manager --> System Devices --> Intel Management Engine Interface --> Firmware Tab.  I just took a picture with my phone.  Just so you have an idea where you are starting to verify at the end.
  2. Also make sure your computer is plugged in and fully charged (just in case, this is firmware after all).
  3. Open PowerShell as an admin (I suppose the command prompt as admin might work as well, but that's not what I did).
  4. Drill down to the download folder.  Mine was in C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\SessionSE\Repository\r00mu09w  Yours might be different, but use the folder creation date to help.
  5. There was a text file in the folder named r00mu09w.txt  Opening the file gave me strong evidence I was in the right spot.  The software name was "Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware" listed at the top of the text file contents.  The version listed was 11.8.80.3746.
  6. There are a couple of tools in the folder I was able to use to pull the current info.  FwDetect.exe was what I used to poke around the various settings, but this step was almost completely irrelevant to what we are trying to do here.
  7. I ran the MEUpdate.cmd command script and just let it do it's thing.  The script rebooted the computer on it's own, I checked the Frimware version in Device Manager, and compared to the previous version.  I'm up to date.

My system is a 20EV002FUS and I was getting the same error listed in the original post. 

I have another computer to rebuild and see if I can recreate the issue and solve it with these steps.  The other laptop is a 20DFCTO1WW so we'll see how it goes.  I did see in the BIOS the "ME Firmware Version" is listed as 10.0.30.1072 on this second computer.

[Update:  The second computer did not require the firmware update.  Running Lenovo System Update installed all the chipset drivers and my Device Manager is clear of "missing device drivers".  Oddly enough, in Device Manager, it didn't have a firmware tab on the IME Interface device.  My suspicion is there was some sort of design change between these two models, but I really have no idea.]

Replies(36)
Options

475 Posts

09-04-2019

United States of America

355 Signins

5148 Page Views

• Views: 5148
  • Message 2 of 37

2020-11-26, 7:51 AM

You can download this manually and install it.

Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 3 of 37

2020-11-27, 15:11 PM

@JEShumMPK,

I've tried the manual install. It did not work. Actually I tried 4  methods (not just the 3 listed above):

• Lenovo System Update
  • Lenovo Vantage
  • Manual Setup
  • Lenovo Service Bridge(the one where you install an app and the webpage scans your system for required updates

All of them had the same outcome: installation failure due to the SKU problem listed above:

The FW Update Utility couldn’t identify the system’s SKU (Consumer or Corporate). Please check your ME FW Update Utility Package

So, the ME FW Update Utility Package is not working right. I don't know how to get another.

-PostEverywhere

Options

5673 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40123 Signins

772240 Page Views

• Views: 772240
  • Message 4 of 37

2020-11-28, 1:35 AM
Questions about this third-party refurbished machine; What type of ThinkPad T series system is this? What's the full model number?
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 5 of 37

2020-11-28, 7:43 AM

This is a T460s full model is: 20FA-S1EF0M 

I don't know if those are supposed to be zeroes or the letter "O".

Options

5673 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40123 Signins

772240 Page Views

• Views: 772240
  • Message 6 of 37

2020-11-28, 19:02 PM
20FA means it's a T460s. The last two letters are country. OM is Oman. The model 20FAS1EFOM comes up on the Lenovo support site. If you input the serial number as well, you should see full information including warranty and what parts are included. If that comes up clean, the only thing I can think of is that it is a special build machine and the Intel ME update does not recognize it.
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

14 Posts

11-30-2020

Canada

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 7 of 37

2020-11-30, 18:37 PM

Is there anything that can be done about it? 

@OP

I am in the same boat with my Thinkpad Yoga 460, it's the only driver I have left to update, but I get the exact same error you have here with the SKU not being recognized. 

Another user in search of a solution
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 8 of 37

2020-12-01, 15:00 PM

@Sharif-4 Just out of curiosity, is your system from Oman, like mine? If you don't mind sharing, could you post the model number? 

Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 9 of 37

2020-12-01, 21:05 PM
@bananaman, My laptop monitoring software says the last two digits are "0M" not "OM". But as you say this should be a two digit country code. So, i'm not sure why that's happening. I tried asking for the manufacturing origin on this model/serial number asking Lenovo regulatory and they said it was made in China. Is the Country you're referring to different than manufacturing origin? Is the country that it was destined for after being manufactured in china? Because i have a number of models that end with US that are also indicated as being manufactured in china from CoO support team.
Options

14 Posts

11-30-2020

Canada

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 10 of 37

2020-12-02, 0:31 AM

How do I go on finding that? 

I recently purchased this laptop, the seller was located in US, unless it was imported to begin with. 

Edit

Some digging around later

Think this is the one 

20ELS0CG00

Another user in search of a solution
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms