02-13-2015

GB

10 Signins

98 Page Views

• Views: 98
  • Message 1 of 6

T470p Emergency Reset Hole Missing?

2017-11-28, 14:45 PM

The T470p I recently replaced a system board on was missing the hole in the base cover to perform an emergency reset!

I've looked at the HMMs for the T470 and T470s and both these variants appear to have the reset hole as I would have expected. However, the T470p reset switch is on the front edge of the system board with no hole in the base cover, whereas the T470 and T470s have theirs located toward the centre of the board with the reset hole right above it.

I haven't drilled down to identify specific MTMs and the corresponding FRUs as this would be time-consuming.

Here's a pic of the one I was working on... as you can see - no reset hole!

Thoughts? Why have Lenovo removed this on the T470P bit not the T470 or T470S?

Solved! See the solution
Options

758 Posts

04-13-2012

IS

1279 Signins

58010 Page Views

• Views: 58010
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: T470p Emergency Reset Hole Missing?

2017-12-03, 17:30 PM

Hello.

That is because the T470p doesn't have an internal battery, so resetting the T470p is as simple as pulling out the AC and the rear battery and holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds.

The reset button on machines with internal batteries is to save you the trouble of disconnecting the internal battery, which incorporates you having to open up the machine bottom completely, given that you can't access BIOS to turn it off.

Cheers,

Atli Jarl.

ThinkPad P1 - i7-8750H/32GB // ThinkPad P70 - Xeon E3-1505M/64GB
ThinkPad W540 (20BG) - i7-4800MQ/32GB // ThinkPad W520 (4282-W4Q) - i7-2720QM/32GB
ThinkPad T450s (20BW) - i7-5600U/12GB // Yoga 900 - i7-6500U/8GB
ThinkPad T61 (7665-CTO) - T7700/4GB // ThinkPad T60p (8741-C2G) - T7400/4GB

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

4 Posts

12-20-2018

NO

6 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 3 of 6

2018-12-20, 22:58 PM

Why does the Thinkpad E580 not have an emergency reset hole?

Options

3 Posts

11-16-2016

US

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-08-14, 14:51 PM

So as a former bench technician for Lenovo, I am stumped.  I bought a about 10 T470P units to use as developer machines here at Arke Systems where I am Admin now.  I've never had many issues with any Lenovo products that I haven't been able to fix until now.  I have a unit on my desk that is well within warranty, but a simple BIOS / CMOS reset should never need to become a service call for a Lenovo tech to come here to do. These PC's get stuck in a horrible state where:

Entering Setup....

Never - EVER goes away. An actual reset button would be fantastic because I have about 9k worth of kick-ass Laptops I cannot use since I can't access BIOS to adjust configuration.  Very disappointed - especially since I even got one for myself and it will soon have the same fate as the rest.  All I did was open the boxes, attach power, and trie F1 , F12, hitting Enter and selecting options to enter setup... The funtion keys WILL take me to Lenovo Diagnostics where the results are a perfect score of 100%...  But I still cannot access UEFI BIOS. After all system updates, all tests run from diagnostics online - Lenovo Vantage tests - Service Bridge System Testing from support.lenovo.com...  

Entering Setup......

With or without RAM, SDD/HDD, Disconnecting the CMOS Battery, Touching standard solder points to drain residual electricty from the system board, NOTHING WORKS to restore BIOS access.  Please come up with a fool-proof EASY way to restore BIOS access on these machines and all models going forward. Thanks in advance from ALL future buyers and IT Departments.

Options

3 Posts

11-16-2016

US

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2019-08-20, 19:27 PM
So I suppose no one at Lenovo has an answer for me? I have a stack of your machines Entering Setup... That NEVER enter setup. A Boot list won't even show. Basically, after the Lenovo Banner splash shows and Enter or F1 - F9, nothing works at all. F11 will take me to Windows options and F10 will run Lenovo Diagnostics as well.

Still No BIOS. No Boot order list on F12.

Does ANYONE have ANYTHING to offer as a suggestion - aside from replacing 5 warrantied motherboards??? I have been successful resetting hundreds of Lenovo boards as a Bench Technician at DEPOT in Atlanta, but I am stumped on this T470P motherboard. I cannot find any jumper to swap, or solder points to ground-out to reset these motherboards. Please Help!!!
Options

3 Posts

11-16-2016

US

8 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2019-08-22, 14:32 PM

The REAL Fix

- If your unit is still under warranty, call the support number or open a ticket at: https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/mtsarva/lenovo.html

The actual issue with the batch of T470P machines I have onsite was with EEPROM not having the Machine Type, Serial and model information stored so the systems would not enter BIOS setup, or Boot Options. 

I tried all of the ordinary options first.

- Restart / Press Enter and tried all options (FAIL)

- Restart / Press F1 (Fail)

- Restart / Press F11 / Windows troubleshooting / Use USB Media / Boot (FAIL)

- Restart / Press F11 / Windows Recovery / Reset PC to original OOBE (Fail)

- Restart / Press F10 / Run Lenovo Diagnostics (No Error Code is displayed for inaccessible BIOS)

- Tried using cscript tools provided by Lenovo https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/kbl-r_deploy_01.pdf (All commands worked EXCEPT disabling "SecureRollbackPrevention" powershell command (FAIL)

As a former technician for Lenovo I was stumped. I no longer had any Lenovo tools to use either but I knew the motherboards DID NOT need to be replaced to enable access to the system BIOS of these T470P machines.

Using her Lenovo Key which is vendor specific, Donna the service tech who came to my assistance was able to repair the issue within 5 minutes and two reboots.  All Donna had to do was boot to her USB drive which was done using Windows options (F11 / Troubleshoot / Use USB)

Now the system she repaired is flawless and access is 100% restored.

There is the REAL fix for the issue I was having.  I hope this elps others in the community who have issues with External Battery Units that have no reset button hole, or reset button on the motherboard.

:-)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete