Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

09-05-2021

Netherlands

11 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 101 of 193

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-09-13, 7:13 AM

Especially since this problem only involves the trackpoint, I think we can be relatively sure most people in this topic are big Thinkpad fans / have been using Thinkpads for years. I certainly don't expect to be in the minority when I say I have experienced the IBM days. 

I can't really blame Lenovo for the deteriorating build quality. The market desperately wants light and thin laptops. Even Thinkpads have to go along with that trend. And they're still one of the strongest laptops on the market. The support, I do blame Lenovo for. I was hoping premier support was better than the 'normal' support I got on my previous Thinkpad. Alas...

At this point, I have been told they're going to declare my laptop DOA and let the seller solve the situation they created with their bad advice. They're getting me the DOA document 'somewhere this week' so I can contact the seller. Since my laptop is no longer available (chip shortage), this is going to be a nightmare. So much for next business day on site. 

I love Thinkpads. And even though some people declare me crazy, that little red nipple is much better than the fancy touchpad. But I'm seriously beginning to hate Lenovo. 

Options

17 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 102 of 193

2021-09-13, 11:15 AM

As I stated in prior posts, I'd disabled the TouchPad in the device manager and un-installed the drivers.  The Trackpoint had been freezing or disappearing as often as once per day.  I had zero TrackPoint problems for just about two weeks after making the noted changes however yesterday the problem returned. 

Options

7 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 103 of 193

2021-09-13, 15:18 PM

I've been following this post for months now.  I've also posted a few times myself.  I paid more for a P15v because I wanted quality.  I also purchased Lenovo Premium Support, so I'm not asking for something for nothing here.   I should not have to spend my time trying voodoo solutions that don't work.  We're at 102 posts on this topic and the problem has not been resolved.   And it hasn't gone away!  What seems to have gone away is someone from Lenovo offering us a resolution to this problem.    In my opinion, you can keep trying all of these desperate measures until the cows come home, it ain't gonna work.   The solution lies with Lenovo, and it's up to them to resolve this!   This definitely isn't the level of service I'm accustomed to receiving for a ThinkPad.   

Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 104 of 193

2021-09-13, 15:55 PM

Well, 2+ weeks with no problems on my side and I'll be testing it more, but it's not a solution, it is no more than luck so far. I see from other comments that the problem may return anytime. I love ThinkPads, I have experience of using ThinkPads (since IBM) and I have experience of making things working with Lenovo. With my old Lenovo X-series ThinkPad years ago I had to use a power of LinkedIn to get an appropriate level of service from Lenovo. You know, just contacted a couple of SVP level top managers. If it will be required again I won't hesitate. This thing is expensive and it should come with an excellent service.

Options

19 Posts

09-06-2021

United States of America

25 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 105 of 193

2021-09-13, 19:36 PM

I'm the guy with the T15g Gen 1 Thinkpad where the TrackPoint freezes but I can bring it back with "sleep" (i.e., using "Fn Backspace/☾ button" and then the power button).

I removed the Synaptics Touchpad "app" but left all the Windows drivers shown in "device manager" alone.

After 37 hours the TrackPoint just froze again today after using the laptop all morning.  I was using Firefox at the time.  "Sleep" mode brought it back, as usual.

I've just "Disabled" the "HID_compliant touch pad" under "Human Interface Devices" using the "Device Manager" and am back waiting to see what happens.

I emailed Lenovo support again this morning and am waiting to hear back.  I've asked for a keyboard and/or motherboard replacement if there is no "software fix".  I purchased this Thinkpad directly from Lenovo about one month ago.  At the same time I purchased 4 years of Lenovo's "Premier" next business day, on-site warranty service.

BTW: I like the idea of contacting Lenovo executives on LinkedIn to inquire about this.  That's gonna happen if I do not get satisfaction from Lenovo's repair service!
Options

7 Posts

03-24-2021

Netherlands

12 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 106 of 193

2021-09-13, 20:41 PM

I'd not go for replacement: won't work. It's a software issue.

Options

19 Posts

09-06-2021

United States of America

25 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 107 of 193

2021-09-13, 22:18 PM

@ Martin666 wrote:

I'd not go for replacement: won't work. It's a software issue.

It may or may not be a "software issue".  It seems to me there are two possibilities:

(1) The freezing TrackPoint flaw is present in every Thinkpad 15 Gen1 laptop being shipped, but only a small number of users expect the TrackPoint to work and are willing to complain.

(2) The freezing TrackPoint flaw is only present in a certain number of Thinkpad 15 Gen 1 laptops and we are the "lucky" ones.

I suspect #2 is much more likely.  That means that the "right" combination of Thinkpad 15 Gen 1 hardware (i.e., keyboard, motherboard, processor chip, etc.) exposes the flaw---be it "software" or "hardware".  By making Lenovo swap out my hardware until the flaw disappears I will get me what I need---and hopefully will prompt Lenovo to actually fix the software for all of us, because swapping out hardware is expensive!

HA HA HA! The TrackPoint just froze while composing this post.  "Disabling" the HID-compliant touch pad driver using the Device Manager, ~2 hours ago, did nothing! :-)

Again, "sleep" using the  "Fn Backspace/☾ button" and then the power button restored the TrackPoint cursor.

Options

17 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 108 of 193

2021-09-13, 22:30 PM

We bought two identically configured Gen 1 T15p.  Mine has the TrackPoint issue; my wife's, so far, no issues.  We received this, directly from LENOVO sales.

Options

4 Posts

09-12-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 109 of 193

2021-09-13, 23:52 PM

I wish the Fn-backspace worked for me.  This afternoon the cursor froze and I tried it twice. (Shame I me if I expected a different outcome 3 times in a row).  Ended up having to close a bunch of open windows with Fn-Alt-F4 then Ctrl-Alt-Del to get to the power button with arrow keys to do a reboot.

The hypothesis that there is a hardware failure is a good one.  The problem appears to be intermittent and random which tends to rule out, but doesn't eliminate, a software issue.  I'd lean towards an overheating issue.  Never had a problem in the morning although the computer has been on all night.  Only seems to occur while using the machine for a while.

Just my two cents...

Options

7 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

15 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 110 of 193

2021-09-14, 0:37 AM

To: T01029    Then why are you here if it hasn't happened to you? (yet)  I don't get it. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms