Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

20 Posts

08-07-2010

Los Angeles

59 Signins

1072 Page Views

• Views: 1072
  • Message 11 of 19

Re: T510 Constant Lockups

2010-09-08, 8:35 AM

Have any of you tried backing up your system and restoring to the Lenovo factory load to isolate whether it's hardware and/or drivers direct from Lenovo that is causing your lockups, or something you installed or changed yourself after initial use?   (There are limitless installations of software that can create the situation you describe.)   Also, have you tried checking the Event Viewer for problems in the logs?

I can also now verify that Acronis True Image 2010 (and new version 2011) will properly create a full backup of your drive, including SSD drives and restore back again with the correct alignment for SSDs / Windows 7. (That is assuming the alignment was correct to begin with - you can't change the alignment that's already there, but if your system came with Win7 pre-installed, then the alignment will be correct.)

If you don't understand drive imaging, the point of a program like Acronis True Image is to relatively quickly create a full backup "image" of the entire drive, with all partitions, and save that image on an external or separate storage drive.  You can then later restore your system exactly as it was at the time of the backup.  Creating images or restoring from them is MUCH faster than file-based backups and restore.

If I were in your position, I would use a program like Acronis to image the drive.  Then use the Lenovo Product Recovery disks to restore the ThinkPad to the "factory state" you received it from Lenovo.  If you haven't created (burned) those disks yet, you should, as per: Creating Recovery Media in Windows 7  NOTE: On creating recovery media, Lenovo documentation is not clear on this, but if you are burning Recovery Media to CD/DVD, the first disk, "Boot Media", will be a Boot disk, and it can be a CD/R.  (I suggest CD-R for that first, boot disk.) Then the remaining, "Data Media" disks burned will be most practical as DVD-R, in which case you will burn 2 DVDs to complete the recovery set (for a total of 3 disks.)  I do not know how many CD-Rs are needed if you don't use DVDs, but it will be substantially more.  You can also restore your ThinkPad to factory load at boot-time via the blue ThinkVantage button, but it's prudent to create your Recovery Media on disks just to be sure you have them safely available.

Once your ThinkPad is back in factory loaded state, see if you are experiencing the lockups.  If not, it's obviously NOT the hardware.  Then next step I would update Lenovo drivers (use System Update for ease of that,) and also all appropriate Microsoft updates, and nothing else, and see if lockups occur.  It's time consuming to troubleshoot, I know, but otherwise you cannot know for sure if you bought a defective computer, or if you have installed something later that is conflicting or causing a problem.  But if you have your image-based backup, you can restore to your currently configured system in probably 45 minutes (depending on how much data you've saved to your drives.)  

Options

3 Posts

07-14-2010

Oakland, CA

10 Signins

152 Page Views

• Views: 152
  • Message 12 of 19

Re: T510 Constant Lockups - solved for me

2010-10-07, 19:53 PM

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the very late post, but I was able to solve this problem definitively for my T510.  Systematically debugging the problem, the conflict that I was having was the combination of the SSD and Norton 2010's Disk Optimization feature.  See the links below. 

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=47725&mpage=1#99169

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Norton-2010-locking-up-computer-during-Idle-Background-Scans/m-p/184525

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-360/Disk-Optimizer-and-disk-keeper/td-p/210879

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Will-Optimizer-Job-automatically-run-in-background/m-p/156073?query.id=546353#M78249

Disabling Norton 2010's Disk Optimization was easier said than done, because I learned from the above links that the Optimizer starts running automatically when the disk is ~10% fragmented, and once it starts running (and it will try to Optimize the whole disk when it starts if it hasn’t been defragged), then it will not stop until it’s done.  So I had to disable the feature (in two places) before the drive was less than 10% fragmented. 

Options

1 Posts

01-05-2011

australia

9 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 13 of 19

Re: T510 Constant Lockups - solved for me

2011-01-06, 0:00 AM

I don't have either SSD or Nortons.

My T510 when ever idle for long periods will freeze up, I have to either power hold reset, or wait, sometimes, in minutes or an hour, the unit will start working as if nothing has happened. 

I am running a freshly formatted vanilla Windows7 64bit, but with the lenovo tool box driver install. 

Options

1 Posts

01-06-2011

swizerland

7 Signins

6 Page Views

• Views: 6
  • Message 14 of 19

2011-01-06, 11:00 AM
Several people in this forum assumed that things are related to the windows software that was preinstalled.
I strongly doubt about this assumption. I experience the same complete lockups but I run linux fedora (fc14). Strange enough the PC-Doctor did not spot any hardware failure.
Options

1 Posts

02-24-2011

USA

5 Signins

14 Page Views

• Views: 14
  • Message 15 of 19

2011-02-24, 20:10 PM

Hello everyone,

I am having the same problem with my T510 .  I am running Windows XP-32 bits and Norton Internet Security and some very basic word processing applications (Word) and not much else.

I have tried everything from disabling Norton, disabling some windows services,  and also deleted as many Lenovo pre-installed toolbox programs as I could but to no avail  I still get a locked up system.

I just have to keep shuting it down by holding down the power button. It is just  a waste of time.

The problem occurs whenever I start any program associated with the Lenovo Toobox, Access Connection, Help Center,  or any Power management toos that came with the Lenovo system.  This is really bad since the Access Connection program is needed to fireup the wireless to get on line.  So the system is totally useless for connecting to the web.

The system simply locks up and there are no entries in the Windows System or application logs to give you a clue as to what is hanging the system. 

In fact, the CPU % stays low at 20% and there is no apparent resource strain. After a while even the task list program on Windows also hangs.

This is very disapointing since I rely on the T-Series and this makes this otherwise dependable brand  a deal breaker.

I am going to try to reset the intel graphics drivers and Windows them as someone here suggested -  to see if that is part of the problem.  But why does Lenovo want to make its customers work so hard to fix this problem?

I really hope this is not part of a wider hardware problem that calls for a full machine replacement.

Thanks for reading.

Manny.

Options

9644 Posts

12-27-2009

Canada

3314 Signins

95288 Page Views

• Views: 95288
  • Message 16 of 19

2011-02-24, 20:23 PM
Does an Ubuntu LiveUSB environment have the same issues?

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

11 Posts

08-20-2011

Switzerland

12 Signins

63 Page Views

• Views: 63
  • Message 17 of 19

2011-08-21, 21:34 PM

Hi Adietisheim

I would be interested if you were able to solve the issue. in the meantime

I run Kubuntu and the behaviour I have experienced looks similar to what a lot of people have been saying in this thread.

Typically when scrolling up or down in a browser window the system freezes. It could also happen when I switch fast between windows. It also occurred to me that it freed during boot time. Further it does not seem to have something to do with the RAM as I upgraded from 4G  to 8G and to kubuntu 11.04 64 bit.

Regards

Martin

Options

1 Posts

08-28-2011

Germany

1 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 18 of 19

2011-08-28, 17:29 PM

Hi,

I have the same problem. I'm using windows 7 64 installed by myself. The device was shipped without any os. First two month everything was just fine... The first time I  experienced the problem was when I used the external nvidia graphics chip... from this day on i had freezes without any identifiable reason in various situations... i had not the time to reinstall all the stuff, because its alot ;-) but it looks like there is no way around... very anoying problem, everything freeze, nothing you can do to track it down or somthing like that... this my first thinkpad, but already the secon device! the first device shipped was total mess... soundchip after 2 days defect, pixel defect too... Support hotline didn't even speak my language correctly..

I'm very disapointed by lenovo...

Options

1 Posts

01-17-2012

1 Signins

7 Page Views

• Message 19 of 19

2012-01-17, 15:47 PM

I'm also experiencing this issue and was wondering if someone found a definitive solution to this annoying problem?

I have the feeling these lockups have something to do with idle mode. Today my notebook froze two times while I was away for a few minutes. The power plan is set to "Balanced" in Windows 7.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms