Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 121 of 193

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-09-16, 7:35 AM

There is no 'fix timeline'. For now it looks like no one knows is it hardware, firmware or driver issue...

After reproducing scroll freezing on the second version of the debug driver and sending the logs I'm back to normal driver. It worked for me for some reasons (maybe I disabled something during all these uninstallations and installations of the drivers, for sure touchpad is disabled in BIOS and there are no touchpad drivers installed), so I'm going to stay on the normal driver for as long as it works without freezing...

Options

19 Posts

09-06-2021

United States of America

25 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 122 of 193

2021-09-19, 15:14 PM

@ lightner wrote:

BTW: Lenovo warranty service finally got back to me this morning,  They have scheduled a service call to replace unspecified hardware:

With you confirming touchpad works when the TrackPoint doesn’t this leads me to believe it may be the hardware itself having the issue and not a driver or OS related problem. With you putting the unit to sleep/rebooting and it starts working again seems to be re-initializing the hardware for usage and with you confirming it may take days or hours to reproduce it sounds like a faulty/loose connection.

I have created an onsite work order, {4002042340} for {PF2TE6N4}, to replace the part on your system.

Lenovo replaced the keyboard of my almost new Thinkpad T15g Gen 1 last Wednesday morning.  Based on what I read in this forum I thought this likely was a waste of time, but we all know how that works! :-)

No TrackPoint freezes for two days and then it happened again.  About 24 hours later it happened a second time.  As before, putting the PC to "sleep" and then waking it up clears the problem.

I've contacted Lenovo warranty service with the bad news and have asked for more hardware changes.  We shall see.

Options

7 Posts

08-30-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 123 of 193

2021-09-20, 19:25 PM

When I worked for IBM, I had the keyboard & motherboard changed & it still didn't fix the trackpoint mouse issue.  Trackpoint problems go back YEARS!  You'd think they would have figured it out by now.  Same as most businesses out there - they've forgotten all about customer service.

Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 124 of 193

2021-09-25, 18:50 PM

It's happened again (after more than 4 weeks with no problems, not taking into account a couple of days when I was using the second debug driver).

Options

19 Posts

09-06-2021

United States of America

25 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 125 of 193

2021-09-25, 18:59 PM

@ ThinkPadUserA wrote:

It's happened again (after more than 4 weeks days with no problems, not taking into account a couple of days when I was using the second debug driver).

OK. Which is it...weeks or days!

BTW: I've gone the longest time so far with no TrackPoint freezes after Lenovo asked me to use BIOS config (i.e., F1 during reboot) to disable the TrackPad hardware.  It's been almost 5 days with no issues.  Their theory is that inadvertantly touching the TrackPad surface (even if it is "off" in the higher-level software) is somehow affecting the TrackPoint.

We shall see...

Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 126 of 193

2021-09-25, 21:00 PM

Sorry, weeks.But earlier (before a lot of driver uninstallation/installation, firmware updating, debug driver installation/uninstallation etc.) it was up to a couple times daily. And with both debug drivers it was just a few hours until scrolling stops working (for some reason with the debug drivers it's just scrolling, not the entire track point).

Touchpad is disabled in BIOS since day 1. I always disable it with new laptops.

Options

4 Posts

09-12-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 127 of 193

2021-09-25, 22:54 PM

I too always disable the trackpad on initial configuration.  Big thumbs tend to make the cursor jump around.  

My T15 was purchased because I smoked my T520 with a cup of coffee in February.  It's was flawless until sometime in August when the cursor froze and my only choice was to use Task Manager to reboot after closing all apps with Alt-F4.  Happened infrequently for a while but seemed to be getting more frequent, with three freezes in one day.  That made me join this board.

I've tried the Fn-Backspace sleep trick explained in this thread several times to no avail.  Only a reboot is working for me.

Installed the debug driver last week and so far, no freezes.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Options

19 Posts

09-06-2021

United States of America

25 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 128 of 193

2021-09-26, 1:13 AM

@ lightner wrote:

BTW: I've gone the longest time so far with no TrackPoint freezes after Lenovo asked me to use BIOS config (i.e., F1 during reboot) to disable the TrackPad hardware.  It's been almost 5 days with no issues.  Their theory is that inadvertantly touching the TrackPad surface (even if it is "off" in the higher-level software) is somehow affecting the TrackPoint.

We shall see...

Arrgh!  The TrackPoint cursor froze again, about an hour ago.  I was using Google's Chrome Web browser at the time.  That was over five full days without problems, with the TrackPad disabled in the BIOS.  As usual, putting the PC to "sleep" and then waking it up cleared up the problem.

Lenovo warranty service had said...

Thank you for this information, I’ll go ahead and get this L2 information prepared and sent up to my Lead.

Not sure what that jargon means, but hopefully it's indicative of future progress! :-)

Options

4 Posts

09-01-2021

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

8 Signins

25 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 25
  • Message 129 of 193

2021-09-27, 7:31 AM

I've had the trackpad disabled since I first encountered this issue.  Seems to make no difference.  T14 Gen 2. Still get 1-4 trackpoint freezes a day which only a reboot will clear.  

Options

1 Posts

09-27-2021

Finland

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 130 of 193

2021-09-27, 13:29 PM

I have exactly the same problem with a brand new T14 Gen 2. The TrackPoint can suddenly die. Going to sleep and waking up doesn't fix it, but a restart always does.

If I'm lucky I can go 5 hours without the problem, but mostly it's less than that...

Like others, waiting for advice from Lenovo. I'm very dissappointed. I chose this laptop over competitors because of the TrackPoint.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms