Options

3 Posts

07-24-2020

BG

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 3

Thinkpad T14 gen 1 AMD - LCD change colors (green, blue, red, etc)

2021-01-13, 20:01 PM

Hi,

I have Thinkpad T14 gen 1 with ryzen 4750U and regular 400 Low Power display.

2 months ago after regular wake display start changing colors. green, blue, red, white, black and etc.

laptop was operational with external display so i used usb-c dock for couple days non stop before sending it to repair depo.

there they state that laptop is in perfect condition and requested OS access which i decline because issue was not OS related.

it is not because i can use it with external monitor and IR camera is flashing for login.

however built in display just change colors and nothing more.

during shipping to repair depo it probably was stored at low temperature and some vibrations are applied .. as during every drive or shipping - nothing special.

i insisted to inspect LCD cable at least and couple days later they state that display is replaced and returned in working condition.

so far so good until today.

It was stored at room temperature for more than 2 hours (it was in car trunk for ~20 minutes from office to home at external temperature of 2-5 degrees C (nothing special overall) and warm car so probably temperature was higher than ambient. Just to mention that previous issue appear during first use after whole night at home and was operational before sleep so i dont think that transport in regular car trunk in normal conditions can be the issue. It is always in laptop bag which has stripe to support it inside.

30 minutes ago i open it and it start same color changing so it is same state. working perfectly with external display but internal just changing colors.

if someone had same or similar issu? 

Can it be just two defective LCD displays or motherboard or cable issue which will drive me crazy until solved.

That is my third Thinkpad (SL500 => X230 => T14) and all are still working daily even in bad cosmetic shape so am TP fan but have to fallback to macbook air for daily operations. I was worried that macbook is too fragile couple months ago.

Options

1893 Posts

08-02-2018

US

702 Signins

10511 Page Views

• Views: 10511
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Thinkpad T14 gen 1 AMD - LCD change colors (green, blue, red, etc)

2021-01-13, 22:02 PM

Hi drekinov!

Welcome to Lenovo Forums Community

Try updating the firmware/BIOS and the display driver here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/. Just provide the serial number or the exact model under the PC section -->View PC support-->provide the SN or model-->Drivers and Software tab-->Look for the BIOS/UEFI and Display and Video Graphics and install both updates.

If the issue persists, kindly send a screenshot of the display driver/s details under the device manager. Provide the driver version and date as well. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

07-24-2020

BG

5 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Thinkpad T14 gen 1 AMD - LCD change colors (green, blue, red, etc)

2021-01-13, 23:13 PM

Thanks a lot !

I  dont know how but latest BIOS update 1.30 which i didnt apply last week solved the issue.

however i think that it might just reset something.

because i was on 1.29 and it was perfectly working until today.

First i apply latest cumulative update for 20H2 which was pending for couple days and then blindly run bios update .. 

i was really nervious that BIOS update can go very wrong  because without operational built in LCD i didnt know if it is doing well or stuck.

As soon as fan spin at 100% , internal display start showing usual bios update on builid in LCD.

My product number is 20UD0013BM 

and i am using latest AMD display driver - 27.20.11024.11003 and latest monitor driver 6.14.7.0

I feel it will happen again at some point but will see.

probably will ping repair center just to keep them informed if / in case that happen again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms