Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

10 Posts

12-11-2011

New Haven, CT

11 Signins

137 Page Views

• Views: 137
  • Message 1 of 2

T520 w/ mSATA SSD -- Windows Installation

2011-12-11, 7:28 AM

Hi All --

I recently purchased a T520 w/ Windows Home Premium pre-installed with the intention of upgrading to Windows 7 Professional (which I could obtain for free through my university).  I created recovery media using the original installation, installed an 80 GB mSATA SSD to serve as my system drive, installed a clean copy of Win7 Pro, and now wanted to install ThinkVantage Rescue & Recovery in the new system using the partition on the original HDD as the R&R volume to save space on my SSD.  After some tinkering with volumes I've managed to get the installer to identify the R&R volume on the HDD but before I installed it I wanted to make sure I understand what would follow.

1) If I install a fresh copy of R&R on the new system, will it overwrite the data in the existing Lenovo_Recovery partition and then use that partition to store recovery / backup data based on the Win7 Pro system?

2) Will I then be able to use that partition for emergency boot-up (using the blue button) in the event that something goes wrong?

3) In the worst case, could I still use the recovery media I made using the original shipped system to wipe everything and start fresh?  I guess my concern is that if I over-write the original Lenovo_Recovery partition I could end up screwing something up; I just want confirmation that the recovery discs (1 CD + 3 DVD) can be used to take a system in any software state and return it to its shipped state.

Thanks so much for your help,

- Oren

Options

315 Posts

02-21-2008

Singapore

577 Signins

3826 Page Views

• Views: 3826
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: T520 w/ mSATA SSD -- Windows Installation

2011-12-11, 11:06 AM

Since you have a working mSata setup, I suggest that you should test your recovery discs to ensure that they are burnt correctly.

You can unplug the msata, boot up with the recovery disc starter disc and recover to factory standard on the HDD. That will solve problem 3

Then for item 1 and 2, I normally do NOT use R&R because since window 7 debut, it has a great backup software built in. Just use window 7 to backup into your HDD. Installing R&R will waste more space. With Win 7 backup, you can even use 3rd party software such as acronis to recover the setup, sometimes on another laptop. With R&R, if there are any 'significant' changes, lets say your lenovo MB burnt out, and you had set some client security stuff, it would be difficult. Any error in the RnR backup you would also have great difficulty restoring files.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms