Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2149 Posts

07-22-2010

United States of America

10169 Signins

171967 Page Views

• Views: 171967
  • Message 1 of 6

Review: Thinkpad T14s Gen 2 Intel, benchmarks

2021-05-10, 5:38 AM

This review is in regards to the new T14s Gen 2 from Lenovo.  Before I continue.  Lenovo provided this laptop to me.  The opinions are my own.  This is smaller/lighter version of the T14.  

I have a T14 Gen 1 from last year so some of my comments/pictures will compare the 2 even though it really should be compared against the T14s Gen 1.

The model I received came with:

• 11th Gen Intel I7-1165G7
  • 16 GB LPDDR4x-4266 RAM--Ram is soldered not upgradeable
  • Intel Iris Xe Graphics
  • 1TB Samsung SSD model MZVL21T0HCLR-00BL7
  • Gorgeous 14" UHD(3840x2160)  16:9 Dolby Vision 500 nits screen Anti-Glare
  • Intel Wi-Fi 6E AX210, 802.11ax 2x2 Wi-Fi+ Bluetooth 5.2
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon X55 5G Model M.2 card - RF System with embedded eSIM functionality
  • IR and 720p Camera with privacy shutter
  • 57Wh battery supports Rapid Charge(up to 80% in 1hr) with 65W AC adapter
  • Standard Ports[2]

• 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1
    • 1x USB 3.2 Gen 1 (Always On)
    • 2x Thunderbolt 4 / USB4™ 40Gbps (support data transfer, Power Delivery 3.0 and DisplayPort™ 1.4a)
    • 1x HDMI 2.0
    • 1x Ethernet extension connector
    • 1x headphone / microphone combo jack (3.5mm)
    • 1x side docking connector

Below is a picture of the screens outdoor.  The left side is a T14 UHD screen and right side is the T14s UHD screen that is anti glare.  Notice the reflection/glare on the T14 screen.  Both screens were 500 nit screens.  The T14 is glossy the T14s was Anti glare.  I think its a matter of preference. which is better. I prefer the Anti glare screen myself.  Both screens are really nice to look at.  I think movies may look slightly better on the glossy T14 screen but for me working on spreadsheets or office docs I prefer the Anti Glare screen.  Under certain lighting situations the glare on the T14 as well as my X1Y3 get annoying to the point I had the brightness up higher than what I normally would use to offset reflections.

The laptop came with a Samsung ssd see below benchmark

I also ran some additional benchmarks see below.  All benchmarks ran with AC Adapter plugged in and power set to best performance.

I weighed both my T14 from last year and the T14s from this year.  T14s on left side.

I really like the trackpad of the T14s vs the T14.  Its super smooth like glass to me.  The T14 was kind of rough or at least not smooth.

Back to the glare from the T14.  I know i took the picture at an angle but even if i took from the other direction there is only glare/reflection on the T14 not the T14s

I did not get a chance to run the battery down yet to test battery life BUT i did test sleep/hibernate to check for battery drain.  Prior to running test I charged the battery to 100%.  I also turned off USB always on and I turned off fast start up.  I disconnected AC adapter;  then at 4:39pm I put laptop to sleep by closing lid.  Hibernate was set for 300 minutes.  Per sleep study it went in to hibernate at 9:39pm.   At 6:50am i opened lid and laptop turned on almost instantly and battery was at 98%.

Fan is really quiet during my short 2 days except while running benchmarks and while i was doing Windows/Lenovo vantage updates.  It was not loud either although I know fan was on.  Right now i have 13 tabs open in Microsoft edge and fan is on  and laptop is cool 38-41C.  The only reason i know it is on is because HWinfo says its spinning at 2587 rpm.  Its really quiet i didnt even know the fan was on until i put my ear near exhaust.  While running benchmarks fans did spin up and did not slow down until temperatures dropped back to 39C.  This is on better performance mode.  I will try the next few days on better battery to see if fan turns off.  Im thinking at 38C fan should turn off?

I really like the antiglare screen, the super smooth larger trackpad(I personally use the Trackpoint 90% of the time), great keyboard(I read keyboard travel was reduced but I couldn't really tell), light weight (under 3 pounds)  and how quiet the laptop is.  Build quality is excellent.  RAM is soldered though so you will need to order with whatever you need upfront.  There is a full size hdmi port but if you need ethernet you will need to get a dongle.  The paint is different too.  I dont know if its my imagination or not but the exterior seems to be less prone to fingerprints compared to my T14 or X1Y3.  I see no fingerprints after 2 days which is a record for me.  I say exterior because I still see my fingerprints on the keyboard deck where i held it.  Some new things I noticed for me at least.  Fingerprint scanner is built in to power button.  It worked very fast compared to my T490, T14 or X1Y3.  I did not have to try to scan more than once.  With that being said I use the Windows Hello camera now.  That works great too.  Other new things would be Thunderbolt 4, Intel Xe graphics and option for 5G WWAN.  I plugged in a Thunderbolt dock from a competitor(my work dock) and it recognized it with no problems.  External mouse, sound, and screen worked right after it installed the needed drivers automatically.

Please feel free to ask any questions.  I will do my best to answer.  Below are links to psref and the data sheets.  Looking at Lenovo site its available now.

PSREF

DATA SHEET

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
T14s Gen 2, T14, T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

4154 Posts

08-02-2018

Singapore

831 Signins

21454 Page Views

• Views: 21454
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Thinkpad T14s Gen 2 Intel review, benchmarks

2021-05-10, 6:36 AM

Great! Very detailed review. Thanks green5178!

Cheers!

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

2 Posts

05-14-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 6

Re:Review: Thinkpad T14s Gen 2 Intel, benchmarks

2021-05-14, 16:53 PM

Great, timely review. In the absolute sense, you said you liked the keyboard on the T14s gen 2. How does it compare to the gen 1, or the T14?

thanks

Greg

Options

2149 Posts

07-22-2010

United States of America

10169 Signins

171967 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-05-14, 17:08 PM

@ Greg03 wrote:

Great, timely review. In the absolute sense, you said you liked the keyboard on the T14s gen 2. How does it compare to the gen 1, or the T14?

thanks

Greg

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

I know from reading other websites they said they key travel was reduced from 1.8mm to 1.5 but i personally cannot tell the difference.  With that being said my daily driver is my X1 Yoga 3rd gen and that could be why i cant tell a difference.  I use the T14 occasionally and i dont notice anything drastic.  As to Gen 1 I dont have that so i cant say.  I still prefer typing on it compared to my work computer XPS13.  Just my personal opinion.

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Options

2 Posts

05-14-2021

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 6

2021-05-15, 11:28 AM
This helps! Again, thanks for the review.
Options

2149 Posts

07-22-2010

United States of America

10169 Signins

171967 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-05-17, 14:11 PM

@ Greg03 wrote:

This helps! Again, thanks for the review.

You're welcome.

Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms