Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 11 of 22

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-03-27, 12:58 PM

I'm reading this thread and realize that I have the exact same problem.  Trackpoint intermittently stops working!   I purchased two of the ThinkPad P15v and have had the problem from the start.  All bios, firmware and drivers have been updated to the latest ones.  I also purchased Premier Service for the units.   What should I do?  I like & use the Trackpoint, so having it unexpectedly stop working is not acceptable.  Come on Lenovo, what's going on here?

Options

13 Posts

08-08-2015

Canada

20 Signins

79 Page Views

• Views: 79
  • Message 12 of 22

2021-03-27, 14:50 PM

Hi everybody,

"Happy" to see that this is a more generalized issue than I personally thought. 

Although, just like some of you, I thought that redirecting me to the W and P forum instead of trying to help us here was not helping, I followed the directions and started a thread in the proper forum based on my device (P15v) (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile-Workstations/P15v-Trackpoint-randomly-stops-working/m-p/5069808).

Another user called Voithos had a good idea I think, although it hasn't worked for me so far : checking in the Device Manager if, for the trackpoint, the option "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power" was checked in the "Power management" tab.

Personally, there was no Power management tab for me for the "Mice" >  "Synaptics pointing device", so I could not uncheck this box.

However, if you go down through the different section and open "System Devices" there is another device that seems linked to the trackpoint. It is called "Synaptics SMBus Driver" for which I am actually able to uncheck the said box since there is a "Power management" tab.

The only problem is that if I restart my computer, this box gets checked again (!). Any idea how to keep it unchecked? Because this might be it!

I also ran the device manager as "administrator" to see if it would help but had no luck.

That's where I am right now.
Hoping that we will get a proper fix soon.

Alex

Options

3 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 13 of 22

2021-03-27, 20:26 PM
Thanks. Someone also posted (somewhere in Lenovo Community) that they thought it may only be happening when operating under battery power. So the Power Manager / Battery Power, connection seems like there's a possibility here.
Options

3 Posts

03-24-2021

Netherlands

4 Signins

30 Page Views

• Views: 30
  • Message 14 of 22

2021-03-28, 8:50 AM

For @Alex-a: I think the "Synaptics SMBus Driver" is for the Touchpad, not the trackpoint? 

Options

13 Posts

08-08-2015

Canada

20 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 15 of 22

2021-03-28, 14:54 PM
I may be wrong but from what I could understand both the trackpoint and trackpad are linked and controlled by Synaptics drivers. 
Options

6 Posts

07-25-2016

United States of America

14 Signins

45 Page Views

• Views: 45
  • Message 16 of 22

2021-03-28, 16:40 PM

@ Tony C wrote:

Thanks. Someone also posted (somewhere in Lenovo Community) that they thought it may only be happening when operating under battery power. So the Power Manager / Battery Power, connection seems like there' a possibility here.

Definitely happens to me when plugged into power--100% sure (X1 Extreme Gen2). Nonetheless thank you for proposing the idea, I'm happy for any new ideas that might solve this annoying problem.

Options

13 Posts

08-08-2015

Canada

20 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 17 of 22

2021-03-28, 16:53 PM

It happened to me again yesterday when using the computer on battery power. Again around 50/60% of battery left. 

Options

2 Posts

12-17-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 18 of 22

2021-04-12, 2:31 AM

Hello, I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P1 Gen2 laptop that I was talked into buying in Feb 2020.  I have had quite a few issues with this laptop and I do not recommend it as a business laptop.  One of the most annoying issues is the Trackpoint freezing.  It randomly stops working as everyone else has described.  I seem to see the issue happening more often when I am running on battery, but it happens when it is plugged in as well.  Also it seems to always happen when I am browsing the internet.  The browser does not seem to be the issue (IE, Chrome, Firefox) but the issue seems to happen only when I am viewing web pages.  So far, it has never happened while running any other apps.

I have updated the drives and reloaded the OS.  I contacted Lenovo, and they had me reload the OS again and then update all the drivers again, and I am still having the problem.  I have updated the drivers a third time a week ago in April, and I still having the problem.  To work around the problem, I have to enable the touch pad or restart the computer.  I have tried turning off the trackpoint and turning it back on, but that does not seem to work around the problem.  I have disabled the driver and re-enabled it and that will also get the trackpoint working again.  Lenovo has suggested that I return the laptop for a replacement, or that I get a different model, but it seems that many if not all current models from the past year seem to be having the same issue.  Many people are not using the trackpoint because they do not like it, so they probably do not realize they are having the issue.  If anyone finds a solution to this problem, I will be very grateful.  Thanks

Options

3 Posts

03-27-2021

United States of America

4 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 19 of 22

2021-04-12, 3:03 AM

My Opinion:  Don't bother with any of the driver updates, or any Lenovo recommended voodoo tricks to try to get the trackpoint to work properly.  This is a Lenovo issue that they need to own up to and resolve.   I have a fairly expensive P15v that has this problem right out of the gate.  Come on Lenovo,  step up to the plate and get this problem resolved.

Options

13 Posts

08-08-2015

Canada

20 Signins

79 Page Views

• Message 20 of 22

2021-04-12, 3:20 AM
The way you handle your machine isn't the issue. Most of us have tried the useless Lenovo recommendations with no luck so far. Clean install, reset, change parts etc... If Lenovo wants to spend their time and money replacing perfectly good parts and computers, it's their problem but it doesn't change that there seem to be a generalized issue across their new lineup of ThinkPad computers. Somebody should start looking into this. I personally believe that it is a driver issue of some sort and the appropriate response might come from Synaptics. But Lenovo actually needs to work with them to try and solve the issue...
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms