Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

30 Posts

10-18-2021

United States of America

24 Signins

285 Page Views

• Views: 285
  • Message 171 of 291

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-10-18, 23:46 PM

I had this issue on my P14s Gen 2 -- it's a brand new device and it started exhibiting the trackpoint issue randomly with less than 2 days of use, where the trackpoint stops responding as well as the integrated 3 button mouse underneath the spacebar. Functionality returns randomly later, but it's pretty terrible experience for a new $2K+ machine. 

That said, through some trials I've discovered what appears to be a simple fix that may be able to restore the trackpoint functionality for my machine:

• re-install the Synaptics Touchpad Firmware 
  • The following Synaptics firmware appears to be valid for "ThinkPad P14s Gen 2, T14 Gen 2, T15 Gen 2"
    • Firmware file name: r1mgb01w.exe and it can be downloaded @ download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/r1mgb01w.exe 

• if you have another Thinkpad model search for it in this portal
  • then, navigate to "Mouse, Pen and Keyboard" -> find and install the Synaptics Firmware for your machine

After doing the above, the trackpoint and mouse functionality seems to immediately return.

While this isn't an ideal fix by any means, it seems to be an quick easy way to get the trackpoint on my machine working the way that I would expect.

Note: I uninstalled one of the Mouse Devices within Device Manager while troubleshooting earlier, although that doesn't seem to have made any difference and the trackpoint continues to function despite the device being uninstalled

deviceManager_view

the non-lenovo employee mod seems set on removing my posts to tell the lenovo teams on social media about the problem... file a support ticket and tell lenovo about the problem in a public space to official handles to help us all get a official fix.

Does your TrackPoint Stop Working Randomly?

Impacted Models include: T14 | T14s | T15 | T15 Gen 2 | T15p | | P14S Gen 1 | P14S Gen 2 (Intel + AMD) | P15 | P15s | P15s Gen 2 | P15g | P15v | P17 | P53 | X1 Extreme Gen 2 | X1 Yoga Gen 5 | T490

Join the Discussion about the problem Lenovo refuses to fix.
Options

7445 Posts

06-27-2008

United States of America

29459 Signins

1686063 Page Views

• Views: 1686063
  • Message 172 of 291

2021-10-19, 0:07 AM

Moderator comment: Post removed as not conforming with the Community Rules. No incitement to online campaigning.

Community GuidelinesPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
Requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it.

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

18 Posts

09-05-2021

Netherlands

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 173 of 291

2021-10-19, 5:24 AM

Call me naive, but I did not see this one coming. 

People here paid a lot for their devices. Usually between $1.5k and $2.5k. Way more than, based on its specs, it's worth. We were still prepared to pay such amounts because we remember the old Thinkpads and expected at least some of the quality and support we got back then. 

Don't forget that this is an issue that affects the trackpoint. You're not going to find first-time buyers in this topic. What you will find is people who are on their n'th Thinkpad, die-hard fans, that are shocked by the fact that a significant fault like this is treated so badly. The first report was over a year ago. Over 9 months ago on this forum. Since then, you're the second person related to Lenovo to respond! In fact, your 'response' is the second message we got! Driver updates are published without even a single line from Lenovo. A message from @Rydeen in the last few days "Hey guys, there's going to be an update for the driver. It fixes some other stuff, but they're still working on this issue" would have been so much appreciated. Instead, we're having to guess and figure out ourselves that, of course, the issue still isn't fixed. 

Many people here have already had to deal with technical support not knowing what to do with this issue. Or even worse, just repeating the advice they find in this very topic. This topic has become the go-to reference for Lenovo technical support staff! Let that sink in for a bit. Personally, I'm writing this message on a spare HP laptop becuase my brand new $2300 P15s gen2 does not have a working trackpad or trackpoint anymore due to Lenovo technical support staff destroying it with a bad firmware update. The laptop I do most of my work on has to be connected like a desktop to work. That was weeks ago. They've gracefully promised me a replacement in about 8 to 12 weeks, but won't order it until my damaged but still very much needed laptop is back at Lenovo! 

Even then, it was a sad moment when I realised that the first 'official' response we got in ages wasn't about this issue, but about a policy Lenovo needed to create to stop people from forcing it to repair their own faults. I'm seriously curious about the amount of damage your post just did. Though I'm not at all suspecting Lenovo to care at this point. 

Do you own a modern ThinkPad? Then your TrackPoint is probably failing too. https://broken-trackpoint.com/ for a workaround.
Options

48 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

45 Signins

480 Page Views

• Views: 480
  • Message 174 of 291

2021-10-19, 6:31 AM

I hope moderators (Lenovo employees or not) know what is Barbra Streisand effect... If we will be blocked here, we all know how to reach both Lenovo users and Lenovo top management to highlight the problem. We're in a situation when warranty service seems to be useless, Lenovo don't know what causes the problem and random laptop parts replacing doesn't work or makes things worse. I personally see no sense in creating a warranty service ticket while I see posts "they replaced ... and it didn't help / made things worse / I spent weeks without my laptop" here, especially taking into account that I'm not in the US (where I believe warranty service speed and quality used to be better) . We're spending our time (and it's neither free nor cheap) to find a workaround and while we understand some bugs are not easy to catch, with no proper communication from Lenovo (yeah, at least like "we're publishing a new driver, but there is no fix for your problem yet"), it looks like no one really cares about the problem. TrackPoint is the best PC input device ever, but I don't know how marginal is a group of TrackPoint users nowadays, maybe we should be ready to meet a "solution" - no TrackPoint in future ThinkPad models.

Options

18 Posts

09-05-2021

Netherlands

23 Signins

235 Page Views

• Views: 235
  • Message 175 of 291

2021-10-19, 7:16 AM

I'm sure Lenovo market research will confirm that trackpoint users tend to be tech-savy long-time Thinkpad users. Fun thing is, long-time tech-savy users tend to be in a position of influence over buying decisions. I for one am the person buying all the systems for our startup. That sounds more fancy than it is, I'll probably decide over at most 20 systems in the next two years. But I'm quite sure I'm small fish compared to some other users having this very same issue and frustration. 

Unfortunately, it'll be neigh impossible to find out. But I'm pretty sure that moderation a few hours ago could have paid for quite a few Thinkpads in loss of revenue. Way to go Lenovo! Big Blue ain't got nothin' on ya. 

Do you own a modern ThinkPad? Then your TrackPoint is probably failing too. https://broken-trackpoint.com/ for a workaround.
Options

23 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

19 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 176 of 291

2021-10-19, 14:00 PM

I no longer recommend Lenovo products to my friends or clients. 

Options

23 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

19 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 177 of 291

2021-10-19, 14:02 PM

I no longer recommend lenovo products to my friends and clients. 

Options

48 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

45 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 178 of 291

2021-10-19, 14:51 PM

FYI: @Lenovo on Twitter is asking a question: "What's that red dot on your laptop?"

Options

30 Posts

10-18-2021

United States of America

24 Signins

285 Page Views

• Views: 285
  • Message 179 of 291

2021-10-19, 15:27 PM

HA! try mentioning the @LenovoThinkPad handle vs the Lenovo master brand... the social media folks managing the Lenovo corporate handle may be oblivious to product line features

Do it quickly, as this point may be removed by the non-lenovo employee moderator as it could be considered "online campaigning". Can't have people tell the manufacturer that their gear is faulty, especially in a public forum where it could hurt the brand and consideration, to elicit a reasonable response to fix said problem.

as I wrote this my trackpoint stopped working, and I had to reflash the firmware to restore functionality...seems to be happening more frequently now

Does your TrackPoint Stop Working Randomly?

Impacted Models include: T14 | T14s | T15 | T15 Gen 2 | T15p | | P14S Gen 1 | P14S Gen 2 (Intel + AMD) | P15 | P15s | P15s Gen 2 | P15g | P15v | P17 | P53 | X1 Extreme Gen 2 | X1 Yoga Gen 5 | T490

Join the Discussion about the problem Lenovo refuses to fix.
Options

48 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

45 Signins

480 Page Views

• Message 180 of 291

2021-10-19, 15:35 PM

I had to reflash the firmware

Sorry to hear. It looks for most of us rebooting restarts the TrackPoint.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms