Options

21 Posts

11-05-2018

CA

19 Signins

84 Page Views

• Views: 84
  • Message 101 of 108

Re: T480 battery discharge problem: internal battery goes first at all times!

2019-09-11, 17:23 PM

I agree with Screaming Pepe. I've been using Thinkpads since early 1998 (occasionally in parallel with Toshiba, Dell and Apple comps). I just updated Lenovo Vintage Today - this is now a horible app. It look smore like an advertizing tool, and non intuitive at all. Unfortunately, the same is true with certain Lenovo hardware (the X and T series of lap-tops, to be more specific). Further, the customer service is very poor.

I have been using Apple comps, mostly for prviate/entertainment purposes (ThinkPads for work), but I have been using them more and more for work (scientific, engineering). I have had problems with them (currently have 3 Apple units in my household), but the customer service is way, way better than that one Lenovo offers. Also, eiach of their new units they release is betterh then the previous one (except the keyboard on MBPs and the 'cylinder-shaped' MackPro). If they soon release a new MBP with a new (old-type) keyboard, I am going to sell my T480 and upgrade to the new MBP (do not like the MacOS much, but the /bad/ way how Lenov has been treating customers is sufficient for me to drive me to MBPs).

P.S.

The first-internal-battery-discharging issue is still present on my T480.

Options

1 Posts

10-15-2019

US

1 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 102 of 108

2019-10-15, 1:32 AM

I thought I was having this problem until I discovered that my internal battery is battery #2, and my external battery is #1.  Are you sure it's the internal battery that's discharging first?

Options

21 Posts

11-05-2018

CA

19 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 103 of 108

2019-10-15, 17:23 PM

In my case, #1 is the internal, and #2 is the external battery. The internal is still discharging first (the comp was bought last November).

Options

1 Posts

12-10-2019

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 104 of 108

2019-12-10, 13:47 PM
Purchased external battery from amazon, it discharges first down to a minimum of 5% (minimum level recommended by vendor to avoid damage such as swelling). BUT extra battery that came with t480 allows internal battery to go down to nothing before kicking in.

Soit appears to be some setting on the external battery itself that controls order of discharge
Options

21 Posts

11-05-2018

CA

19 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 105 of 108

2019-12-10, 15:21 PM

Check the capacity of the new external battery. In any case, this is somehting Lenovo could (should) easily fix, but it seems that they do not have any interest in doing this since they can chage customers for the internal battery replacement. After a year, my interna battery still discharges first

Options

278 Posts

10-28-2016

US

474 Signins

2574 Page Views

• Views: 2574
  • Message 106 of 108

2019-12-10, 15:32 PM

I think I said this somewhere earlier in the thread, but in case not:

I have had in the past the same issues that everyone else describes here.

Then I had my external battery replaced under warranty after about 10 months of ownerhship.

Now the external battery ALWAYS discharges first. As mentioned, most of us think that is a "wear - leveling"

algorythm that Lenovo programmed into the system. 

Since my external battery has many less discharge/recharge cycles recorded it is used first.

At some point in the future I'm guessing the external battery will "catch up" to the internal battery in terms of charge/discharge cycles and I'll be screwed again. Unless I get another ext. battery.... or figure out how to artificially reset/reduce the number of cycles 'reported' to the system by the external battery.

Or ... Lenovo fixes the issue  (not holding my breath...

Jim

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Options

21 Posts

11-05-2018

CA

19 Signins

84 Page Views

• Message 107 of 108

2019-12-10, 21:20 PM

Just contacted Lenovo - they cannot do anything since my warranty (3year, extended) does not cover battery replacement and they asked why I waited longer than a year to contact them regarding this. Well, if you go through this thread, it's obvious that consumers are confused and do not know what to do. I have waited for longer than a year to see if the internal battery is going to start discharging second, and this has costed me. Why Lenovo has not posted any official info regarding this (we are discussing this on their web-page, not on some 'no-name' page)?

I have to admit that Apple, whose comps I do not like much (actually, their OS), treats customers much better (I've had multiple Macs, and I have had to contact Apple a few times - excellent support, both on-line/phone and in-store) is treating its customers much better. At least the ThinkPad line support should be better, but.... Lenovo is not what it used to be.

Options

1 Posts

10-27-2019

DE

6 Signins

37 Page Views

• Views: 37
  • Message 108 of 108

2019-12-15, 22:20 PM

To whom are you complaining? Is it surprising that they don't bent a finger when the warranty is over? Lenovo is not known for it's quality support.

Also, we're on page 11 meanwhile, so there's a dedicated policy for them not to answer.

Not assuming malignity here, they probably screwed up a non-upgradable (hardware) discharge management but not realizing that people are more angry / disappointed / frustrated let alone in this disingenuous silence than with the clear message "Yes, we screwed it, the case is the following [...] but next time we'll correct that.".

So, if you want to contribute something, stop complaining here and go to all the different wiki articles across the internet covering the T480 and clearly as well as factually list all the driver and design flaws of the laptop. These articles guide other buyers. Thats the only language they speak.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete