Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

08-26-2012

Pennsylvania

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 1 of 4

T520 no internet after OS reinstall

2012-08-26, 3:05 AM

Hi, I installed Windows 8 a few months back and I got tired of it, so I switched back to windows 7. After I formatted and installed windows 7, my internet refuses to work. Wireless or wired, nothing works. It's not my internet because my other computers connect fine. I tried installing all the WLAN drivers one by one, trial and error. I reinstalled windows 7 thinking my install might have messed up and I still had the same problem. I tried installing all the drivers through the ThinkVantage system update but it still won't work. The only way I can get it to have any kind of internet connection is to usb tether my phone to it.

I downloaded another official, untouched windows 7+SP1 iso and installed it thinking it might have been the old iso and I still have the same problem, even after installing all the windows updates first. Literally nothing I can do will fix my problem. I'm stumped 100%.

The WiFi light by the bluetooth one is not lit up. The bluetooth one is. If I Fn+F5 it, I can't even change anything as everything is greyed out. I checked the bios and wifi is enabled. I literally have nothing left but to ask here. Please help me figure out this problem.

Answer
Options

7444 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29453 Signins

1685943 Page Views

• Views: 1685943

Re: T520 no internet after OS reinstall

2012-08-26, 3:44 AM

Welcome to the community!

Sorry you're having troubles.

You mentioned that you've used System Update to check and update all of your drivers. You may also wish to look through the driver matrix to check for even newer versions as SU may lag a bit behind it. The matrix is here:   http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT063271

Question: before you installed Windows 8, did you create the recovery disk set for your machine? If nothing else works, restoring to factory-delivered state would be an option.

Please post back when you've had a chance to look through the matrix.

Cheers.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

7444 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29453 Signins

1685943 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

2012-08-26, 3:44 AM

Welcome to the community!

Sorry you're having troubles.

You mentioned that you've used System Update to check and update all of your drivers. You may also wish to look through the driver matrix to check for even newer versions as SU may lag a bit behind it. The matrix is here:   http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/research/hints-or-tips/detail.page?&DocID=HT063271

Question: before you installed Windows 8, did you create the recovery disk set for your machine? If nothing else works, restoring to factory-delivered state would be an option.

Please post back when you've had a chance to look through the matrix.

Cheers.

Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

3 Posts

08-26-2012

Pennsylvania

2 Signins

29 Page Views

• Views: 29
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-08-26, 4:27 AM

I did manage to get it to work, ironically after I finally bring myself to ask. I'll kinda run through what I did incase anyone has this issue in the future. Thanks for your response sarbin.

I did use the matrix when I was getting the drivers individually. None of that worked for some reason. 

Basically what I did in order:

Installed Windows 7 through USB, formatting along the way, etc.

Installed all Windows Updates by tethering my phone to the laptop through USB to supply internet connection.

Downloaded the latest system update and installed everything it had to offer, including bios updates.

Let it restart a few times, went through all the prompts and let it restart a final time.

After that everything worked properly.

----------------------

This was a very weird experience for me because this isn't the first time I've reinstalled Windows 7 on this laptop, and each time the wireless networks were fine without me even having to install a driver. This time was totally different and really stumped me. I have no idea why the individual WLAN drivers or Ethernet drivers wouldn't work.

Options

7444 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29453 Signins

1685943 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2012-08-26, 4:41 AM

Well, I'm glad it's working now for you.

Considering that you're doing a clean install, vs a Lenovo OEM install from recovery disks, you may wish to look into a tool like Acronis True Image to make a restorable image of your current set-up. It's saved me much time in some specific disaster recovery scenarios.

Cheers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms