GB

14 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 1 of 3

T560 backlight flicker - fixable

2020-09-16, 7:09 AM

Hey all

The backlight on the right of my T560 is flickering :( I'm wondering if this is fixable? If so, could someone direct me to how to fix it please?

It's intermittent and hard to capture, but I've filmed two videos to show the issue:

Thanks!

-Scott

Options

865 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

106 Signins

4991 Page Views

• Views: 4991
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:T560 backlight flicker - fixable

2020-09-16, 8:28 AM

Hi Scotteza,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Usually when the screen flickering is localized like this, I've found that it is more often then not hardware related, as a software issue/driver issue would create flickering across the entire screen.

What we can do is a few troubleshooting steps outlined below to try and test this.

Test 1 - Is the flickering persistent when entering the BIOS ? 

**To test this please turn off your computer fully and on startup, repeatedly press F1 to enter the BIOS. Is the flickering still there ?

• No: Software Issue (Continue on Step 1.)
  • Yes: On board LCD/Cable/Motherboard/Discrete GPU (Continue on Test 2.)

Test 2 - If applicable, please try to connect the laptop to an external/2nd monitor and see if the flickering still happens.

• No: On board LCD/Cable/Motherboard
  • Yes: Onboard graphics card or Discrete Graphics Card(if available)/Motherboard.

Step 1. Disabling Power Saving Technology For Intel Graphics cards:

- Get into the Intel(R) HD Graphics Control Panel (CUI)

- Go to the "Power" section

- On the left navigation panel, select the "On Battery" option

- Pick "Display Power Saving Technology" | "Disable" |

Step 2. Perform a BIOS reset

- Navigate to the EXIT tab

- Press "Load Default Settings" / "Optimized Default"

- Save & Exit changes

Step 3. Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Step 3.2. Uninstall the Display drivers + drivers:

- Press the Windows key + X , Select "Device Manager"

- Expand "Display Adapters"  

- Right click the display adapter (Intel/AMD/Nvidia) and select "Uninstall"

- If prompted to uninstall drivers associated with this device, tick the box and continue.

- Perform a complete restart of the computer to let Windows install the most generic drivers for the device.

- Then download and install the newest drivers for your device from the Support Page

**Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter (might have to press twice).

Hope this helps narrow down where the problem lies.

If we can conclude by the first tests that it is a hardware fault, or any of the troubleshooting steps fail to remedy the issue, then I'd suggest contacting Lenovo support for your country directly (mail, e-ticket, phone) and see what can be done. Most likely it will have to be sent in to be assessed by an authorized technician.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

9 Posts

07-11-2017

GB

14 Signins

66 Page Views

• Views: 66
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:T560 backlight flicker - fixable

2020-09-22, 18:03 PM
Great, thank you for the detailed instructions. It seems to do this intermittently - I am going to try the above steps when it misbehaves again.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete