Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

13 Posts

07-02-2014

Kalamazoo, MI

21 Signins

253 Page Views

• Views: 253
  • Message 1 of 6

Thinkpad T440 freezes on thinkpad screen

2014-07-25, 13:49 PM

I want to reiterate here that I am an A+ Certified Technician and also a Lenovo Certified Technician and that I have performed many system board replacements on T440 laptops. I have never had so much grief until I had my support nightmares with this particular T440.

This computer originally had an issue with the 2100 Detection Error. This computer was previously built with no issues when it was imaged with our company's Windows 8 configuration in which I am highly sure our IT engineers have worked closely with Lenovo on. Also out of the tens of thousand computers that were imaged this way this is the only system I have dealt with that has this issue. I luckily had a good T440 I could test this system's SSD in. The hard drive appears to be fine with no issues. So that rules out to be the SSD. I ordered a system board under warranty and installed it. Everything so far responded fine with the system board replacement until I performed the model type/serial number and UUID update using my 1.86 maintenance update USB thumb drive. After that completed the computer froze on the Thinkpad Logo screen. I verified again for my piece of mind that the memory module and SSD was fine. Sure enough those components were tested fine in a known working T440. So I submitted the system board as a DOA with an explanation. I received another system board to replace with the DOA. I installed that system board to once again update the Model Type/Serial Number and UUID using my USB maintenance disk 1.86 thumbdrive to once again end up with a locked computer at the Thinkpad Logo screen. I have replaced a couple of other T440 and T540 system boards during this time also with using the same USB maintenance disk thumbdrive used for updating those system's model type/serial number and UUID. So I know the issue is not with the USB thumb drive. I am very frustrated with this system. I hate to keep submitting DOAs for the same system. I need help please.

Since the BIOS is part of the system board and I have not had these issues with the many T440 system boards I have replaced successfully that performing a BIOS update is not a good excuse why this doesn't work on this particular T440 and since after replacing a system board under "DOA" and updating with the maintenance disk and froze there is not a way I can run a BIOs update on this system now right?

Answer
Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Views: 427409

Re: Thinkpad T440 freezes on thinkpad screen

2014-07-25, 20:33 PM

I'm not sure. All I know is that I read somewhere that the maintenance disk needed to be run in legacy mode. This is not first-hand knowledge. It is just an idea from the rear area of the brain. (maybe lower down)  If you are hanging at the ThinkPad logo, there isn't much you can do, but try pulling the battery and CMOS to reset.  I wouldn't expect the UUID to be the problem.  I do believe that serial number and UUID are stored differently on all the 40 machines.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Replies(5)
Options

13 Posts

07-02-2014

Kalamazoo, MI

21 Signins

253 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2014-07-25, 19:11 PM

Okay. I have spent a lot of hours trying to resolve the issues. I decided to refer back to the original system board and at lease that one doesn't get stuck on the Thinkpad or Lenovo screen dependant if Secure Boot has been selected which it is required for our company's boot configuration. The original issue like with the other system boards ordered for this difficult T440 all had to do with a 2100 Detection Error on HDD0. The SSD tests out fine on the known working T440. I must also add. All hardware on the computer is all stock Lenovo. No add-ons or hardware changes other than warranty parts directly from Lenovo. This computer is a "lemon" for sure. Any ideas on what else I can do to fix this so I can put it back into service?

Thank you,

Chris Schneider

Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2014-07-25, 19:30 PM

Muy understanding is that UEFI needs to be turned off before running maintenance disk

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

Options

13 Posts

07-02-2014

Kalamazoo, MI

21 Signins

253 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-07-25, 19:44 PM

Does this require me to order another replacement system board? Do I just undo the model type/serial using my maintenance disk? Can I or do I need to undo the UUID in this situation?

Options

13 Posts

07-02-2014

Kalamazoo, MI

21 Signins

253 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-07-25, 19:45 PM
I used what ever BIOS setting came on the system board as delivered. I didn't know this needed to be checked before running the maintenance disk.
Answer
Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-07-25, 20:33 PM

I'm not sure. All I know is that I read somewhere that the maintenance disk needed to be run in legacy mode. This is not first-hand knowledge. It is just an idea from the rear area of the brain. (maybe lower down)  If you are hanging at the ThinkPad logo, there isn't much you can do, but try pulling the battery and CMOS to reset.  I wouldn't expect the UUID to be the problem.  I do believe that serial number and UUID are stored differently on all the 40 machines.

Rich

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms