Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

02-26-2021

Japan

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 9

T470S_ How can I talk by built-in mic when earphones plugged in?

2021-02-26, 10:29 AM

I know there is a way to do this. It happened some times when I was doing the combination of the below.

Disabling/uninstalling devices in Audio inputs and outputs on Device manager. And

Plugged the earphones in/out repeatedly.

But half the time I was not heard on the other end.

Audio driver was updated to the latest.

Realtek High Definition Audio Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T470s, T470, ThinkPad 25 - Lenovo Support US

earphones are iphone's genuinely by Apple.

There is only one jack for both of earphones and mic.

OS is Windows10 (64 bit)

Can anybody give me clear instruction? Thank you in advance.

Options

2837 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

381 Signins

14536 Page Views

• Views: 14536
  • Message 2 of 9

Re:T470S_ How can I talk by built-in mic when earphones plugged in?

2021-02-26, 10:43 AM

Hi yas1984,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

You should be able to go to sound settings, but right clicking the windows icon bottom left. Select Settings - System - Sound. Then on "Input" from the drop down menu, select the mic you want to use.

Does the earphones have it's own mic ? If so, then you need to go into the Device manager and find the earphones mic and right click and disable it, so that it doesn't supersede the built in mic. 

Press Windows key + X, select Device manager. Go to Microphone, Audio Inputs and Outputs and/or Sound Video and Game controllers. Find the mic you do not want to use. Right click and select "disable", perform a restart of the device and you should be able to use the built in mic, if the device has one.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

7 Posts

02-26-2021

Japan

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 9

2021-02-26, 13:03 PM

Voithos,

Thank you for you quickly replying to my question.

I carefully read through your comment and when I was checking device manager again, at one point the mic worked. But now not working again.

What I did was disabled the 2 "Microphone"s, leaving Microphone Array on. 

This makes sense that it worked cause that is the chosen input device in Sound setting. But then after I plugged the earphones out and back in, the mic never works again.

====Pic1

====Pic2

I know the right setting here can fix the problem. But while turning on/off devices, I have not seen any consistency in the mic's behavior. Thank you for your reply.

Options

6720 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

1007 Signins

33885 Page Views

• Views: 33885
  • Message 4 of 9

2021-02-26, 16:56 PM

Can you try disconnect all connected peripherals and uninstall all the drivers under the audio inputs and outputs. Restart the computer for the driver to reinstall itself. Test if the issue is the same.

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

7 Posts

02-26-2021

Japan

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 9

2021-02-27, 13:35 PM

Jwes_Lenovo,

Thank you for your message.

Redoing the process multiple times, mic worked only twice in more than 20 time audio tests. It seems it just happens with no indication.

I uninstalled all the devices in audio inputs and outputs including hidden devices. PC booted up and drivers were back again just as in the pic.

While I went back and forth between checking the mic in Windows sound setting and audio testing in MS Teams, without any change made the mic worked and earphones were plugged in. Once the earphones got out and back in again, mic would not work again. 

The only thing I did was testing the mic and plugged the earphones in/out and start over the process after a while. Any ideas? Thank you.

Options

612 Posts

06-26-2016

Germany

1119 Signins

17104 Page Views

• Views: 17104
  • Message 6 of 9

2021-02-27, 14:58 PM

why  don't you use the sound control panel?  There you can define  a default playback/recording device and a default communications device  like a headset.

Many meeting/conference tools also allow you to define the communication devices you want to use.

Usually I have the built-in mic disabled all the time.  Then it looks like this:

Tech-Savvyness does not replace reading the fine manual.
Options

7 Posts

02-26-2021

Japan

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 7 of 9

2021-02-27, 15:20 PM

Hi,

Thank you for sharing. 

I have not given this part much of attention so was worth a check but it does not look anything is wrong here.

The drivers appeared same as in Device manager, no default drivers here as they were uninstalled already.

Options

612 Posts

06-26-2016

Germany

1119 Signins

17104 Page Views

• Views: 17104
  • Message 8 of 9

2021-02-27, 18:32 PM

no this does not look right if the external device was connected when you took the screen shots.

The 2nd devices for playback and recording are missing. w/o them you can't select which device you want to use. 

It seems the driver is using classic mode.  With classic mode any devices connected to the 3.5mm audio jack overrides the internal devices.

If you want to use the internal mic, then you need to connect head-phones only and not a headset.

You can enable multi-stream mode with Realtek's HD audio manager. I guess this may be the default mode on newer Thinkpads.

Edit:  T470s line still have the Realtek HD audio manager installed with audio drivers:

this is how it looks in device manager  on a  t460p with multi-stream mode enabled.

Then you also can see the Advanced sound options in win10 sounds system settings.

here again the old Sound control panel ( NO external device connected to 3.5mm audio jack) 

Advanced audio settings

Tech-Savvyness does not replace reading the fine manual.
Options

7 Posts

02-26-2021

Japan

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2021-02-28, 7:47 AM

Hi,

Thank you for your follow up.

I followed your instruction and yes multi stream mode gave me control for switching between built-in or external mic.

I still have an issue and continue troubleshooting. But wanted to thank you firstly, this is an apparent progress.

Problem is mic started picking up any external sound and play it back. So for example I say something and I can hear my voice out of speaker/earphones.

In app volume and device preferences, I can correct this by set the value to 0 as below. But seems everytime I plugged earphones in/out, the value goes back to100 and I hear my voice and everything around again. 

Setting here sometimes remains but another time not. I will have to check the setting whenever connect/disconnect earphones and it is not to convenient.

May be I will look around MS community. Thank you.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms