Canada

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad T15p - lspci NVIDIA issue while installing Debian

2021-02-23, 4:33 AM

Hello all,

I recently bought a T15p and am in the process of installing a dual system debian/win10. I got everything fine on the grub/win10 side but when I try to run debian after installation I get several lspci errors and the system stays stuck.

I attached s few images of the screen and some attempts to get it solved.

I tried to blacklist nouveau as I red something that it could help to no avail. Perhaps someone out there has had similar issues? I know the system should work on Linux as lenovo themselves sell it with ubuntu, but I dont want to deal with ubuntu.

https://imgur.com/a/RQApDLA

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Options

794 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

313 Signins

3905 Page Views

• Views: 3905
  • Message 2 of 6

Re:Thinkpad T15p - lspci NVIDIA issue while installing Debian

2021-02-26, 15:07 PM

Hello,

Linux software teams use only non-proprietary "open source" information to develop the software codes.  Unfortunately NVIDIA corporation does not release the driver software or the information a developer needs to write driver software in a non-proprietary manner.  So the initial installation packages do not contain the drivers for nvidia hardware.

This is handled in practice by the additional repositories named "non-free," which freedom reference is for having proprietary licensing terms and not requiring a payment.

Which flavor of Debian Buster did you download from Debian.org?   You did select the "amd64" version?  (It works on 64bit intel processors too, the installer automatically deals with the differences.  If your computer is less than 10 years old, it is 64 bit bus.)  At first it is safest to select a desktop environment using X0rg to get NVIDIA hardware running.

Within the FAQ for installation are instructions for "How do I create my bootable USB from the .iso download."  Follow the appropriate one exactly. 

Then I like to test the liveUSB first before installation.  Did you boot into the live image successfully?   IF the live image gives the same problem, try disabling nvidia graphic adapter inside BIOS.  IF that works install and then investigate activating the rpmfusion non-free repositories, and finding exactly which driver file supports your exact nvidia card, then using apt command to install the package.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

3 Posts

02-23-2021

Canada

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2021-02-26, 23:02 PM

HI!

I was using debian-10.7.0-amd64-DVD-1

I just tried again using firmware-10.8.0-amd64-DVD-1 freshly downloaded.

All I got with both is a blinking cursor on the top left corner during regular startup.

While on recovery mode today after the fresh install, I get the attached when running a log, and indeed failed to load nvidia driver even after installing connected to the internet and using the firmware package.

I checked the bios but it doesn't give me the option to disable the video card, only "Boot display device: Thinkpad LCD/HDMI/USB-C"

Using the live image failed to load the driver as well.

Options

3 Posts

02-23-2021

Canada

3 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2021-02-27, 0:50 AM

just installed nvidia/gp107/gr/sw_nonctx.bin  manually. It seems to have installed properly.

still stuck at blank screen on startup... errors remaining below:

https://ibb.co/LDy7KsT
https://ibb.co/C85f4Tq
https://ibb.co/drMnYWL
https://ibb.co/p1DXq2x

Options

794 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

313 Signins

3905 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2021-02-27, 18:02 PM

Hello,

At least today the Lenovo.com sales page does NOT list Ubuntu 18.04 available preinstalled upon "Thinkpad T15p"  There was an offer for Ubuntu preinstalled on the version that has no "p" and that "Thinkpad T15" did not have nvidia installed, the spec sheet says INTEL UHD graphics.

As an experiment I suggest trying a Live USB for Fedora 33.  Download the Workstation version, set BIOS to factory defaults, Optimize for OS, plug the USB in and see what happens.  

Another thing to try is an external monitor via HDMI plug.  (I use my SONY Bravia smart TV that way sometimes...)  If you can get a video screen working additional troubleshooting and hopefully activating the normal screen is easier.

Also in the old days, sometimes the very first boot would pause on a black screen for quite a while.  Have you taken an exercise break while black screen is showing?  Then following startups were much faster.

Have you looked at this Debian document?  https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers/Troubleshooting.

Good Luck!

Usedtoberich

Options

794 Posts

05-14-2020

United States of America

313 Signins

3905 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2021-02-27, 18:11 PM

Oh and PS>

I had trouble installing a version of linux a few months ago.  During install I selected to encrypt the drive.  After the first boot failed I patiently paged through to line 600+ of the dmesg display.  On the way to viewing line 600+ there were more than one ominous messages that might explain why it did not boot, including display errors.   But the last message was "Passphrase not recognized."  Correctly entering the passwords on the next cold boot resulted in success!    On initial install booting, the LAST thing checked is whether the password is correct.

Usedtoberich

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms