Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

7 Posts

04-05-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

73 Page Views

• Views: 73
  • Message 1 of 8

T480 Harddisk Upgrade

2019-04-05, 14:51 PM

Hi,

I'm planning to Buy a T480 (getting upgraded from T420)

I would like to know how many Hard disk options are available on a T480. 

will it come with 2 slots so that i can separate it with the OS on one and data to the other one.

Also I want to buy with 500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, SATA3, 2.5" which comes by default and can i upgrade to 1 TB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2 later.

can you please help

Thanks,

SRini

Answer
Options

2633 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3553 Signins

44065 Page Views

• Views: 44065

Re: T480 Harddisk Upgrade

2019-04-06, 0:25 AM

Hi there!

The T480 has a 2.5" SATA slot as well as an M.2 SSD/PCIe NVMe SSD slot. Also, you are able to allocate the WWAN slot as 2nd storage (this is mutually exclusive with WWAN). 

So yes, you can get one with a 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD stock and upgrade to an M.2 later. 

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate. I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

Replies(7)
Answer
Options

2633 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3553 Signins

44065 Page Views

• Message 2 of 8

2019-04-06, 0:25 AM

Hi there!

The T480 has a 2.5" SATA slot as well as an M.2 SSD/PCIe NVMe SSD slot. Also, you are able to allocate the WWAN slot as 2nd storage (this is mutually exclusive with WWAN). 

So yes, you can get one with a 500GB 2.5" SATA HDD stock and upgrade to an M.2 later. 

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Eric Xu

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Please do not PM me for individual requests... please post to the forums instead :)

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

Communities:    Moto English     English     Deutsche     Español     Portugues     Русскоязычное     Česká     Slovenská     Українська   

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

04-08-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

47 Page Views

• Views: 47
  • Message 3 of 8

2019-04-08, 1:06 AM

As EricX said, you are able to allocate the WWAN slot to storage but keep in mind that it is the smaller 2242 m.2 form factor and not the full size 2280 that you mostly see. This limits your options dramatically as there are few reputable manufacturers making the m.2 nvme drives in the 42mm size.

Options

7 Posts

04-05-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2019-04-08, 15:39 PM

Hi Eric,

thanks for the reply. so i can buy the laptop with the default harddisk provided (500 GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm, SATA3, 2.5") and then upgrade to the 1 TB Solid State Drive, PCIe-NVMe OPAL2.0 M.2.

sorry if i'm asking a dumb question as i'm new to this upgrades and want to make sure i'm getting the right components.

Options

2633 Posts

04-17-2014

United States of America

3553 Signins

44065 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2019-04-08, 19:20 PM

Yes, that is correct.

And don't worry, these are great questions!

Regards,
Eric Xu

Options

3 Posts

04-08-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2019-04-08, 19:37 PM

You will need an adapter that you'll have to buy from Lenovo to do this

Options

7 Posts

04-05-2019

United States of America

4 Signins

73 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2019-04-12, 19:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Is it required if i want to upgrade to regular SSD as well?

if not can i just upgrade to the Regular SSD without any Hassle?

can you please advise.

Thanks

Options

3 Posts

04-08-2019

United States of America

5 Signins

47 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2019-04-12, 20:11 PM

No, you won't need any additional adapters if you just upgrade the 2.5" HDD to a 2.5" SSD.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms