KR

1 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 1

ThinkPad T490 to use two external monitors/displays at the same time

2020-09-21, 2:02 AM

Hi,

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad 490 laptop, two external Philips monitors and a CORE D34 Dex HDMI Multiport.

I would like to use the internal monitor in the laptop and both of the external monitors (total of three monitors) at the same time. According to my research this should be possible, since the device has Nvidia GeForce MX250 graphics card and a USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C / Intel Thunderbolt 3 (Power Delivery, DisplayPort, Data transfer) port. The graphics card supports multiple monitors and the USB-C/Thunderbolt has the DisplayPort support:

When I try to connect the monitors only the internal monitor and one external monitor is detected:

I connect the monitors in the following way:
External monitor one: HDMI to HDMI cable from monitor to laptop's HDMI port.
External monitor two: USB-C to Multiport with USB-C and HDMI to HDMI cable from monitor to the Multiport 

When I connect the first monitor it works, but after that if I connect the second monitor, the first one gets disconnected. If I connect the monitors in the opposite order the monitor through the Multiport works, but the one connected to laptop's HDMI port won't connect. Both monitors work separately and both connection ways (ports and cables) work separately.

Don't know if this is related, but Windows device manager says that the monitors location is Intel UHD Graphics (T490's second graphics card):

I have set the Nvidia graphics card as "preferred graphics processor" from the Nvidia Control panel > Manage 3D Settings, but it did not help:

My Nvidia control panel has the settings only for "3D Settings". It does not have "Display" task/category for some reason. My search for the problem indicates that the Display category has settings that could help with the problem.

I also tried disabling the Intel UHD Graphics, but then no external monitor worked and the internal one started using Microsoft basic graphics instead of Nvidia's graphics.

How can I use all three monitors (one internal, two external) at the same time with the Lenovo T490?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete