Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

10-15-2020

Australia

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

T480 Thunderbolt controller died despite firmware updates (ht508988)

2020-10-15, 9:14 AM

My T480's Thunderbolt controller appears to have died. The Lenovo 65W charger is recognised as a 15W charger when plugged in to either USB-C port, and Thunderbolt devices connected to either USB-C port don't work.

I have applied all firmware updates in a timely manner ever since receiving the laptop, so the period in which the controller chip was able to be damaged by bad firmware was as small as possible.

The critical firmware update provided under ht508988 seems to have given the controller just enough longevity to outlive my 2yr warranty, which expired in May.

Since the majority of the damage to my Thunderbolt controller occurred at some point prior to critical update ht508988 in August 2019, which means it occurred within my warranty period, I think it's reasonable for Lenovo to fix the laptop at their cost.

Has anyone had any success in getting Lenovo to perform out-of-warranty repairs for this issue?

Options

3 Posts

10-15-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:T480 Thunderbolt controller died despite firmware updates (ht508988)

2020-10-15, 21:49 PM

i am in the same boat except i have a 150 of these at 1000 a pop. for Lenovo to sit and dur nothing is criminal i can solder the new chips in however i cant find them out on the net i need winbond 25q80dvsig 1842 and i cant find any. Lenovo needs to send them out i need 150 of them. i not going to stop bugging lenovo and telling people about how this company is doing its customers till they get a solution in place not a firmware update because the chips are already damaged. get the chips or money from intel IDK but you better make this right Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms