Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-10-2008

Madagascar

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 1 of 3

ThinkPad T400 BSOD Right out of the box.

2008-11-10, 3:36 AM

Howdy everyone.  I thought I would share a recent experience and see if this has occurred with anyone else.

Just ordered a T400 at the end of October, and it arrived late last week (Nov 5th??).

I was very impressed with the timely manner of the order processing.  I was very excited about receiving the laptop and running it through its paces to verify everything is working.

I am a missionary in Madagascar, so I had the maching shipped to my family who will then bring it to me when they come soon for a visit.

The person responsible for verifying the function of the laptop  was surprised to find that the laptop would not boot into Vista, but intead get a blue screen of death and reboot.  Of course, the simple diagnostics were tried and a restore was done, but nothing would work.  Having Googled the issue I came across several people that ended up having to get their mainboard replave after having this same problem.

However, this AM I was surprised to get the following information in an email:

Good news! I got your laptop up and running!
I tried running the system diagnostics and restore option, but to no avail,except that I was able to pull up some detailed info concerning the problem.I learned it was a video hardware issue, so I called tech support and explainedall the troubleshooting procedures I had already run. She said the laptop mighthave been affected by static during shipment, so she had me simply turn offthe laptop, remove the battery, unplug the AC cord then press the On/Off button11 times and then hold it down for 30 seconds on the 11th time. 
When I plugged it back in it booted up successfully! She had me run it through a series of diagnostic tests and it all came up clean. 

I am most curious of this procedure and what it does.  Not being the one who delt with Lenovo support, I don't have all the information.  If anyone knows what this procedure does, can you please explain it more?

Thanks!

Options

2029 Posts

12-02-2007

Australia

9435 Signins

247288 Page Views

• Views: 247288
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: ThinkPad T400 BSOD Right out of the box.

2008-11-10, 8:55 AM

dedeaux wrote:

I am most curious of this procedure and what it does.

It basically forces a low level hard reset on the ThinkPad hardware platform.

Cheers,

Bill

------------------------------
I don't work for Lenovo
Options

3 Posts

11-10-2008

Madagascar

3 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: ThinkPad T400 BSOD Right out of the box.

2008-11-10, 18:06 PM

Thanks!

I will keep this as a reference, but does Lenovo publish such procedures anywhere?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)