Options

23 Posts

08-26-2012

US

77 Signins

537 Page Views

• Views: 537
  • Message 1 of 12

T530 Hibernation problem: screen and lit keyboard turns off, but system never shuts off

2012-11-09, 20:44 PM

Hello all! Here’s some background information: I have a T530 2359CTO with all up-to-date drivers (based off of what it says on ThinkVantage Update System) and Windows 7 Pro updates.  I bought this laptop in late August, but I only started to really use it for school in September and only noticed it then and had this problem since then. At that point,  I did not wish to completely restore the computer and lose all my settings and programs. Unfortunately, I have been completely too busy (until now) to ask for help on the forums. I have tried searching this problem in this forum as well as on google search with no such luck.

Here is my problem…

Every 3-5 times, when I hold down Fn button and F4 to hibernate the machine, it will turn off the monitor and backlit keyboard, but the green light around the power button, wifi light, and “processing” light continue to stay on and the machine never enters into a hibernation mode/off mode. On normal, working conditions, under 20 seconds, the green light around the power button blinks (the crescent moon on the other side of the monitor also) [I imagine to indicate that it is entering hibernation] and then everything shuts off, to the point that I can disconnect the battery and/or power plug without losing data. But, again every 3-5 times, it never blinks or shuts the system down. I first noticed this problem when I attempted to hibernate the machine and put it away in my backpack assuming that it’ll shut down/enter hibernation in a minute or two. Imagine my surprise when I open my backpack and it’s hot and humid in there, my laptop burning up and the insides of the backup hot. Essentially what happens is every 3-5 times (so 1 to possibly 4 times it works perfectly), the screen and keyboard goes off, but the “processing” light keeps working for a while the light around the power button continues to stay solidly on (not blinking). And then it continues on that way. I believe, after an hour or two, the processing light stops blinking, but the computer stays on and is unresponsive. The sound button (sound on/off) will work and light up as necessary, but that is it in terms of what still seems to be on/working. Nothing in windows can be heard or seen, nor does it seem that it’s running (Windows) and the screen is simply turned off. In the end, I am FORCED to hold the power button down and do a hard reset. When the computer loads back up, Windows gets mad and tells me that it hadn’t shut down properly and if I want to load up in safe mode or normally.

Something to add:

It seems that the problem may lie in Lenovo’s ThinkVantage RapidBoot software. Whenever I enable the HDD Accelerator, the odds of this happening hikes up to 98%.

Here’s what I have tried in attempt to fix the problem:

I have re-pressed (multiple times sometimes) the Fn and F4 button. I have held the Fn and F4 button until (if at all) the computer hibernates completely.  I have disabled and enabled hibernation in the Windows power settings, Lenovo ThinkVantage Power Manager, and at an elevated command prompt through the powercfg -h off & on command, I attempted to even delete the hiberfil.sys (but Windows 7 doesn’t let you anymore [previous Windows does]) to force the computer to create a brand new hiberfil.sys file, and I have uninstalled ThinkVantage’s HDD Accelerator, reinstalled RapidBoot Shield.

Has any owners come across this problem? Anyone have any ideas or can point me in the right direction? I really rather not factory reset the machine if I can help it. But it has been very annoying that every 3-5 times I hibernate, fully intending to continue working once I’m done moving, and I have to hard reset and I lose all my open windows and web browsing sessions.

If I am missing any pertinent information, please let me know and I will do my best to include the information in concurrent posts.

I want to give thanks to any help and attention in advanced. I will really appreciate the help and solution to this problem as it’s the only thing keeping me from getting a full 100% satisfaction off my T530!

Options

420 Posts

08-13-2010

Tucson, Arizona

1589 Signins

6792 Page Views

• Views: 6792
  • Message 2 of 12

Re: T530 Hibernation problem: screen and lit keyboard turns off, but system never shuts off

2012-11-09, 20:56 PM

I didn't read all of it - I stopped after your Fn+F4 citation for hibernate.  The correct combo for hibernate on current T-series is Fn+F12.  Alt-F4 is a Windows key combo that closes the current window. I believe Fn+F4 is sleep.

If you have plans to move to a SSD, forget hibernation.  It is undesirable.

Check out this thread:  http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Lenovo-T410-Disable-Hibernation-function-FN-F12/td-p/407741

For all the Fn combos, see page 23 of your UG.

Options

9605 Posts

12-27-2009

CA

3311 Signins

95268 Page Views

• Views: 95268
  • Message 3 of 12

Re: T530 Hibernation problem: screen and lit keyboard turns off, but system never shuts off

2012-11-09, 21:44 PM
I'd keep Rapidboot Shield uninstalled. It causes random problems sometimes.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

23 Posts

08-26-2012

US

77 Signins

537 Page Views

• Message 4 of 12

2012-11-10, 20:19 PM

thanks to all of you who responded! I really appreciate the attention to my problem.
I do not believe the hibernation resides in F12 for the T530. I found this strange as well that it was moved to F4, but i do believe it is F4 for my 2359CTO because the crescent moon icon is on it and when it does work, I'm able to pull out the battery and unplug the power cord. If it was indeed simply in sleep mode, once the power would be pulled, when loading up windows it would say that windows did not shut down properly. (difference between low power sleep state / hibernation). Sorry I am not near my computer to see what IS F12's function, but I'll try to later today.
I would like to be able to use the rapidboot shield and hdd accelerator at some point as it would help in boot up times. i just wish that it isn't getting in the way of properly hibernating.

Options

23 Posts

08-26-2012

US

77 Signins

537 Page Views

• Message 5 of 12

2012-11-10, 22:51 PM

I am finally on my laptop now. For the T530 2359CTO (at least), F12 has the "next track" function. I had hoped that it would be assumed that I would at least know the difference between the next track icon and the crescent moon for sleep/hibernate.
If you wish to know, F1 = blank F2 = blank F3 = a lock icon F4 = crescent moon F5 = an antennae with radio waves (for wifi) F6 = camera & headset F7 = a film projector (for projectors/extended desktop) F8 = sun with minus F9 = sun with plus F10 = Back/Repeat track icon F11 = Play/Pause F12 = Forward/Next track. Any further ideas or where to Lenovo I can bring this up to or bring to their attention?

Options

9605 Posts

12-27-2009

CA

3311 Signins

95268 Page Views

• Views: 95268
  • Message 6 of 12

2012-11-11, 0:09 AM
Just something random to attempt, but can you upgrade your SATA controller driver to the latest available?

http://station-drivers.com/telechargement/intel/sata/intel_rst_11.6.2.1002whql(www.station-drivers.com).exe

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Options

23 Posts

08-26-2012

US

77 Signins

537 Page Views

• Message 7 of 12

2012-11-11, 3:12 AM

Thank you ColonelONeill!

What I did was I turned off the hybrid sleep (so I can now see Hibernate in the Start Menu) and I did as ColonelONeill suggested (whether or not it helps, at least I am up to date on Intel's Sata and Intel Rapid Technology drivers).

It looks promising so I turned the HDD Accelerator on. It really does look promising so I'll keep trying it out and post the results here later on.

Thanks again for any/all help.

BTW, I had a lot of fun watching every episode of SG-1. Too bad Richard Dean Anderson had to take a step back towards the last few seasons......He rocks (both him and his character)!!!!

Options

7963 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77040 Signins

2174663 Page Views

• Views: 2174663
  • Message 8 of 12

2012-11-11, 4:49 AM

From page 23 of the T530 user's guide:

Power conservation
Fn+F4
Put your computer into sleep mode. To return to normal operation, press the Fn key only.
If you want to use the combination to put the computer into hibernation mode, you need to change your power plan settings. To access power plan settings, do the following:
• For Windows 7: Start the Power Manager program and then click the Power Plan tab. For instructions on how to start the Power Manager program, see “Accessing Lenovo programs on the Windows 7 operating system” on page 15.
• For Windows 8: Right-click the battery status icon from the Windows notification area and click Power Options. Then click Change plan settings that is next to your power plan.

The default funciton of Fn-F4 is sleep, not hibernation.  You could pull the battery and AC mains without provoking an error startup because you had hybrid sleep enabled.  That saves a hibernation image before entering sleep mode.  The intent is to save a machine's state in the event of a power failure in sleep mode.  Not really necessary for a laptop with a battery, but very useful for a desktop.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

23 Posts

08-26-2012

US

77 Signins

537 Page Views

• Message 9 of 12

2012-11-20, 23:55 PM
hey all!
Sorry, I've been busy for the week and hadnt had time to make an update. At last, I finally have a chance to say what's been going on...
Firstly, I had neglected to mention that I had changed (in both Windows power options and ThinkVantage's Power Manager) changing the default of pressing the Fn F4 from sleep to hibernate. In the end, when I press the Fn F4, it SHOULD hibernate (which it does many times, so I know for sure that its possible).
So turning off the "hybrid sleep" ended up having some definitive results, whether for good or for bad...
At least now it doesnt hang anymore (outside of 2-3 times after messing around). BUT now, it seems, the laptop can't make up its mind. SOMETIMES it hibernates properly, sometimes it sleeps!, and sometime it does neither and simply shuts off the screen for 30-45 seconds before coming back on asking me to put in my password. This is where it gets most confusing and frustrating. when I'm unable to put the laptop away because it won't hibernate or sleep. It's like it won't make up its mind!!!
Things I have noticed: After restarting/fresh booting up, the laptop will hibernate. Then, depending on memory usage, it will either only go to sleep (so I cant take out the battery(ies)) or will only momentarily shut the monitor off. Usually when I run my firefox with its 2000+ tabs and tab groups, it usually runs 1,000+ MB of commit size/memory usage peak.
But I also have found that turning off my wlan causes interesting results. Mostly, what i found promising, is when I had checked with the event viewer and saw that the ipv6 was conflicting while hibernating as well as the intel rapid storage was not enabled (i would enable it, even if it only stays on for 5 mins).
So...it still seems that I still have to see how things are falling... but here's an update nevertheless.
If anyone reading has any ideas, thoughts, or recognizes something in what I had said, please feel free to post up. Any help/information is greatly appreciated.
Options

2014-11-24, 23:07 PM
having similar troubles and one more: when alt-tabbing from full screen application, in most cases, screen goes black, keyboard is glowing, no picture, but laptop is not halted. Long press power button, then short. Picture restores.

more of that constant problems with:

1) restoring wifi connection when waking up from sleep
2) can't open power manager (nothing happens when launching app, reinstalling helps, but not for a long time:) )
3) glitching software on-screen indication

In terms of drivers and software Lenovo is a complete mess.
My next workstation will be definitely not from Lenovo.

ps btw, i'm perfectionist, clean windows, all updates, fresh drivers, but all these stuff doesn't help.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete