11-24-2007

Israel

346 Signins

1640 Page Views

• Views: 1640
  • Message 1 of 8

Thinkpad 25 Feedback and Suggestions

2017-10-11, 6:39 AM

I don't know the best way to get feedback to the people at Lenovo that can make decisions (engineering and marketing) on this project, but seeing as these forums do have official Lenovo representatives around, I am hopeful that this feedback can propagate.

The Thinkpad 25 to me, is the most exciting current Lenovo model, because it revives the excellent keyboard, the key element which was missing in all recent Lenovo offerings.

Yes, many fans waiting for the retro were disappointed with it because it was not what they wanted, but that is a separate discussion. There will be plenty of users who will like this product as is. Here I want to suggest a few small changes that, I think, can make it tremendously successful:

1. Offer it in more countries and locales. The original FRU BOM suggests that the model will only be localized in ~13 countries. I believe this laptop has a much bigger market potential. It should be available everywhere where Thinkpads are available.

2. More screen options. FHD (1920x1080) IPS touchscreen is nice, but many people were disappointed by there not being a QHD (2560x1440) IPS option. The touchscreen should also be optional, since not all folks use it. QHD screen support may require a small board re-design, but will make the laptop way more attractive to many people (this was the biggest recurring complaint about the specs).

3. Kaby Lake Refresh now offers Quad Core ULV CPUs. That's awesome, and can probably be integrated in the same board re-design that will also enable QHD support.

I believe Thinkpad 25 has more potential than many realize. It should not be treated as a "retro" model for limited audience. It should be seen as an ongoing expansion of the Thinkpad line. The keyboard will bring back a lot of customers that were alienated in recent years, as long as there are good configuration options, almost everyone will be able to find one to match their needs. It can become of of Lenovo's best selling Thinkpads, ever.

Options

1 Posts

10-11-2017

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Thinkpad 25 Feedback and Suggestions

2017-10-11, 22:40 PM

Wholeheartedly agree with you.  Thank you for this post!  I look forward to experiencing a traditional keyboard again (the whole reason I bought this laptop).  In the future, it would be great to have a few more customizable options.  

Options

13 Posts

10-11-2017

US

47 Signins

327 Page Views

• Views: 327
  • Message 3 of 8

2017-10-11, 22:54 PM
I'm so with you. My mouth is watering over this computer. If they gave us the option of making it with higher end spec's, then would last more year before becoming obsolete. The newest CPU's, GPU's, ext. That why we gotta make our case, only because its a limited time offer. Not like we are sure to get this hardware shell (case, keyboard, look) again. I wish they would make this a on going retro line.
Options

41 Posts

10-08-2015

CA

59 Signins

367 Page Views

• Views: 367
  • Message 4 of 8

2017-10-29, 2:06 AM

Count me as one of the dispappointed ones.

You made some good suggestions.

I was hoping for a better screen that is 16:10. People want more height on the screen. I don't know anyone that watches movies on their laptops; they all use them to work on. The T25 is essentially just the keyboard. Everything else is plane jane. I got used to the chiclet keyboard of the T440p but still hate the 16:9 screen. I want a better screen and taller. The MBP 15 is calling me.

Options

4 Posts

01-03-2018

US

1 Signins

21 Page Views

• Views: 21
  • Message 5 of 8

2018-01-03, 21:34 PM

I have purchased one T25, but I would want to have 15" screen instead of 14"

Options

84 Posts

04-02-2016

US

352 Signins

1586 Page Views

• Views: 1586
  • Message 6 of 8

2018-02-07, 22:48 PM

My mouth was watering at first . I own 2 classic Thinkpads which I put together from scratch using old new stock parts. I’m not a tech I work in masonry but there is just something about these Ibm / Lenovo laptops.....( that something was probably  $4000  tag back in 2007 lol )...any way I’m all grown up now and look at things from a different perspective. Still as hard as it is for me to admit I must say NO to this anniversary 25 machine. With all the respect to Lenovo . Reason is the build design. This is a great looking special edition laptop but it stands against everything about the classic 4:3 . If for some mighty reason Lenovo would produce a limited time offer 15 inch t60p exactly the same as 12 years ago with same specs , I would be the first in line to buy it for what it used to cost, put it behind a glass and look at it before I go to sleep LoL . Now back to Thinkpad 25 , $2000 is just an entry price:) add extended warranty with all the gadgets and overseas service Thinkpad 25 will cost over $3000 . Cheers 

T60p Frankenpad
Options

56 Posts

11-24-2007

Israel

346 Signins

1640 Page Views

• Views: 1640
  • Message 7 of 8

2018-02-13, 16:05 PM

wrote:

If for some mighty reason Lenovo would produce a limited time offer 15 inch t60p exactly the same as 12 years ago with same specs , I would be the first in line to buy it for what it used to cost, put it behind a glass and look at it before I go to sleep LoL .

In other words, you do not want a laptop to use, but a museum piece to admire and serve as a conversation topic in Thinkpad fanboy circles. Just buy a 15" T60p and put it behind glass - why do you need Lenovo for it? :)

wrote:
Now back to Thinkpad 25 , $2000 is just an entry price:) add extended warranty with all the gadgets and overseas service Thinkpad 25 will cost over $3000 . Cheers 

You are exaggerating. I noticed that you are in the US, where $1900 (+tax) gets you a 3-year warranty. There are perks that can knock of a few hundred grand off the price even. Upgrading to onsite is another $80. Even upgrading to 5-year onsite would be less than $300, I believe. Singapore buyers have it even better as it costs roughly the same and already includes 3-year onside + LTE WWAN. Prices in Europe are higher, as they are for every Thinkpad.

Gadgets are gadgets; they are not part of what a laptop is and would add to the price of any laptop - the Thinkpad 25 is not unique here.

Options

4 Posts

03-10-2018

US

6 Signins

38 Page Views

• Views: 38
  • Message 8 of 8

2018-03-12, 16:48 PM

It isn't just the keyboard.  The rubberized coating is more in line with the older models, and is leaps and bounds better than the finish on my T450s, which was way too slippery and weird to hold.  And it attracted stains, oil and sweat like crazy.

Yes, obviously having a taller screen would be nice.  I'm reminded of that every time I use my 1400x1050 T61 at work for light browsing.  And yes, 16x10 is a step in that direction, but the keyboard on the Macbook doesn't look usable to me.  And people are having lots of problems with it.  Not only with crumbs rendering them useless, but also with software making individual keys stop working.  So to me that system is no go.

It doesn't sound like Lenovo can get their hands on 16x10 screens (remember Samsung has a close relationship with Apple), so can't really fault them for the screen we did get, though they could have done away with the touch screen and given us a brighter one.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete