10-18-2020

GB

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 3

Tails USB Boot Problem

2020-10-19, 15:36 PM

Hi not sure if this problem has been mentioned before.

Just got a Thinkpad 460s with Windows 10 Pro on it. Trying to boot Tails OS from a USB stick. I get to the Boot Menu fine enough but everytime I select the USB stick it goes to a black screen and then goes back to the Boot Menu. My HP Pavilion recognises it straight away!

Is there some boot setup I need to change or is it an issue with how I am installing Tails on the stick or the stick itself? I use the Tails reccomended Etcher to make the disk and I format the disk NFTS.

Would appreciate some help, really need Tails. 

Options

8516 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77398 Signins

2201679 Page Views

• Views: 2201679
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Tails USB Boot Problem

2020-10-19, 16:01 PM

I've never heard of Tails but I just pulled down the USB image and took a look at it.  Seems to be EFI-bootable so try this:

Use an MBR-partitioned FAT-32 formatted flash drive. Use 7zip or other (un)archiving tool and extract the contents of the image to the flash drive.  Try booting that.

Sorry but I don't have time to dig around figuring out Etcher and what might be going on.  Generally one would not use NTFS for this kind of thing.  It may be that your HP BIOS can handle that, or perhaps it's booting in legacy mode.

Moving to Other Linux forum in hopes that someone there has experience with Tails.

[edit to add] Tried my suggested approach and it boots fine on my X1 Yoga Gen 5.  Boot mode is UEFI only, and it wasn't necessary to turn off Secure Boot.

[unsolicited suggestion] If you're going to use this regularly, consider putting it on an NVMe or SATA m.2 SSD in an external enclosure.  Sort of a "fat" flash drive.  Fast :)  I may test it in loop mode and add it to my multiboot turbo flash drive.  Don't know if I can loop an img. Will test in a bit...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

2 Posts

10-18-2020

GB

2 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Tails USB Boot Problem

2020-10-19, 21:56 PM

Unfortunatly that didn't work. Same problem occurs. The only thing I can think of is that I had a dual installation of Windows 10 and Kubuntu before. I deleted the Kubuntu, do you think this could be something do with it? Some element of Grub that might be left that is affecting it? A friend of mine told me that they personally don't think thats the case, that it shouldn't affect whether a USB boots up or not. The only other thing I can think of is if it is the disk, but then that doesn't explain why my HP loads it up.

EDIT: I've just realised that its not just Tails, I tried putting Kubuntu on the USB and the same problem happens. With a Windows loaded on a disk there are no problems, strange!?!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete