DE

9 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 1 of 11

Thinkpad T470s battery not charging when running

2018-09-19, 15:18 PM

Dear community,

(please bear with me, I am not an English native speaker.)

This is not about the "plugged, not loading" issue I found around here multiple times.

My Thinkpad will charge via charger only when it is switched OFF. It loads perfectly when plugged via docking station.

Batteries are getting empty, power save mode and all that. Pluging two different power units show same result.

Behaviour, reproducable:

• Computer running, info tray says battery 1 in use and battery 2 not loading (or vice versa), no matter if charger is plugged or not
  • When charger is plugged while PC runs, the charger indicator light right besides the power plug remains dark
  • Once my ThinkPad is truly off (shutdown), any of my chargers work just perfectly: orange light while charging, green light when finished

Additional weirdness: ThinkPad does not start when plugged to the charger. Hitting/pressing the power button at the right of the keyboard has no effect at all. Once unplugged from charger, it boots just as usual.

While typing this with 9% remaining capacity, computer shut down. I plugged it to the charger and closed the lid --> orange light. Waited a couple of minutes. Opened lid. ThinkPad wakes up, and I continue writing.

Again: charger is plugged, LED light is off again, info tray says not loading/in use.

Any ideas?

Frederik

I am running M$ Win10 Enterprise.

Options

294 Posts

10-28-2016

US

478 Signins

2579 Page Views

• Views: 2579
  • Message 2 of 11

Re: Thinkpad T470s battery not charging when running

2018-09-19, 19:20 PM

If you recently upgraded to the 1803 version of Windows 10 that may be what caused it.

When you click microsoft battery icon on the task bar does it show both batteries?

If you look in Device Manager are both batteries listed?

The windows 10 - 1803 update screwed up a lot of Thinkpads with two batteries.

So, if the answer to the above question(s) is NO try this:

The same thing happened to me on my T480

Here is how I fixed it:

I may have some extra unnecessary steps in here, but I wanted to be sure I didn't screw it up:

• Open the Device Manager by searching for it or right-clicking the Start button and selecting Device Manager.
  • Click Batteries on the list to expand it and you should see two items (maybe three items – if your machine is equipped with two batteries there may be two, but on my machine which does have two batteries only one was displayed) Anyway:
  • You will see: : Microsoft AC Adapter
  •  And one or two  Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery (s)
  • Right-click on each item and choose Uninstall device. Yes, you are uninstalling your laptop's battery drivers, but don't worry because they will automatically be reinstalled when you restart your laptop.
  • Shut down your laptop.
  • Unplug the power cable from your laptop.
  • Power on the laptop (running on batteries now) and enter BIOS
  • Go to:  Config --> Power  -->  and select the option to “Disable built-in battery”
  • You will get a prompt that says the machine will power down if you continue.
  • Acknowledge the prompt  --> the machine shuts down.
  • If your laptop has a second removable battery, remove it.
  • Plug in the charger cable to your laptop, this puts the internal battery back on-line and powers up the system.
  • Let it stabilize at the desktop – if you want to check Device Manager you should now see the AC adapter and ONE battery (the internal battery, the 2nd battery is uninstalled and laying on your desk at this point).
  • Shut down the machine
  •  unplug the charger cable
  • install the 2nd external battery, making sure it it latched and then locked in place.
  • plug the charger cable back in
  • power on the laptop and boot to the desktop
  • At this point my machine was fixed – both batteries and the AC adapter were registered in Device Manager, and both batteries once again showed up as separate line items in the Microsoft battery taskbar item and functioned properly.
If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Options

7 Posts

09-19-2018

DE

9 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 3 of 11

2018-09-20, 8:17 AM

Dear JimBobMC,

Thank you very much for your reply and detailed description. The answer to both of your questions is "yes".

(I found the hint concidering remove batteries via device manager somewhere else and gave it a try. Both devices re-appeared after reboot, behaviour unchanged.)

No I am sitting at my desk using the Lenovo ThinkPad Ultra Dock - 90W EU - FRU: 40A20090EU. Task icon shows battery symbol plus power plug. Message says for both batteries: 100% and charged.

I would like to avoid removing battery and all that. Any ohter ideas?

Options

294 Posts

10-28-2016

US

478 Signins

2579 Page Views

• Message 4 of 11

2018-09-20, 8:49 AM

I guess I'm confused.... but I'm up late  ;-)

What is the issue at this point?

To do what I had suggested you ONLY have to remove the EXTERNAL battery (the one that slides in and out),

NOT the internal battery.  So really not too much of a bother.

If my post helps a Kudo is appreciated, if I answer your question, please mark it ”Accepted Solution“ and give it a Kudo! ... Some years ago I worked for IBM. Currently I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo or IBM.
Options

7 Posts

09-19-2018

DE

9 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 5 of 11

2018-09-20, 10:29 AM

;-)

Two issues (at this very moment):

1. My answer to your questions above is "yes" - not: "no" - saying: I do see both batteries in the tray and in the Device Manager. My very personal interpretation was following the description is not applicable for me.
  2. Looks like my ThinkPad does not have a removable battery. No shutters, no slots, nothing to slide out. You may find some pictures here, a bottom view is included.
    https://www.lenovo.com/de/de/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/ThinkPad-T470s/p/22TP2TT470S

Or do I miss something?

Options

294 Posts

10-28-2016

US

478 Signins

2579 Page Views

• Message 6 of 11

2018-09-20, 13:32 PM

Sorry I had replied on mutltiple threads and got them confused.

Correct the  "S" models do not have an externally removable battery...

You could still try turning off the batteries in BIOS and seeing if things changed.

As far as I know there is no risk of messing things up worse, following the procedure except for the part about removing the battery.

Although in your case it maybe you are correct and ultimately either have to re-install or physically disconnect the batteries  :-/

I don't have any other machines on which to test.

Options

7 Posts

09-19-2018

DE

9 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 7 of 11

2018-09-20, 13:59 PM

No prob, thank you.

Hm... BIOS and physical disconnection :smileysad:? I will talk to our IT staff here. Being "just an ordinary user", this is above my level.

Will get back later.

Options

294 Posts

10-28-2016

US

478 Signins

2579 Page Views

• Message 8 of 11

2018-09-20, 14:35 PM

To physically disconect you would have to disassemble the machine.

But I think this step makes that unnecessary:

• enter BIOS  Go to:  Config --> Power  -->  and select the option to “Disable built-in battery” ...

Options

7 Posts

09-19-2018

DE

9 Signins

94 Page Views

• Message 9 of 11

2018-09-21, 9:29 AM

I disabled the battery in BIOS. BIOS shows only one battery, while task symbol and Device Manager show two.

After speaking to our IT, we found out that my business ThinkPad is still under support. I contacted Lenovo Support yesterday. Installed Lenovo Vantage. Ran some BIOS and firmware updates. Did not help.

Calling Lenovo support today, they told me to ship it in for repair. This will take approx. one week. I will be out of office for a couple of days at some time in the next two months, so I will probably arrange this.

BTW, setting the BIOS option "Start computer when AC plugged" or similar helps: ThinkPad boots when connected to charger. Windows lock screen shows charger symbol :smileyhappy:. Once unplugged and reconnected to the charger, I see the battery symbol only. Workaround.

When I got my repaired machine back, I promise to finally (?) post here. Thank you all for reading and especially JimBobMC.

Options

1 Posts

08-27-2020

IT

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 11

Re:Thinkpad T470s battery not charging when running

2020-08-27, 13:09 PM

well it works great.......on the spot, 

but after a few days the problem is back.

I repeat the procedure and it is fixed again, but then next week it comes back.....

any idea?

Spazz51

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete