Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Views: 115
  • Message 21 of 37

Re:Intel Management Engine Firmware Update Failed SKU (Consumer or Corporate)

2020-12-16, 17:11 PM

That's awesome @Sharif-4 . I haven't played with the tools yet but am looking forward to investigating. I am a little nervous that this may cause update issues in the future but really don't know enough to even guess about that yet. 

Lenovo,can you weigh in on whether this will cause any issues? This inventive solution seems to allow updating for people. Is it save to use this?

-PostEverywhere

Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 22 of 37

2020-12-16, 17:14 PM
@key2038 so you really just ran the MEUpdate.cmd without modifying anything. Is that right?
Options

14 Posts

11-30-2020

Canada

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 23 of 37

2020-12-16, 17:39 PM

We basically manually ran the update, bypassing the check the exe would do, during setup process it would have ran the SKU checker in the file, which would terminate the program, as the SKU file reads unknown for whatever reason (You can run the SKU program manually too)

Just make sure you have the right version for your particular laptop, and you should be good. 

Another user in search of a solution
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2020

United States of America

12 Signins

115 Page Views

• Message 24 of 37

2020-12-16, 20:59 PM

Hi @keh2038 and @sharif-4,

keh2038, that was some good sleuthing. 

I remain worried that this process may not update a registry key or set some hardware flag that Lenovo uses to track the firmware status and that might affect future auto updates. Also, if there's something weird about this machine that it doesn't have a SKU that conforms to how they're set when Lenovo ships these things, I want to know that too.

I opened up MEUpdate.CMD to decipher it. This command:

"%~dp0MEInfoWin64.exe" -feat "Intel(R) AMT State" > %~dp0NUL

seems to triggers an error if you try this with a feature that doesn't exist in a consumer product, "Intel(R) AMT State". Try './MEInfoWin64.exe man' for explanation and try './MEInfoWin64.exe -feat "fakefeature"' to see an error get generated ).

Then if the errorLevel is 1 it runs the consumer.bin ME update and if its anything else, it runs the corporate.bin ME update.

I don't know if one of the tools up the chain that starts with "FwUpdate.exe" and ends with "MEUpdate.CMD" sets some flag somewhere. If i was doing this on my own computer I would run the command - but I'm doing this on a work machine and want to get Lenovo's ok that @keh2038's discovery isn't going to mess with their future updates and would like to know why the SKU in this machine doesn't work with Lenovo's SKU check. 

BTW when I run .\MEFirmwareSKUCheckTool.exe it comes up with the attached dialogue "MEFW SKU: Unknown".:

ME Firmware SKU Check Tool --- MEFW SKU: Unknown

@lenovo can you please weigh in on these two issues?

-PostEverywhere

Options

14 Posts

11-30-2020

Canada

13 Signins

80 Page Views

• Views: 80
  • Message 25 of 37

2020-12-17, 1:52 AM
Mine's a work laptop I got off ebay as well, so I am guessing it has something to do with the units lenovo sold to companies in bulk
Another user in search of a solution
Options

8 Posts

11-25-2019

Russian Federation

17 Signins

171 Page Views

• Views: 171
  • Message 26 of 37

2021-01-04, 9:36 AM

@ keh2038 wrote:

I was able to resolve this by using the Lenovo System update to download the IME installer in deferred mode.

1. I recommend first checking your firmware version in Device Manager --> System Devices --> Intel Management Engine Interface --> Firmware Tab.  I just took a picture with my phone.  Just so you have an idea where you are starting to verify at the end.
  2. Also make sure your computer is plugged in and fully charged (just in case, this is firmware after all).
  3. Open PowerShell as an admin (I suppose the command prompt as admin might work as well, but that' not what I did).
  4. Drill down to the download folder.  Mine was in C:\\\\\\  Yours might be different, but use the folder creation date to help.
  5. There was a text file in the folder named r00mu09w.txt  Opening the file gave me strong evidence I was in the right spot.  The software name was "Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware" listed at the top of the text file contents.  The version listed was 11.8.80.3746.
  6. There are a couple of tools in the folder I was able to use to pull the current info.  FwDetect.exe was what I used to poke around the various settings, but this step was almost completely irrelevant to what we are trying to do here.
  7. I ran the MEUpdate.cmd command script and just let it do it' thing.  The script rebooted the computer on it' own, I checked the Frimware version in Device Manager, and compared to the previous version.  I' up to date.

When I run MEUpdate.cmd, there is no such script: "MEUpdate : The term 'MEUpdate' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program." Do you have this script in the folder? My laptop is X1 extreme Gen1, but the problem with firmware update is the same: "the fw update utility couldn't identify the systems sku". I only used Lenovo Vantage to try to update. I was able to locate the folder you are telling about, but there is no script. Is it possible that during some other attemts you got the necessary script?

Options

1 Posts

01-06-2021

Germany

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 27 of 37

2021-01-06, 14:18 PM

Hi, fistly: Thanks for the research and finally solution (I hope).
I don't know anything about these type of things and you kind of lost me on step 4.

How to I "drill down to the download folder" and what folder is that? I don't even know what I am looking for and how to identify it.

Options

1 Posts

03-10-2021

Indonesia

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 28 of 37

2021-03-10, 18:53 PM

Hi..
Thank you for @ keh2038 .

It's worked on my T460s, finally!

@Mozina , same thing happened to me earlier, i got lost on step 4 too. 

But basically here are the steps that i did just now:

1. using the Lenovo System update to download the IME installer in deferred mode 

2. Go to C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\SessionSE\Repository\ and then click 'Date Modified' 2 times to sort the files so the newest will be on the top.

3. Open that folders one by one start from the top and search for file name "MEUpdate.cmd".  then Run as administrator. Wait until automatically restart. and Done!

Hope it works for you too.

@ keh2038 wrote:

I was able to resolve this by using the Lenovo System update to download the IME installer in deferred mode.

1. I recommend first checking your firmware version in Device Manager --> System Devices --> Intel Management Engine Interface --> Firmware Tab.  I just took a picture with my phone.  Just so you have an idea where you are starting to verify at the end.
  2. Also make sure your computer is plugged in and fully charged (just in case, this is firmware after all).
  3. Open PowerShell as an admin (I suppose the command prompt as admin might work as well, but that's not what I did).
  4. Drill down to the download folder.  Mine was in C:\ProgramData\Lenovo\SystemUpdate\SessionSE\Repository\r00mu09w  Yours might be different, but use the folder creation date to help.
  5. There was a text file in the folder named r00mu09w.txt  Opening the file gave me strong evidence I was in the right spot.  The software name was "Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware" listed at the top of the text file contents.  The version listed was 11.8.80.3746.
  6. There are a couple of tools in the folder I was able to use to pull the current info.  FwDetect.exe was what I used to poke around the various settings, but this step was almost completely irrelevant to what we are trying to do here.
  7. I ran the MEUpdate.cmd command script and just let it do it's thing.  The script rebooted the computer on it's own, I checked the Frimware version in Device Manager, and compared to the previous version.  I'm up to date.
Options

1 Posts

03-11-2021

Denmark

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 29 of 37

2021-03-11, 0:18 AM

All of you are  geniuses, I appreciate all your work and explanations.

I've been in touch with lenovo support without actual help. But you guys helped me through it :) 

Not sure how I obtained my procedure actually, as I couldn't find the description again.

I browsed for my downloaded file, mine was located in DRIVERS -> WIN-> ME -> [date code and time stamp]

I just opened this folder, copied the path. Ran Powershell as administrator and paste the path followed by /MEUpdate.cmd

In my case it looked like this: "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME\20211103.00395528/MEUpdate.cmd" 

Thank you for different explanations, as I'm no expert in this field, but this was very helpful to me.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean. (NateS)

Options

18 Posts

06-23-2020

United States of America

46 Signins

350 Page Views

• Views: 350
  • Message 30 of 37

2021-03-12, 17:45 PM
Hey guys, I'm experiencing the same issue with a T460 (20FM) model. Did the system sku get updated to either corporate or consumer after running the MEUpdate.cmd?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms