Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

02-28-2021

India

15 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 1 of 2

ThinkPad T495 does not charge with supplied adapter, but adapter and laptop charge separately

2021-06-21, 13:58 PM

Hello, I have a T495 since mid-2019, and I have had a few issues with it. One I had in the recent months was that the USB-C port primarily used to charge went pop, so I have to use the one with the network dock connector as my only charging port. I can't get it repaired at the moment but I hope to soon. Especially since the laptop seems to not charge at all at the moment.

This happened a few days ago (it resolved itself somehow after a while). I connected the laptop's charger, and the light did not turn on. I checked the screen, and nothing was charging. I reseated all connections (power socket, cable to adapter as well as the port connection itself), but nothing happened. So I tried to see if the adapter is charging at all. I connected a power bank that takes USB-C (I have an older phone so only microUSB there), and it charged as would be routine. I connected a phone charger using USB-C, and although the light didn't turn on, Windows did say it is charging but with the incorrect adapter (as I had expected). I tried to open up the machine but eventually gave up on it as I didn't have anything to pull off the bottom case, and screwed it back in. I tried plugging in again, and somehow it worked. Laptop was charging again. I thought it was a one-time anomaly so I put it at the back of my mind, thinking I will see if it happens again.

And now it did happen again. I have been again using my laptop normally since this incident, and it stays plugged in more often than not, while being used pretty much half of the day. After using the laptop for a long while on battery, I went back to plug it in, and it wouldn't charge yet again. Apart from doing all the aforementioned things again (everything was the same), I also tried using a different cable to connect my adapter to AC power, but nothing happened. That cable also works because the power bank still charges with it, but my laptop wouldn't charge. Yet. I guess it'll start charging again out of the blue, so I'm waiting for that too. But if someone has any clue as to why it may be happening? I have to have the Type-C port that's popped fixed, so I will get it checked eventually, but due to the present situation in my home country, I don't wish to travel to Lenovo's Service Centre that's pretty far from my home. So if someone can help me with a solution that may work, or even a diagnosis if someone has similar experience, I would be very grateful. 

More info about the popped port in case: The USB-C port stopped working completely one day, and something was burning inside when I put it close to my nose. The place I was in has a power irregularity problem, and that did mess up my phone twice. I did use a surge protector for this very reason but it still happened. I have not been there since April this year, and since that port popped electrically, the other has been working as expected to. I use it to charge every day since. This stoppage happened late in January this year.

Options

5542 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

919 Signins

28234 Page Views

• Views: 28234
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:ThinkPad T495 does not charge with supplied adapter, but adapter and laptop charge separately

2021-06-21, 15:22 PM

Hi yatharthsood00!

Greetings

To prevent further damage and also to diagnose the point of failure is to bring it to any of our authorized repair centers near your place. You can check on the list here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/partnerlocator

If it is no longer within warranty and still the nearest authorized repair center is far then perhaps any near local shop will do.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms