Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

22 Posts

02-12-2010

Berkeley

36 Signins

196 Page Views

• Views: 196
  • Message 1 of 10

TPfancontrol: Yes or No? How to control fan noise?

2010-02-13, 0:18 AM

Hello,

I am new here, got my t400s 2801-CTO a few weeks ago.

Send it to repair after 2 days: I had issues with a high-pitched electric noise coming out of the speakers?(I think that many of you must have heard of this). Got it back (they replaced the speakers) and it wasn't any better. Until I found somewhere on the community forum that this sound is common to ThinkPads and that if I disable in Bios the CPU automatic power management (in config), it'll be better. YES IT WORKED. I figure that this community is way more helpful than the whole Service Center in Atlanta.

Now I need to take care of FAN SPEED before I turn this machine finally into a QUIET MACHINE.

I've heard that many use PTfancontrol to control the speed and noise of their Thinkpads?

How safe is this for the computer? What settings would be appropriate for T400s? And where to download this software?

Alternatively, what other forms of fan control does Lenovo offer?

i've found some fan control from Lenovo but I am not sure if this would work?

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-73410

Any help will be appreciated.

Christina

Options

64 Posts

05-16-2008

Switzerland

96 Signins

1275 Page Views

• Views: 1275
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: TPfancontrol: Yes or No? How to control fan noise?

2010-02-13, 0:42 AM

First the "Lenovo Fan Speed Control Driver" is for Thinkcentres, as written on the page you linked. It won't work on a Thinkpad.

Now, as for TPFancontrol, that's a third party tool, not supported by Lenovo. Therefore, all possible damages to the Thinkpad due to the use of that tool wouldn't be covered by warranty.

Though it's almost impossible to damage a Thinkpad irreparable by the use of that tool. There are thermal sensors in the Thinkpad which would shut it down, for example when the CPU or GPU are overheating.

However, lower fan speeds will result in higher temperatures in your Thinkpad which can shorten the live of the electrical components significantly.

Conclusion:

- Lenovo doesn't offer any tools to modify the fan speed, because the speed of the fan is adjusted by the bios automatically based on the temperatures in your Thinkpad.

- You can use TPFancontrol to set the speed of the fan manually, but it will void your warranty if the claimed damages are a result of the use of that tool.

Regards, Moskito

Options

22 Posts

02-12-2010

Berkeley

36 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2010-02-13, 2:09 AM

Hello Moskito,

thank you for your reply. I am aware that using TPFancontrol is probably not the cleanest solution..yet I do find it very annoying that I've paid twice as much for my Lenovo than i would have paid for a cheaper computer with similar specs (at least in terms of superficial comparsions) and that there's no way how to make this machine quiet. for example, I used ASUS which was 800USD chepaer, and noise has never been the issue (in fact I have had never an issue with anything in the 4 years that I used it). I've got a Lenovo x300, and while the fans does kick in, it is not as bad as with this one. My fan on the t400s seems to be spining constantly - that even when just typing this post. I don't do anything that could burden the CPU in any major way (unless you consider Microsoft Word a cpu-power demanding software:).

But seriously, you say that using TPFancontrol would reduce significantly the possible life of some parts in the computer? Would you know some data or sources that could specify this a bit?

Also, I am not sure how installing a TPFancontroler would hurt my warranty - of course provided that being shipping for repair I would deinstall it.

Options

9084 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77879 Signins

2233210 Page Views

• Views: 2233210
  • Message 4 of 10

2010-02-13, 15:47 PM

Sound like a "catch 22".  You turned off CPU power management so it runs at full power all the time, which requires the fan to run full blast all the time to keep it cool.

If you turn power management back on, does the fan slow down when the machine is just idling?

Sorry I don't have a fix, but maybe figuring out the cause(s) will lead to one.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 5 of 10

2010-02-14, 1:10 AM

I've used TPFC on a variety of ThinkPads over the past several years and have been extremely pleased with it.

Having said that, it worked better on some machines than on others, and my recommendation would be to try out the version whose age is closest to the ThinkPad in question.

Given that it's T400 that is being talked about, I'd go with the latest one.

Normally, one doesn't send the hard drive in when the machine goes for a repair so the argument of voiding the warranty by using TPFC - or any third party software for that fact - is debatable.

My $0.02 only...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

51 Posts

12-04-2009

USA

108 Signins

1075 Page Views

• Views: 1075
  • Message 6 of 10

2010-02-14, 6:50 AM

I've been using TPFanControl on the T400s for a while now. It workes great on the default settings. It keeps the fan off until it hits around 65 C. If you have power management disabled, I'm thinking it would hit that mark very quickly though. Try it out anyway. Undervoting is another option to help with the heat. When you disable

power management, in BIOS, does the CPU run at  full speed on battery as well? If thats the case, you should send it back to have the Mobo replaced. You battery will drain quickly at that speed.

Options

22 Posts

02-12-2010

Berkeley

36 Signins

196 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2010-02-14, 9:06 AM

zoltanthegypsy,

as to your question:

It seems that my fan does run quite a bit - with or without turning the CPU autom. function. What I did notice is though that this annyoing sqeaking electronic noise (as if a needle was running over a metal object) coming out of my speakers is reduced by having it turned off. And that I have found as a big improvement.

Now I've started tinkering with the power management settings to reduce the fan speed just by having it run on low CPU speed with minimal performance. this whole thing makes the machine almost silent - BUT: it does become slow, even when browsing the stupid web, and I feel that I have not paid 1800USD for having a computer that is slow and "almost silent".  

Thus, I am thinking of looking into using TPfancontrol or, actually, that  I will call Lenovo on Monday and ask them to have this unit replaced (not sure this will help?) - the service center in Atlanta told me to do so after I received my unit from them without the problem being fixed.

Really, this is totally annoying: you don't buy one of the most expensive laptops on the market to deal with issues that even low-end laptops on the market do not  have.

I wonder, is there any computer that could be like t400s (solid built, good design, great portability) that would be SILENT? I am ready to shell out 2500-3000$ if I can get one...but I just don't see that there's a brand in today's business that just knows how to produce a flawless machine. sloppiness, sloppiness.

Sorry for this rant. I am really worked up by this now and by how much time I need to spend on this.

Options

9084 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77879 Signins

2233210 Page Views

• Views: 2233210
  • Message 8 of 10

2010-02-14, 16:22 PM

My T400  is close to silent, but weighs ~ 1lb more than your S.  If minimum weight is your goal it probably isn't the answer.  OTOH, from all I read here on the forum, I don't see any reason to give mine up.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

3 Posts

01-24-2010

Wisconsin, US

3 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 9 of 10

2010-03-29, 22:01 PM

Disabling CPU Deeper Sleep in Power Manager takes care of most of the high pitched scratching/whining you are talking about. This only disables the C4 state (aka Deeper sleep @ Intel). It still allows the processor to throttle into C3. End result is the processor can still throttle down the speed... resulting in decreased heat generation and increased battery life compared to how you are running right now. However, it should be noted that allowing the computer to enter C4 does increase battery life and decrease heat generation just a little bit more. I personally decided that I couldn't stand the noise and opted to disable Deeper Sleep (C4).

More info about the noise: The noise is a result of the Piezoelectric Effect (Google for more info) which results in a high pitched noise that not everyone can hear. (If I remember correctly it usually affects those < 30 Years old.) The problem affects ALL brands of laptops (google CPU Whine), although it appears to affect some more than others. It has not yet been proven as to whether the noise comes from the motherboard or the processor but it is definitely caused by this decreased power state. It also majorly affects Intel processors beginning with the Core2 Duo line and some AMD processors. I have seen reports of it in Apple MacBook Pros, ThinkPads, HP's, Toshiba's, Sony's and all the way down the line. Luckily, Lenovo makes it real easy to disable CPU Deeper sleep. My HP required a BIOS update to do so and even then it only worked to reduce about 60% of the noise. In my T500 I don't notice it unless I have my ear on my keyboard (kinda hard to type that way :) ).

After undoing your BIOS changes and disabling CPU Deeper Sleep... see how the fan reacts. If it's still a problem, then look towards other ways of reducing the fan noise. But my fan almost never runs.

Options

6 Posts

11-12-2019

Canada

31 Signins

257 Page Views

• Views: 257
  • Message 10 of 10

2019-12-19, 5:20 AM

enable power management Aka (C1E) set your power plan to balanced and move the slider to the middle. this will allow the your system to operate at the max base clockspeed while being able to turbo if load increases.
fan will only kick in minimally.

now, if you want the system to be extremely quiet you have to disable turbo boost this will limit the TDP of your system and will now allow it to draw any more power than the manufacturers base ckock spec requires. example: core i7 8565u is specified to have a TDP of 15 wattes (power is not exactly TDP but they are proportional to an extent) to produce 1.8-1.99 GHz.
but when turbo is on it can draw almost double the TDP and hit a frequency of 4.1 +. in desktops you can opperate at 4 in thinkpads dont even go there ( yes, i know the box said up to 4.6 but its BS you can hit that frequency for mere second at a time. then you will be down clocked to cool off. but WAIT you just pulled 30 watts of power and then you can not use it ?? yup, the CPU will now dissipate the energy as heat. which will trigger the fans .

HINT your real issue is not fan or noise it power limits being incompatible with the cooling solution in your machine.lower power limits or even turn off turbo. ( set processor max frequency in advanced power plan options to 99%) - 100 is turbo.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)