Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-02-2019

United States of America

11 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 1 of 2

Text mouse pointer keeps changing into scroll mouse pointer

2020-04-08, 4:35 AM

At least once every day, the I-beam mouse pointer that appears when I hover over text would suddenly change into the pointer with a small scroll bar that normally appears when I use the middle button above the touchpad to scroll. It would stay this way until I either rebooted or I went into the Mouse Properties settings, changed the pointer scheme to something else, and then changed it back. In addition to this, a small black box would appear around my regular mouse pointer, but only when it is on my second display. This issue started occurring quite a while ago, and it was initially less frequent. Now it occurred daily and sometimes multiple times per day. It would happen at a different time every day.

I have tried updating my mouse, touchpad, keyboard, and graphics drivers using both the device manager and Lenovo Vantage. Here is all the information about my system that I can think of:

Model: ThinkPad T470s, 20HF006LUS

OS: Dual boot Windows 10 Pro 10.0.18363 Build 18363 and Ubuntu, the problem occurs on Windows and started before I installed Ubuntu

Synaptics Pointing Device Driver: Provided by Synaptics, version 19.3.4.224

HID-compliant mouse Driver: Provided by Microsoft, version 10.0.18362.1

HID-compliant touch pad Driver: Provided by Microsoft, version 10.0.18362.175

Intel(R) HD Graphics 620 Driver: Provided by Intel Corporation, version 26.20.100.7755

Keyboard driver: Provided by Microsoft, version 10.0.18362.1

Second Display: 1600x900, connected via HDMI

External mouse connected via USB

Options

7 Posts

08-26-2018

United States of America

14 Signins

68 Page Views

• Views: 68
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:Text mouse pointer keeps changing into scroll mouse pointer

2020-07-03, 22:16 PM

My T460 does the exact same thing!  Very annoying!  I've reinstalled everything related to the mouse/trackpoint to include reinstalling the synaptics touchpad/trackpoint drivers, mouse drivers, and it still comes back. toggling mouse cursor settings in windows, and of course reboots will fix it but it always comes back.  I think it is just crappy drivers by lenovo or windows...who knows...they all produce disposable overpriced garbage.  You would think a software developer making 100k+ a year could fix it but they don't care.  It is not profitable for them to fix it - they expect you to trash your hardware before they fix it.  Sorry for the rant, just am sick of it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms