Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

02-19-2014

Warsaw

54 Signins

351 Page Views

• Views: 351
  • Message 171 of 371

Re: T540p/T440p+UltraDock+external display issues

2014-02-19, 22:35 PM

Hello,

I can confirm that firmware update fixed my docking station. (X240 + ultra dock with 90W AC adapter) there was screen going black for few seconds. Screen is connected through DVI.

After firmware upgrade problem is gone (so far, 2 days working ok).

Regards

Hubert

Options

169 Posts

03-12-2012

Canada

142 Signins

1656 Page Views

• Views: 1656
  • Message 172 of 371

2014-02-20, 14:57 PM

Mark,

I installed the firmware update on the three Ultra Docks last week.  Since doing so, none of the users have reported any screen blanking occuring.

Options

162 Posts

10-21-2009

Netherlands, Hilversum

732 Signins

3439 Page Views

• Views: 3439
  • Message 173 of 371

2014-02-20, 19:02 PM

Flickering screen when at 98% battery charge (no dock or external displays, only the laptop with integrated screen!)

Model: t440p (20ANCTO1WW)
Battery: Lite-On ADL135NLC3A / LI PN 45N0365 / FRU PN 45N0366

At 98% charging the screen dimmed shortly and the power on button flickered (like in standby). This happened a couple of times (i was watching a movie at that time). After 2 or 3 times dimming i also received a bad battery message followed by a flight-mode message.

I have the laptop for one month now and today was the first time i got this behaviour. But also the first time i was watching a movie while charging at the same time.

So what should i do now??? Can i call Lenovo support in the Netherlands and will they acknowledge the power adaptor problem (is it?) and do they know about these problems and will they send me a new adaptor that doesn´t have these symptoms?

Or is this problem still (actively) under investigation? If so in what timeframe can i expect a solution?

Thanks!

--- Lenovo Thinkpad t440p (20AN-CT01WW) + SAMSUNG MZ7TD512HAGM-000L1 SSD + 16G SDRAM + 14.0FHD 1920x1080 ---
Options

1 Posts

02-21-2014

Switzerland

13 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 174 of 371

2014-02-21, 8:33 AM

The Firmware seems to resolved some issues with our screens now we are facing another issue.

We use Power on Password and if new now boot in the docking station the external displays goes crazy with entering stand-by mode and exit stand-by mode various times. Sometimes one of the displays is "good" to see the poweron password prompt, sometimes they go until the notebook turns off because of no "password entry".

If we ignore the entering and exiting stand-by mode of the displays and just enter the power-on password blindly it will boot normally and the rest seems to work fine.

Anyone else encountered this?

Options

1 Posts

02-18-2014

Norway

3 Signins

19 Page Views

• Views: 19
  • Message 175 of 371

2014-02-21, 14:34 PM

wrote:

Mark, it's definitely the adapter. The 45N0362 from the laptop is very ok on the dock, whereas the dock's 45N0366 causes the undocking behaviour. This was verified by other users at thinkpad-forum.de. I tried that again after the firmware update. Still the same thing: 45N0366 undocks after about 20 minutes 45N0362 is ok without problems. Both adapters have identical specs, but are probably from different manufactures.

I helped myself by swapping the adapters, so I'm using 45N0366  only when I'm mobile with the laptop, which is pretty seldom. I will not swear it right now, but I think that there too it causes the screen to flicker sometimes, just like pulling the plug out for a second. It's not so annoying there, because I don't have to re-dock anything.

I can confirm that 45N0362 works great. I had problems right from the start with the adapter that I got with the docking station. After swtiching (after a few hours, after reading this thread) I havent had any problems.

45N0366 does not work.

Options

2 Posts

01-07-2014

Germany

25 Signins

87 Page Views

• Views: 87
  • Message 176 of 371

2014-02-21, 20:03 PM

The original problem in this thread is definitely caused by the faulty power adapters.

I installed the new dock firmware which took care of the occasional flickering but not the original problem of this thread (occasional undocking when battery is full and the laptop is docked - resulting in screens and usb reconnecting).

I ordered 2 T440p and 4 docks in November and got replaced only one of the power adapters with a working 362er adapter (this was beginning of january). Since then I try to get the other 5 power adapters replaced via lenovo support but was not able to. Lenovo support would not give out new adapters because "lenovo is working on a fix".

Using the workaround with disabling IntelSpeedstep I can at least work normally on the docking station, but it's annoying to have to switch this in the bios when you want to work mobile to get a somewhat reasonable time on battery...

@Mark_Lenovo: Please give us a ticket/official statement or some means to convince support to hand out new power adapters for the faulty "366er" FRUs!! Thank you!

Options

4 Posts

02-22-2014

North Germany

6 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 177 of 371

2014-02-22, 13:16 PM

Dear Mark,

I have a similar problem. I bought a ThinkPad L440 with a ThinkPad Pro Dock and installed Ubuntu. The system freezes, if I connect an external monitor to the Pro Dock via DVI while the L440 is running docked. If I try to start the L440 in the Pro Dock with a connected external monitor, the system doesn't even boot (I can just see the ThinkPad Logo of the BIOS).

I tried to update the firmware of the Pro Dock, but the update process canceled. This was the update sequence:

1. Installation of Win 7 64 Bit

2. logged on as admin

3. all applications were closed

4. double click the downloaded file:  fwdphb01.exe

5. Message of the Prius Tool: "Please connect at least one monitor on the docking and then continue"

(first the external monitor was connected via DVI, later I tried a VGA cable)

6. pressed ok

7. Message of the Prius Tool: "Faild to find Synaptics MST DP hub IC"

8. pressed ok

9. update failed...

Later I found out, the my Pro Dock is not listed on the download page. This is my Pro Dock:

ThinkPad Pro Dock

Type 40A1

P/N SD20A06038

FRU P/N 04W3948
SZ 40A1 M2005L9C 13/11

And this is my ThinkPad:

L440

Type 20AS-S01F00

Could you please also provide an update for the Prro Dock type I bought.

Many thanks

Options

17 Posts

02-10-2014

Germany

13 Signins

231 Page Views

• Views: 231
  • Message 178 of 371

2014-02-22, 17:48 PM

wrote:

The Firmware seems to resolved some issues with our screens now we are facing another issue.

We use Power on Password and if new now boot in the docking station the external displays goes crazy with entering stand-by mode and exit stand-by mode various times. Sometimes one of the displays is "good" to see the poweron password prompt, sometimes they go until the notebook turns off because of no "password entry".

If we ignore the entering and exiting stand-by mode of the displays and just enter the power-on password blindly it will boot normally and the rest seems to work fine.

Anyone else encountered this?

Hi, I am also experiencing this after the firmware update.   I do not have power-on password, but I use Linux and full disk encryption.  In my case, the external display does not display the Lenovo logo while starting; it used to display earlier.  I am also not seeing the grub boot menu.  The external display works after the kernel sets up DRM I guess, but to go there I had to type in my password blindly like in your case.

Options

40 Posts

08-25-2012

United States of America

69 Signins

341 Page Views

• Views: 341
  • Message 179 of 371

2014-02-22, 19:33 PM

Just a few thoughts on this entire situation ...

First, the power adapter situation may not be as simple as one manufacturer cranking out bad power adapters or as a tolerance issue.  The variables are:

a)A power adapter itself is complicated (a feedback switching power supply with certain design constraints involving failure modes).  It would be possible to design a power adapter that meets all reasonable tests but will behave bizarrely with certain frequencies of load (meaning that the laptop draws current from the adapter in an amount that varies rapidly).  The power adapter could interact badly with the power supply in the laptop itself (another switching power supply, likely).

b)The laptop itself is likely to have a second switching power supply in it (since the input is around 20V and the internal stuff in the laptop can't use more than 12V or so and usually much less).  This may feed back frequencies into the power adapter and cause unforeseen issues.

c)Software and firmware are involved.  I believe that most power adapters have a third conductor for possibly bidirectional communication between the laptop and the power adapter.  How this works and why, I have no idea.  It could be as simple as the power adapter telling the laptop how much current it can source, or it could be far more complex and reach into the regulation strategy.

To really narrow this problem down, one would have to split out the power adapter conductors and monitor voltage, current, and the bidirectional communication.  I have the expertise to do this, but since I'm not a Lenovo employee ...

Summary:  this problem could be far from simple and may take Lenovo a while to figure out.  But it should have been caught in design and qualification.

Second, I'm really disappointed with the crap that has happened with the rollout of the T440, T540, and W540.  Noisy fans, docking station problems, power problems, screen bezels glued on, the touchpad that nobody really likes, loss of the ThinkLight, and so on.  I was considering buying a W540 ... not for at least a year, if ever, based on the information in this forum.  The Dell that I use at work is beginning to look good ...

Third, I'm really disappointed with Lenovo's lack of transparency and the time lag in getting design fixes.  There are a number of areas of disappointment.

a)With the T530 docking station speaker noise fix, it took Lenovo about a year to roll it out.  (That seems long ... I'd think 6-8 months).

b)Based on one post on this forum, Lenovo won't provide a customer with new power adapters because they are "working on a fix".  I believe Lenovo should (1) say exactly what they believe the problem is and what the fix will be, (2) establish a timeline for the fix and if they blow the timeline give the customers whatever they want (such as a power adapter that will work), and (3) make all technical information about the problem and contemplated fix public for peer review by users, including schematics, source code, test results, engineering conclusions, etc.  I would love to look it over.

I'm happy with my T420 and I'd buy a T430 without hesitation ... but this forum is scaring me away from buying anything newer.

Options

7 Posts

02-12-2014

Serbia

20 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 180 of 371

2014-02-22, 20:31 PM

Well, you're far from being the only one who's disappointed with Lenovo...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms