Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 151 of 196

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-10-07, 20:31 PM

TrackPoint been around since the beginning of the ThinkPad architecture.  took them this long to screw it up.

Options

12 Posts

08-11-2021

Slovenia

11 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 152 of 196

2021-10-11, 10:02 AM

as espected upgrading to win11 did not fix the issue :)

back to debug driver. soon.

Options

2 Posts

10-12-2021

Estonia

5 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 153 of 196

2021-10-12, 3:49 AM

This happens on my relatively new T14 gen 2 work laptop as well. Sometimes the trackpoint becomes difficult to move before not working at all (maybe just a perception). Also sometimes putting the machine to sleep does not work, probably depending on what actual sleep stage is achieved.

Lenovo, could you please get your act together?

Options

11 Posts

01-02-2020

Finland

10 Signins

128 Page Views

• Views: 128
  • Message 154 of 196

2021-10-12, 19:56 PM

More quesswork here.

I was thinking that maybe there is something with the communications bus, like I2C. But then I shoot my ideas down as keyboard per se keeps working. However. I took a look at the hardware maintenance manual:

So actually two connectors. I'm pretty confident that one is for keys and one is for mouse and the microcontroller handling the bus communication between mouse and motherboard breaks/crashes. Now I'm thinking about interference or just plain old embedded software programming bug.

Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 155 of 196

2021-10-12, 20:02 PM

I rolled back to the 'PS/2 compatible mouse' driver again. TrackPoint never stops working with this driver and https://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/xmousebuttoncontrol.htm allows to restore proper middle button scrolling.

Options

17 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 156 of 196

2021-10-12, 23:24 PM

Please elaborate on your process to fall back to a PS/2 level mouse driver... i.e. where did you find a WIN10/WIN11 compatible driver?  decades have passed since I've seen a PS/2...

Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 157 of 196

2021-10-13, 7:11 AM

The 15 years old PS/2 driver is in the Windows 10 as a default mouse driver. I used Roll Back Drive button to enable it. But I'm not sure how it worked when there were multiple version of the Synaptics driver installed. I probably used the Roll Back Driver button multiple times or used the Uninstall Device button first.

Then I installed X-Mouse Button Control and changed middle button behavior in the settings: 

Also added a few .cur files to the "c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Highresolution Enterprises\XMouseButtonControl\" folder to change cursor icons for scrolling (I don't like the default X-Mouse Button Control icons). I got them from http://www.rw-designer.com/cursor-library (and renamed in accordance with http://vps.highrez.co.uk/downloads/X-Mouse%20Button%20Control%20User%20Guide.pdf, page 11):

So far I had no problems with PS/2 driver. Maybe I'm just extremally lucky, but I assume the problem is in the Synaptics driver, not in the hardware.

Options

17 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

13 Signins

45 Page Views

• Message 158 of 196

2021-10-13, 11:52 AM

roll-back for the synaptic pointing device is not highlighted on my device manager

Options

33 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

27 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 159 of 196

2021-10-13, 19:00 PM

Try to uninstall the device. Then let it find and install Synaptics driver again. Then roll back. Something like that. I was playing with the drivers for a while and don't recall the exact sequence of actions, but at some point the Roll Back button should become enabled and it will install PS/2 driver.

Options

20 Posts

09-06-2021

United States of America

26 Signins

155 Page Views

• Views: 155
  • Message 160 of 196

2021-10-15, 23:01 PM

@ lightner wrote:

@ ThinkPadUserA wrote:

I don't understand. Is it a problem for Lenovo to take a couple of our laptops and to give them to its internal team for testing? Even if it requires days to reproduce the problem it will cost less than reputation issues. Even if most users don't use TrackPoint they won't be happy to hear that it takes months for Lenovo to (don't) solve a problem with ThinkPad laptops. Among ThinkPad users there are those who make decisions what laptop vendor to choose for their company...

Apparently the answer to your question is no!  Here's what Lenovo's "L2 lead" asked me, to my surprise!

Thank you for confirming that even with the touchpad disabled it still occurs.

I reached out to my Lead regarding our L2 escalation. They stated that they are aware of this TrackPoint issue and have attempted to replicate the problem but they do not have any T15g Gen 1 units on hand in their lab that is exhibiting the TrackPoint freezing/stops working problem.

I likely know the answer but they have asked me to ask you if you are willing to have your unit shipped in to our L2 team for further analysis in to the problem so they can verify what is causing this problem and implement a solution for this problem.

I said NO to the above.  The same "L2" person also threw this out...

They also asked if the problem also occurs within safe mode on the unit. (I know this might be a long shot as well since the issue is random and may take several hours to days to replicate)

I also said NOPE to that.  At least they are "aware of this TrackPoint issue"! Is that progress? :-)

I asked for more one-site warranty hardware replacement action (motherboard and/or Xeon CPU).  That or send me a new Thinkpad, which I am becoming resigned to being my best hope despite all the "monkey motion" that will require to move to a yet another new work PC.

I'm waiting to hear something back...

My TrackPoint just froze again after 18 days!

As for Lenovo, after a second request from "Level 2" support to ship them my Thinkpad for "testing", and another refusal by me, Lenovo agreed to send me a brand new replacement Thinkpad 15g, a Gen 2 model (same DRAM, SSD drive, Intel Xeon processor and display) at zero cost to me.  Expected shipment in 4-9 days. That will replace this one, which I must ship back.  The 4-year on-site warranty will be transferred.

Showing them my desktop and all the apps that I have installed and use regularly may have been the key.  No laughing! :-)

Not an ideal ending given that I must move/reinstall everything again.

Hopefully the "new" Thinkpad will not come with the TrackPoint freeze "feature"!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)