US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad A485 Usb-C Displayport Issues after USBC PDFW Update 7/15/20

2020-09-04, 17:29 PM

Hello All,

I've recently been having an issue with my A485, which I've troubleshooted down to a software issue. 

Problem: When connecting any display via Displayport over either of the two USB C ports, my display is recognized, and windows 10 allows me to configure mirroring, extending etc, as well as showing monitor info. However, there is no display on the screen itself with the monitor reporting no signal. This is while using a USB C to Displayport adapter, or when using the Thinkpad USB C Dock. On the dock, neither of the Displayports will result in an output and neither will the VGA port. This has only been happening after I used Lenovo Vantage to install the Firmware for Type C PDFW Function dated 7/15/20. At the time I was connected to the dock, and once the system rebooted, I no longer had a display.

Troubleshooting: I initially thought this was a cable issue, so I replaced the Displayport cable to the monitor; no dice. Then I replaced the USB C cable from the laptop to the dock; no dice. I tried a USB C to Displayport adapter with both the original cable and the replacement; no dice. For sanity's sake, I also tried the HDMI port on the laptop, which outputs to the display just fine. I've tried updating the AMD Drivers (kit, AMD Software etc), the USB C Dock Firmware and Drivers, and the USB C Firmware, which is already the latest. 

My roommate has a T480, which works fine with my dock and outputs to the same monitor over Displayport via USB C. His device is up to date through Lenovo Vantage. 

I think that this issue is due to some part of the USB C to Displayport chain and is responsible for all Displayport Devices over USB C failing to send a signal to the display. I've tried other displays as well, but the same issue occurs no matter which display it is (TV, Monitor, Projector etc)

My system specifications are as such;

Thinkpad A485 20MV

Windows 10 Version 1909 18363.1016

Firmware for Type C PDFW Function 7/15/20 ver 73_R0WPD02W

AMD Kit Driver 6/11/20 ver 26.20.12036.9002

BIOS ver R0WET65W 1.33

Thinkpad USB C Dock Type 40A9 SN zaf0mwmr

Dock Firmware 1/16/20 ver V3.7.3

Dock Driver 7/22/19 ver V10017

I am using the original power adapter and lenovo USB C cable that came with the dock to eliminate compatibility worries. 

I use this laptop for work and school, as it is my only computer. I have an extended warranty on the machine, however I need it daily so I can't ship it into the depot. I believe the issue is entirely Firmware, Software or Driver related, so that wouldn't help anyways. As I said, the functionality worked fine until I updated the USB C Firmware, however then it stopped working. I can confirm that the USB C ports work for everything else, USB, Ethernet, Audio etc on the dock and with adapters. 

Could I get Lenovo's help figuring this out? Losing the functionality of Displayport over USB C on both my dock at home and with adapters on the go is a real inconvenience, especially now that I have to use the HDMI port on the device for my external displays. I use this laptop and external display functionality daily and can't ship in into the depot for a few weeks only for them to re-image my machine and not fix the issue. 

I think this is a software issue either with the Firmware of the USB C ports, Displayport, Dock Firmware or the drivers. Could I please get some help figuring this out?

Options

4 Posts

09-29-2020

LU

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 2 of 5

Re:Thinkpad A485 Usb-C Displayport Issues after USBC PDFW Update 7/15/20

2020-09-29, 13:01 PM

Hello,

I'm also experiencing a similar problem with the USB-C display output since very recently. 

There is no signal recognised by the monitor if I directly connect it (usb-c > usb-c) or through a docking station (usb-c > DP). A direct HDMI connection works without problem. The Windows display settings recognise the monitor attached to USB-C as if everything worked normally, too.

I'm not sure if this problem coincided with the PDFW update (although I certainly have the 1.0.0.73 update installed) or with the BIOS update to 1.33. I tried rolling back both updates. Spoiler alert: it didnt fix the issue. 

* BIOS rollback is easy. All files are provided on Lenovo's official A485 driver page (you have do deactivate the rollback protection in the BIOS before you can do so). 

* Rolling back the PDFW was a bit more tricky. I was able to track down all existing PDFW updates for the A485 on the Chinese Lenovo page (including one released only yesterday): https://think.lenovo.com.cn/support/driver/driverdetail.aspx?DEditid=75686&docTypeID=DOC_TYPE_DRIVER&driverID=undefined&treeid=13550&args=%3Fyt%3Dpt%26categoryid%3D13550%26CODEName%3DThinkPad%2520A485%26SearchType%3D0%26wherePage%3D2

But as I said, it didnt make a difference for the issues I'm experiencing. I'd appreciate if somebody has a better idea of what's causing the problem.

Thanks,

Tobi

Options

4 Posts

09-29-2020

LU

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-09-29, 16:55 PM

I now tested a different laptop with my display setup. Everything works normally there. So, it's not a display or cable issue.

Further, I tested a bootable Linux drive with my A485 with the same result: no signal from USB-C. So, it's not a driver issue.

It may still be a firmware or BIOS issue, but it may also be a hardware defect :( There is no way around sending it in.

Options

4 Posts

09-29-2020

LU

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-09-30, 6:49 AM

I don't know what to say. Started up the PC this morning and it works. I'm using the dock to charge and hadn't yet connected the HDMI, so I realised this instantaneously. Windows behaved as if there was an update showing its "Get even more out of Windows" screen, but there was nothing in the Windows update history from yesterday. 

(I think) The last thing I did was to change the PD firmware to something else than the drivers provided by Lenovo (see my next post). Now the PD firmware appear as "Device firmware" in my device manager 

¯\_( ツ )_/¯

Anyway, it works. I'm happy. Let's hope it stays this way. I will not install any PDFW update and will also wait for a version 1.34 before I flash my BIOS again.

Options

4 Posts

09-29-2020

LU

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-09-30, 8:28 AM

So, I'm not sure whether this did the trick, but here's what I've done last:

(1) I located the "PD firmware" in the Device Manager

(2) In the right-click menu I chose "Update Driver"

(3) In the popup "Browse my computer for drivers"

(4) In the popup "Let me pick from a list of available..."

(5) I think I picked "Firmware Resource" (see screenshot) but now the device appears as "Device Firmware" - so you'd have to figure this out yourself. Choose and click "Next".

(6) Restart. Maybe wait a night ;D

Quick comment to that screenshot: The two drivers called "PD Firmware..." are the official drivers from Lenovo that are of course still residing somewhere on the computer. The other two seem to be Microsoft standard drivers.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete