US

6 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 1 of 3

T480 Upgrade from HDD to SSD M.2 NVMe questions

2020-02-26, 14:37 PM

Hello All,

May be overkill but I'm in it for the storage capacity and the longevity of the drive, I know the T480 has 2 PCIe lanes so I wont get the full benefits but still.

So I will be upgrading my 500Gb T480 2.5 HDD with a 1Tb Samsung 970 PRO SSD (w/ Caddy from Lenovo: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/memory-and-storage/storage/HDD-BO-ThinkPad-M-2-SSD-Tray/p/4XF0N82414) using a USB 3.1 adapter from Kingwin for the clone process. 

As soon as I connect the usb adapter to my computer it recognizes the drive ( in Macrium Reflect and system Info... BUT not in file explore)

I will be using Macrium Reflect to do the cloning process UNLESS someone says otherwise....

When I entered the Bios to check the settings I noticed that under STARTUP - BOOT NETWORK I have options such as PCI LAN (default setting), NVMe 1, NVMe 0, and etc.

My question's are :  

1- After the cloning process, is it as simple as shutting down the laptop, swapping the old HDD with the new Samsung 970 PRO (w/ Caddy), and then configuring the BIOS BOOT MENU to boot from the SSD (moving it into position 1)?

or 

2- Once the cloning process is done and I swap the drives, will the Bios automatically detect the new 970 PRO and start up since it has NVMe 1 and NVMe 0?

3- If i'm using Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to the Samsung 970 PRO, will it transfer my Windows 10 in the cloning process so I do not have to reinstall windows 10?

4- As far as the cloning process goes, I am going from a 500Gb HDD to a 1Tb Samsung 970 PRO SSD and when I move over all partitions I still have 480GB of space not being cloned ... Do I need to resize the primary partition (make the c: larger)  in order to have access to the rest of the storage? or can I clone the HDD as is and allocate the drive after the fact?

Any advice on Bios settings and such to make this transition as smooth as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time

Options

78 Posts

01-19-2020

CH

86 Signins

1225 Page Views

• Views: 1225
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:T480 Upgrade from HDD to SSD M.2 NVMe questions

2020-09-03, 11:34 AM

Hello Partial, 

the process is well known an documentated on the forum. I dont Use Macrium Reflect, but a cloning process will "clone" your windows and partitions .. 

1- After the cloning process, is it as simple as shutting down the laptop, swapping the old HDD with the new Samsung 970 PRO (w/ Caddy), and then configuring the BIOS BOOT MENU to boot from the SSD (moving it into position 1)?

Yes ...it should be that

2- Once the cloning process is done and I swap the drives, will the Bios automatically detect the new 970 PRO and start up since it has NVMe 1 and NVMe 0?

Once again ... your 970 Pro should be detected ang boot up on your "old" clone windows.

3- If i'm using Macrium Reflect to clone my HDD to the Samsung 970 PRO, will it transfer my Windows 10 in the cloning process so I do not have to reinstall windows 10?

No need to reinstall ..it is the goal of the cloning process. 

4- As far as the cloning process goes, I am going from a 500Gb HDD to a 1Tb Samsung 970 PRO SSD and when I move over all partitions I still have 480GB of space not being cloned ... Do I need to resize the primary partition (make the c: larger)  in order to have access to the rest of the storage? or can I clone the HDD as is and allocate the drive after the fact?

Once again a didn't use Macronium, but with magician (the Samsung Software) for the ssd drives, could work for the cloning. And in my memory it allows all the free space to C and clone the other partition at the same seize. 

Your bios should be fine as it is exept for boot order, but I read something about Secure boot and legacy ... you could read this 

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“! If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"! T40P, T43, T60, T410, T420S, T450S, T480, T14 Gen1 ... Always Thinkpad. I don't work for Lenovo, I just like Thinkpads and try to help...
Options

78 Posts

01-19-2020

CH

86 Signins

1225 Page Views

• Views: 1225
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:T480 Upgrade from HDD to SSD M.2 NVMe questions

2020-09-06, 20:25 PM

One precision, you should disable internal battery before open your laptop, take off your HDD and install the SSD M.2 tray... 

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“! If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"! T40P, T43, T60, T410, T420S, T450S, T480, T14 Gen1 ... Always Thinkpad. I don't work for Lenovo, I just like Thinkpads and try to help...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete