Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

05-02-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 7

T470 (20HD000EUK) - Suddenly not seeing/taking charge from BOTH external PSU and Ultra Dock?!

2021-05-02, 20:43 PM

Hello,

I run a T470 pretty much permanently seated in a Thinkpad Ultra Dock (Model: 40A2) and today, after coming back from a standard Hibernation, I noticed that, as soon as the Win10 Login Screen appeared, the screen was flickering on and off, and the laptop's Powerbutton Light was also flashing in what appeared to be an irregular pattern.

Since the screen would not remain on to login, I eventually needed to force (EPO) the machine, by holding down the power button.

Once the laptop rebooted, I noticed that it was now running on battery power, even though my 90W external charger remained plugged into the Ultra Dock Base.

Further testing reveals that now neither of my 90W PSUs (the one from the Dock and a newer one that I received with the laptop) are detected when plugged directly into the laptop (small orange charge LED does not illuminate) and Power Icon in W10 System Tray never indicates charger detected.

Win10 (64) appears to function normally - simply on battery only, with now no obvious way of recharging (either direct into laptop or via Dock).

+++

So far: I have...

Removed both the internal battery and external batteries, reset the 'Reset Button Pinhole', disconnected/reconnected BIOS battery and uninstalled/reinstalled the W10 Power Adapter and Battery Devices in Device Manager. It's not running in Flight Mode, either.

Laptop is FULLY updated via Vantage and W10 Updates... BIOS level is v1.65.

Really grateful for any further ideas, cheers!

Aitch

Options

4864 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

871 Signins

24985 Page Views

• Views: 24985
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:T470 (20HD0000EUK) - Suddenly not seeing/taking charge from BOTH external PSU and Ultra Dock?!

2021-05-03, 6:16 AM

Hi Aitch22!

Welcome to community forums

Have you tried using a different charger or plugging in from another outlet to check if the issue is the same? 

Have you also tried running the hardware scan from the Lenovo Vantage to check for possible hardware failure? Can you also check the status of the battery from the Lenovo Vantage app?

Let us know.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4 Posts

05-02-2021

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

Re:T470 (20HD0000EUK) - Suddenly not seeing/taking charge from BOTH external PSU and Ultra Dock?!

2021-05-03, 9:08 AM

Hi - I appreciate the swift reply.

Yes - I have 2x identical Lenovo 90w Power Blocks and have used both in both the Ultra Dock and direct into the T470, and also used different known good 220v wall outlets for both.

I am therefore confident that it's NOT an input supply issue.

Attached screenshot of reported Battery Statuses.

EDIT: I have also now cleared the BIOS/CMOS - such that it requested a Time/Date reset - no change...  :-(

KRs,

Aitch

Options

4 Posts

05-02-2021

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-05-03, 11:27 AM

Standard Vantage Hardware Scan passes fine (attached).

Machine boots and operates perfectly - APART from being stuck on Battery power!

Options

4864 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

871 Signins

24985 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

Re:T470 (20HD000EUK) - Suddenly not seeing/taking charge from BOTH external PSU and Ultra Dock?!

2021-05-04, 11:38 AM

Try manually installing the power management driver here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t470/downloads/driver-list/

If the issue is the same, load the default BIOS settings. Once in the BIOS, press the F9 key to load the default setup then press the F10 key to save it.

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

4 Posts

05-02-2021

10 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

Re:T470 (20HD000EUK) - Suddenly not seeing/taking charge from BOTH external PSU and Ultra Dock?!

2021-05-05, 9:06 AM

Hi

Thanks. Yes - tried both these (had already reset CMOS previously - necessitating time/date reset...and default options reload.)

No change.

I also obtained a 65w USB-C charger, and it won't see any charging from the Thunderbolt port either.

I have now raised a Hardware Support Call - guess it must be something U/S on the System Board... 😭

Aitch

Options

4864 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

871 Signins

24985 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-05-05, 15:32 PM

I see. Aside from the support team, you can also bring it to any of our authorized repair centers in your area for further assistance.

You can find the list here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/gb/en/partnerlocator

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms