Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

01-24-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 125

Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-01-24, 19:14 PM

Hi,

I have been using Lenovo Thinkpad laptops for the past 15 years and love them. That being said, I recently bought a brand new T14 laptop a few weeks ago and ever since getting it I have noticed that after a period of using the laptop, the TrackPoint will abruptly stop working.

So far, all of my drivers/ software has been updated, and I haven't installed much new software on the computer. The TouchPad works fine, but I prefer to use the Trackpoint.

I have been circumventing the problem by restarting the computer, or using a mouse / the touchpad, but I'd prefer using what I am used to. 

Has anyone else run into this issue with the T14?

Thanks for your time.

Options

25 Posts

09-25-2020

Germany

27 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 2 of 125

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-01-24, 20:35 PM

Hi, finally someone who is actually using the TrackPoint, I thought these things were there only for nostalgia!

But seriously, I have also been experiencing issues with my T14 AMD, and I have read posts from others on this forum complaining as well, up to the point of "laptop pretty much unusable". In my case, ever since I bought the device last September, both Trackpad AND mouse behave erratically out of a sudden, but only every other day or so. Sometimes hitting the Windows key several times works, sometimes restarting Explorer works, sometimes one can wait it out, but today I had to restart the whole system. Can't tell about TrackPoint though, but I have got the impression that there is an underlying problem with all pointing devices. Needless to say that my system and drivers are 100% up to date.

Let's hope that this will get fixed at some point!

Best regards, Jens

Options

5657 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28794 Page Views

• Views: 28794
  • Message 3 of 125

2021-01-28, 21:11 PM

Hello Nate88H!

Welcome to community forums

Were there any changes or any updates made before the issue came up? Just to make sure everything is up to date, kindly run the Lenovo vantage and install all detected updates especially the BIOS and restart the computer. After restarting, check for pending Windows updates.

If the issue is still present, try the steps here: https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/solutions/ht104456-touchpad-or-trackpad-is-not-working-thinkpad

Let us know how it goes.

Jwes_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them.!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

14 Posts

08-08-2015

Canada

23 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 4 of 125

2021-02-07, 0:07 AM

Hi,

Same problem on my side. Brand new P15v and I am using the trackpoint almost all the time. 
It stops working randomly all of a sudden. No pattern is emerging, no major changes to the computer and nothing seems to be the trigger. It just... stops working. 

I tried rolling back the driver to a previous version and even re-installing it after. No changes.

I ended up contacting Lenovo's support thinking it was a hardware problem. Since I had the Premier On-site warranty, a tech showed up the next day and replaced the keyboard assembly as well as the touchpad itself with brand new parts.

It is worth noting that I also started with a clean install of Windows 10 on a brand new 512gb M2 SSD. All drivers are up to date and all updates are installed through Windoes update and Lenovo Vantage.

I personally find this issue to be annoying and frustrating.

It doesn't happen that often but once it does, the only workaround is to put the computer to sleep and power it back on.

The touchpad doesn't stop working, only the trackpoint.

It seems like a software issue and I hope that Lenovo is looking into it and plans on releasing a driver update because it seems like it is affecting their whole line up (this is not the first post that I've been reading regarding this issue).

Please let me know if you found anything to fix this issue!

Alex

Options

14 Posts

08-08-2015

Canada

23 Signins

89 Page Views

• Views: 89
  • Message 5 of 125

2021-03-01, 1:53 AM

Hello,

I was getting fed up with this issue and decided to do a full reset of my PC to see if it would eventually make things better.

I reinstalled Windows 10 with the official image downloaded on Microsoft's website through a USB flash drive after completely formatting the SSD. It was a full clean reset of the OS, not one that was done through the Windows 10 reset wizard that you can access in the settings. 

Hadn't had the issue for two weeks so I though that it was solved. But unfortunately it came back today. Trackpoint just freezes and I have to put the computer into sleep mode to have it work again.

At this point, it seems to me that this is a Lenovo software or Synaptics driver issue.

There is no pattern, nothing seems to be the trigger. The only thing that I can say is that it seems to happen more often when the computer is used on battery.

Hardware has already been replaced last month under warranty as I already said.

I won't lie, it is annoying, especially when you consider the price of the machine. 

Anyone at Lenovo has an idea of what could be done? Can we expect a fix through an update soon?

Alex

Options

5657 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28794 Page Views

• Message 6 of 125

2021-03-01, 22:06 PM

Hi Alex-a!

Greetings

Try creating a different thread under the correct board since the original post is about a different model.

Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

6 Posts

07-25-2016

United States of America

16 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 7 of 125

2021-03-21, 22:25 PM
Unhelpful comment, Jwes_Lenovo. Who cares that it's a different model: the underlying problem is likely to be 100% the same. For example, I'm having this symptom on an X1 Extreme Gen 2.
Options

5657 Posts

08-02-2018

Philippines

928 Signins

28794 Page Views

• Message 8 of 125

2021-03-22, 15:32 PM

@evn
Every model has a different hardware component, drivers/firmware, etc. We have a support team, moderators, and advocates that specialize/expert on certain models or boards. For you to get assisted properly, post it on the right board.
Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Options

6 Posts

07-25-2016

United States of America

16 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 9 of 125

2021-03-24, 17:06 PM

@ Jwes_Lenovo wrote:

@evn
Every model has a different hardware component, drivers/firmware, etc. We have a support team, moderators, and advocates that specialize/expert on certain models or boards. For you to get assisted properly, post it on the right board.
Regards

Jwes_Lenovo

Uh: LOL.  If you're advocating the logic that the very same component (Trackpoint) on two different Lenovo models, displaying the very same intermittent problem, is unlikely to have a common cause/solution then I can't help you. Not only that, the fact that the exact same issue occurs on two different models might HELP NARROW DOWN THE PROBLEM and therefore be of special interest to those who are trying to solve it. So advocating for siloing this as two unrelated problems--potentially preventing from them from being seen as having a possible identical underlying cause--is doing yourself, Lenovo, and your users a disservice. Bye now and thanks for weighing in.

Options

6 Posts

03-24-2021

Netherlands

11 Signins

50 Page Views

• Message 10 of 125

2021-03-24, 22:06 PM

Same issue with my Gen 2 X1 Extreme... Had it from the start (about one year ago)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)