Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

11-18-2013

SF Bay Area

13 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 31 of 36

Re: Thinkpad T520 vs T530 keyboard

2013-11-19, 2:27 AM

Hey thank you for the replies.

I saw there was a link up thread to a blob entry explaining the rationale for positioning the Fn and Ctrl keys.

Has there ever been an explanation offered (or speculated on) as to why they completely removed the the context key, and why it was the print screen key that they chose to put in its place.

Off hand it seems to suggest an assessment that anything that might be found under the context key, across a huge number of different contexts, is less important than having the print screen key in a more prominent position, and that print screen is more important than of the many other keys they could have out in that position.

It also puts the print screen key into a kind of "typo zone" in that any key that sits inline with the Alt and Ctrl keys is liable to get accidentally pressed with a certain frequency, and that it's preferable to accidentally press print screen (which upon being pressed actually does something) than the context key, which does nothing more than pop up a menu.

I'm trying to find some sense in the decision, but it's kind of eluding me.

Options

199 Posts

04-27-2009

Canada

538 Signins

2497 Page Views

• Views: 2497
  • Message 32 of 36

2013-11-19, 2:31 AM

rationale?

To offset the cost of developping a chicklet keyboard vs traditional keyboard lenovo used to have which now comes in backlight option as well which costs more to produce as they now have two keyboard choices, so they dont also want to invest into another version which would have a numpad - like their worser quality ideapads.

Alternatively, keyboard designer figured nobody uses context as he doesnt or something.

my 2 cents.

Options

11 Posts

11-18-2013

SF Bay Area

13 Signins

177 Page Views

• Views: 177
  • Message 33 of 36

2013-11-20, 2:44 AM

Alternatively, keyboard designer figured nobody uses context as he doesnt or something.

I often think that's the case in situations like this. But I then have to wonder if no one else actually sat down and used the thing before the design was finalized and released to manufacturing. This is just inexplicable.

It's also leading to second thoughts about how satisfied I'd actually be with remapping the Fn and left Ctrl keys, and having them labeled incorrectly. It's not that the labels themselves would be confusing since my fingers would go to the correct keys out of habit -- that's WHY I'd want to remap them. But knowing that they were remapped, and just casually seeing the labels, would produce a kind of ergonomic noise that I suspect I might find distracting.

I could keep the keys in their swapped positions and just get used to it, but I'm not sure I want to. I don't actually use the Fn key all that much and am glad that I don't accidentally hit it more often than I do, so having it in such a prominent place really seems off. I switch between laptops and desk keyboards and don't think I need the overhead.

I spend most of my time in Word, and I've customized my main Normal template with dozens of keyboard shortcuts using all combinations of the Ctrl, Alt, and Shift keys, so there's more at stake than just mis-keying Ctrl+S or Ctrl+O or Ctrl+P. It would totally change the feel of Ctrl+Shift+key and Ctrl+Alt+key combos, and mess with my muscle memory. Like replacing the C and C# keys on a piano. the chords and fingering are different.

Gah! And here I was all set to buy a refurbed T530 or T520. I like so much else about them, and Lenovo's reputation for quality, etc, seems really good.

I DO realize how overly fussy all of this sounds, and that most people here have come to terms with these issues. I guess I'm just working it out in public. :smileysad:

Options

7651 Posts

11-24-2007

USA

5818 Signins

103093 Page Views

• Views: 103093
  • Message 34 of 36

2013-11-20, 3:10 AM

wrote:

Hey thank you for the replies.

I saw there was a link up thread to a blob entry explaining the rationale for positioning the Fn and Ctrl keys.

Well, that has been the default positioning of those keys (Fn in the lower left corner) for 20 years now when it comes to ThinkPads. The original Macs were the same way. Back in those days no one in their right mind would dare argue with a keyboard layout on an IBM...

Those days are gone, I'm sorry to say...

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
Options

21 Posts

05-11-2013

USA

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 35 of 36

2014-04-27, 21:23 PM

Some of my keys are unresponsive...one of them fell off. The strip at the top is broken too. I looked underneath the trackpoint and it was blue: FRU 04W3137. But I don't have paint peeling problems. I just ordered a new keyboard; let's see what happens.

Options

21 Posts

05-11-2013

USA

77 Signins

398 Page Views

• Views: 398
  • Message 36 of 36

2014-05-01, 7:06 AM

I got the 04X1315, which is yellow underneath the cap (no backlight). This keyboard is better in every way than my old one. The keys are crisp and the trackpoint is responsive. It's also SRX (Shenzhen), which is the same company that made the bad blue backlighted one...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms