Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-25-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 1 of 3

T480 Won't Turn on, No Power Light, Tried It all

2020-08-25, 4:14 AM

I have a T480 and it will not turn on. Last night while using it normally, it shut off at half power and would not turn back on. If I have the power cable plugged into the laptop, there is no power LED to signify the cable is plugged in. Also, no matter what I have tried below, the power button does nothing. 

I have tried

• Removing battery
  • Removing battery, holding power button
  • Paperclip trick on the emergency reset hole under the laptop
  • Taking the laptop underside off and removing CMOS battery
  • Removing SSD, Ram, Wifi Card
  • Removing internal battery with case open
  • Only plugged into wall with no batteries in the device at all

I have tried all of these things above with combination of power cable in, battery in, etc. Nothing turns the laptop on.

The last thing I can think of is that the motherboard is toast and it is time to call Lenovo. Any ideas?

Options

2837 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

381 Signins

14541 Page Views

• Views: 14541
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:T480 Won't Turn on, No Power Light, Tried It all

2020-08-25, 10:04 AM

Hi topheart,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

When there is no sound from fans or light at all coming from the device. Absolutely no life at all, it is very safe to assume that we are talking about a serious hardware fault, most likely the motherboard.

There's not much else to do here then to contact Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) and see what can be done. Most likely it will have to be sent in to be assessed by an authorized technician.

Good luck

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

1 Posts

07-21-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:T480 Won't Turn on, No Power Light, Tried It all

2021-07-21, 16:27 PM

Looks like same issue for me a year later. Still under warranty so at least there that. Did you ever get the issue resolved? I'm assuming motherboard failure. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms