04-27-2017

US

17 Signins

169 Page Views

• Views: 169
  • Message 1 of 6

T560 USB Windows 7 Install

2017-04-27, 20:36 PM

Okay, I think I've tried everything, manually adding USB 3.0 drivers to my iso, doing a UEFI load of the OS. Nothing is working. We got a T560 from lenovo that came with Windows 7, we wanted to upgrade the 500GB hard drive to a 250GB SSD. The size difference does not allow us to reimage the hard drive from a previous image. I used the Microsoft USB tool for 7 and tried a few tricks and nothing...

I simple want to install Windows 7 Pro 64bit on my Lenovo with a new hard drive. Everytime I boot to USB it says it's missing drivers, I even loaded the drivers on to another USB stick but it won't read it when I try and browse. I even popped out the hard drive, plugged it into a dock, and copied over the drivers into the root of the drive. Still won't.

Lenovo is a great company but I'm at whits end and couldn't find the solution online...

Anyone have a T560 and have any clue what I need to do to get 7 installed via USB.

It's a type 20FH

Thank you!

Options

8522 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77405 Signins

2202219 Page Views

• Views: 2202219
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: T560 USB Windows 7 Install

2017-04-27, 23:54 PM

Hello and welcome,

This is a puzzler.  Sounds like you've done the usual stuff.

To back up a little: did you try making recovery media from the installed '7 and use that to restore to the new drive?

I'd expect that to have everything it needs to install.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

22 Posts

04-27-2017

US

17 Signins

169 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2017-04-28, 0:00 AM

I'll give that a try. Tomorrow I will pop in the stock HD which was shipped from Lenovo. Make recovery media and see if it works. 

I'm just curious what would happen if someone had a crashed drive and no back up and they had this laptop. There has to be an easier way than this. 

Options

8522 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77405 Signins

2202219 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2017-04-28, 0:05 AM

In that unlikely event - we all make our recovery media and backup images... - they'd contact support for Lenovo install media :)

Seriously (see above...) I'd like to know why your installer doesn't work too.  I've managed to do '7 installs on all kinds of newer hardware - including Kaby Lake & NMVe SSDs - so it should be possible.

Is the message something like "...a required CD/DVD driver is missing..."?  That it can't see your accessory USB drive with the 3.0 drivers points at the classic USB driver problem.  Where did you get your add-on drivers?

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

22 Posts

04-27-2017

US

17 Signins

169 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2017-04-28, 0:13 AM

I honestly can't remember. So many different attacks at this all failed. 

Which ones should I have for this? And yes that's the error message I get. 

Options

8522 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77405 Signins

2202219 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2017-04-28, 1:13 AM

My first try would be with the one Lenovo provides for the T560/Win 7:

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-T-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-T560/downloads/DS111779

I would think the Intel generic or Lenovo provided driver would work, but obviously something is wrong.

I did recently have to use an OEM-provided driver on a white-box build when the Intel drivers didn't work.

My expectation is that if you make recovery media - which is a very good idea anyway - it will work to put the Lenovo image on your new drive.

Z.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete