Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-22-2020

Ireland

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 5

Thinkpad T14 Fan issue

2020-11-01, 11:54 AM

I have recently purchased a ThinkPad T14 model 20UE,20UD Ryzen 4750U Pro CPU with 16GB RAM here in Ireland and after about a weeks usage, I've noticed that the fan in my laptop cuts in and out when on completely idle/asleep every 3 or 4 seconds. Upon checking the laptop, the CPU load is never below 7% and the temperature is around 40-50 degrees. No intense applications are running and the air being blown out from the fan is cool. I might be wrong but I've noticed it more on battery then when charging. But its important to know that I've a battery charging threshold enabled and when below the threshold and draining while plugged in the issue still persists. 

I do not think this is a driver issue as I've ran the automatic driver updater from the lenovo site and checked all updates in Lenovo Vantage and Windows Update. I have ran the Lenovo diagnostic and the fan passes all tests. Plugged in my power mode is 'best battery life' and when on battery the mode is 'Better Battery' 

Is this something to be worried about or would a simple repasting solve my issue?

Options

25 Posts

09-25-2020

Germany

27 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:Thinkpad T14 Fan issue

2020-11-01, 19:10 PM

Hi, I have the same model and I have noticed this issue as well. I switched the sleep mode in BIOS to "Linux" (this is the S3 state, as I am told) and it seems to work. No more annoying fan operation. You can give it a try.

Best regards, Jens

Options

2 Posts

10-22-2020

Ireland

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-11-01, 19:22 PM

Hi Jens,

thanks for the reply, I'm going to see if that helps.

Did you notice any drawbacks to enabling this setting such as thermal issues?

Options

25 Posts

09-25-2020

Germany

27 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 4 of 5

2020-11-01, 19:57 PM
No thermal issues whatsoever, the fan works just as it should.
Options

2 Posts

09-06-2020

United States Minor Outlying Islands

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2020-11-02, 3:10 AM

I think it’s a good design to cut the fan in thinkpad sleep mode. First of all, the core of T14 is a high-frequency CPU, which means it will have a CPU temperature of 40-50 when it starts at normal room temperature. The CPU is no harm when withstanding this temperature. When the laptop has no external power supply, the fan will continuously consume battery power while the CPU consumes most of the power, and if the fan always works, the using time of the T14 will be very short.  

Secondly, all batteries, including laptop batteries charge on a charging cycle. Charge + discharge at an electricity range of  20% to 80% is called a shallow loop. In this mode, the battery charge maintains most numbers can be charged. When the power is less than 20% or higher than 80%, it is called a deep loop. In this mode, the available battery charge and discharge recycle numbers are less than that of a shallow loop. When the power is less than 1%, it will cause a complete loop, which will sharply reduce the number of recharges. And continuous charging up to 100% will cause overcharge, which directly reduces the battery capacity.

So I suggest that when the external power supply is unstable, do not switch the Linux mode. Even if only one fan is working, it is not a big problem. The CPU will not be burned, and the computer system still works, boots normally when it shortly reaches a high temperature of 70 degrees Celsius.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms