03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 1 of 5

T480 black screen freezes after "Turn off the display" option

2019-03-11, 12:39 PM

Sometimes, when the screen of my 2 month old T480 turns off to save battery, it freezes in that state! Note that I'm NOT talking about sleep mode, I'm talking about the "Turn off the dislay" in Windows Power Options. So far I've never had any issue with Sleep mode or Hibernation. I would say this happens roughly about 1 times out of 10, frequently enough to make the laptop utterly unreliable for any serious work. Neither keyboard/touchpad/trackpoint will get the screen back. The laptop is on though, I can hear the fan and switch the FnLock-led On/Off by pressing Fn+Esc. To get the laptop to function again the only option I have is to do a hard shutdown by holding the power button for a few seconds...I have lost many many hours of unsaved work.  

I have tried to activate the power button to enter sleep mode in the Windows Power Options "Choose what the power button do", so that I would be able to go from freeze state to sleep state, but without luck. The power button only answers to complete shutdowns. I have all the lastest updates both from Windows 10 and Lenove Vantage.

To set the "Turn off the dislay" to "Never" is obviously not an option, when the laptop is idling the screen is the most power hungry device, and replacing screen sleep with a full sleep would be very slow and tedious for my workflow (reading from book, coding some, reading from book, coding some...).

I have spent hours searching for a solution and read countless of troubling posts on this forum stating that "TXXX screen doesn't wake from sleep"... but I can't find anyone with my specific issue. Nevertheless, I do strongly believe these two faults have a least common denominator.

Anyway, I contacted Lenovo (actually, she said she was from IBM) service today and received a ticket number. Tomorrow I'll send my T480 to the service center...but something tells me they will not be able to find the root problem and I will get back my laptop in the exact same state it is now :/

It is a bit ironic that three of my 7+ year old laptops have never had a single breakdown, but the oh so "sturdy, MIL tested and reliable Thinkpads" fail within a week.

If anyone have very sound reasons to suspect Windows 10 is the issue (eg. some driver thing), I'd gladly install some Linux in a heartbeat. But I rather avoid it to save me from all the data migration work, at the moment I just need a RELIABLE machine. Yes, a bit dissapointed now.

Machine: T480

Options

16 Posts

05-20-2019

BH

71 Signins

558 Page Views

• Views: 558
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: T480 black screen freezes after "Turn off the display" option

2019-06-27, 14:51 PM

Hello Joakie,

Even i am facing this issue, were you able to get a solution for this?

T&R

Arjun

Options

16 Posts

03-11-2019

SE

35 Signins

271 Page Views

• Views: 271
  • Message 3 of 5

2019-06-28, 10:06 AM

Hi,

The issue has actually vanished for my T480, it has been working without "screen black-outs" somewhere around my last post (a few months now). I was just about to send it back to Lenovo, but some stuff got in the way and I didn't have time migrating all the data, and the following week the issue magically stopped. I have meticulously been installing all the updates, both for Windows 10 and Lenovo Vantage, and I also installed the newest VirtualBox version since I had some thought that it could be causing the issue. Flawless since!

It's the weirdest thing ever. But hey, hardware & software, complex stuff, you never know exactly what's going on inside the machine. But if you are still having this issue I suffer with you...it makes the laptop useless for serious work.

Options

16 Posts

05-20-2019

BH

71 Signins

558 Page Views

• Views: 558
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-06-28, 13:26 PM

Thanks for the response joakie. I have been doing the same installing all possible updates on windows and using vantage, but it seems to be a random issue. Its so hard to figure out whats wrong. I hope it goes away on its own too, at times its annoying, 

T&R

Arjun

Options

11384 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39801 Signins

416784 Page Views

• Views: 416784
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-06-28, 15:00 PM

Often, the event viewer is the best tool for figuring out what hardware or software is involved

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete