Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

08-01-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 20
  • Message 1 of 4

Thinkpad T470s | Display Output Issues | Not Detecting Correct HDMI Resolution

2021-08-01, 18:34 PM

Hi, I'd first like to preface this by saying thanks for your time reading this. Hopefully if anybody is able to assist here, it may help others in the same situation.

Here's a summary of the issue:

I recently purchased a new 4k monitor (ViewSonic VX-3211-4K-MHD) for use with my Thinkpad T470s, which I absolutely adore. To my disappointment, upon connecting the two devices together with multiple HDMI2.0 compatible cables, Windows only wants to use 1920x1080 resolution.  My laptop is dual-booted, so I was able to test two other operating systems, Debian Linux and MacOS Sierra - both displayed 3840x2160 4k natively, straight away. No drivers needed.

Windows Display Settings only wants to show me the below options: 

Resolutions offered by Windows. Maximum is 1920x1080

My T470s has an i7-7600U, which uses Intel HD Graphics 620 - this is capable of displaying 3840x2160 at 30hz via HDMI, and 60hz via USB-C Thunderbolt. Lenovo's OEM Specsheet also mentions this.

Now as I'm sure we'd all agree, 1920x1080 is less than favourable on a 32" monitor - so here is what I've tried:

- Updating drivers natively

- Rolling back to default Windows drivers

- Directly installing ViewSonic drivers from website

- Directly installing ViewSonic drivers for past versions of windows (namely 8&7) from website

- Reconfiguring BIOS

- Unpacking ViewSonic driver installers attempting to find the driver itself to manually install (No luck)

- Unplugging and plugging and unplugging and plugging and so on...

- Changing resolution in Lenovo's provided Intel HD graphics control panel (Shows the same as windows settings, max 1080p)

- Providing custom resolution in Lenovo's provided Intel HD graphics control panel ("The custom resolution exceeds maximum bandwidth capacity" error upon pressing "ok")

- Uninstalling Lenovo's OEM Intel HD graphics drivers and force installing Intel's own DCH HD graphics drivers, which are newer, and selecting from list (Shows the same as windows settings, max 1080p)

- Uninstalling Lenovo's OEM Intel HD graphics drivers and force installing Intel's own DCH HD graphics drivers, which are newer, and providing custom resolution ("Unable to add settings. Reason: Mode not supported" upon submitting - I'm guessing this is the same error as "The custom resolution exceeds maximum bandwidth capacity")

- Adding custom resolutions to windows directly via CRU.exe 3rd party utility - does nothing

- Choosing different refresh rates in Windows setting in case displayed resolution modes are dependent on it - turns out they're not

- Uninstalling Intel HD Graphics 620 as a device, along with its software, to let windows sort itself out once again upon next reboot

- Scouring regedit for a display output page, which I couldn't find

- Checking the Monitor's config menu for any sort of resolution mode limitations - nothing.

And what I haven't tried:

- Full reset (With the amount of software & customisation installed here, that's really not much of an option)

- Connecting monitor via USB-C -> DisplayPort (I don't have an adaptor, but have ordered one online)

What's weird is that Intel HD Graphics can tell that this is a 4k display - on the "Information" panel, it shows the monitor's real supported modes:

Yet these are not available to me as resolutions.

Windows also seems to be unaware that these modes exist:

Two things also worth noting:

A) Windows also does not recognise the monitor's speakers, which work fine over HDMI with Linux & MacOS - which is what suggested to me that this might be a driver issue

B) After practically giving up trying to solve this yesterday, I left my computer unlocked for an hour or so and came back to it working at the full 4K resolution - I was thrilled as I thought that Windows had sorted out the driver issues by itself - until I rebooted and it was back to 1080p. I have not been able to reproduce this.

So what do you guys think?

Drivers? Maybe a bad graphics controller? This is my first time using the HDMI port on this device. Maybe having the GRUB2 bootloader instead of Windows' default bootloader is having an impact on driver compilation?

Edit: The laptop display & this display are currently configured in "Extend" mode, but when put into "Duplicate" mode, the laptop seems perfectly capable of sending the Laptop Monitor's 2560x1440 resolution to my monitor.

Options

6676 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

1004 Signins

33695 Page Views

• Views: 33695
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Thinkpad T470s | Display Output Issues | Not Detecting Correct HDMI Resolution

2021-08-02, 12:18 PM

Hello cc2k21!

Welcome to community forums

According to the product spreadsheet, the computer can support up to two external monitors through the USBC(4096 x 2304 @60Hz) and HDMI(4096 x 2160 @24Hz): https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T470s

Have you tried using a different HDMI cable or tried connecting it with other monitors to isolate the issue? I would suggest using the recommended cable for this device and you can get it here:  https://accessorysmartfind.lenovo.com/#/search?categoryL1Name=Cables%20%26%20Adapters&categoryL2Names=Cables&categoryL2Names=Adapters&keyword=&pageIndex=1&pageSize=40&query=&subSeriesList=22TP2TT470S&systemId=22TP2TT470S

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

08-01-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

3 Signins

20 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 20
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Thinkpad T470s | Display Output Issues | Not Detecting Correct HDMI Resolution

2021-08-02, 12:36 PM

Hi jwes_lenovo, thanks very much for your reply!

In regards to using different HDMI cables, I had tried a few, all of which I believe are HDMI2.0 compatible - these all had the same effect.

Rather frustratingly, I don't actually own any other monitors capable of anything above 1920x1080 and so can't test it on another platform - however I had ruled out the monitor or cable being the issue here as both work fully on Linux / MacOS.

I'm not too familiar with HDMI standards but my theory was that maybe something is failing with the modern HDMI protocol and my computer is downgrading to HDMI1.0 or DVI-HDMI as a 'fallback', which might explain my computer not detecting the built-in speakers and display modes.

I have ordered a USB-C - DisplayPort cable with hopes of this being a bit more 'plug-and-play', so will update this thread if it works to help anyone else who might face this issue in the future.

Thanks

cc2k21

Options

6676 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

1004 Signins

33695 Page Views

• Views: 33695
  • Message 4 of 4

2021-08-03, 21:42 PM

Having it worked in Linux with the same hardware cables does isolate potential Windows Driver issues.

The duplicate screen does deliver 2560x1440 fine so we are hoping that the GRUB2 bootloader did not have a driver compilation issue.

Not sure if you are willing but we can isolate it more with a clean single OS restore to OEM image especially if the graphics driver from the support site fails.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms