Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

18 Posts

09-05-2021

Netherlands

24 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 281 of 297

Re:Trackpoint randomly stops working

2021-11-24, 19:24 PM

At this point, I would love to say some words directed at you I'm quite sure won't be acceptable according to the community guidelines. But I'm looking for de-escalation. Strangely enough, it seems you're looking for the opposite. 

To quote your own edit of Mapol's post: "This shows some next level lack of perspective and understanding."

Do you own a modern ThinkPad? Then your TrackPoint is probably failing too. https://broken-trackpoint.com/ for a workaround.
Options

11994 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33123 Signins

1241855 Page Views

• Views: 1241855
  • Message 282 of 297

2021-11-24, 19:39 PM

Hello @Bitblade  

Just in case you hadn't noticed I have responded to your private message.

Andy

Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

24 Posts

08-26-2021

United States of America

20 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 283 of 297

2021-11-24, 20:23 PM

Recent few posts seem to be nothing more than contentious and so far as i can determine, have not done anything to bring the TrackPoint problem to a resolution.

Options

18 Posts

09-05-2021

Netherlands

24 Signins

240 Page Views

• Views: 240
  • Message 284 of 297

2021-11-24, 20:27 PM

@Andy_Lenovo I did just notice. However, I also just received a message from one of your moderators ending in a way that makes me feel he is trying to talk to his 7 year old. 

There is a serious issue going on here. People are prevented from enjoying their €2k+ devices by a bug that should have been fixed 8 months ago. I have created a workaround in my own free time which I'm distributing freely. As a result, I am now facing legal threads. 

Instead of Lenovo responding to this issue, the first response is: "Don't you dare post our threads verbatim or else!". I'm starting to think there is no end to this Kafkaesque nightmare. I'm taking screenshots of everything, because I'm sure nobody will believe me if I tried explaining this later. I truly feel we have switched sides here. I'm trying to prevent this from escalating, while your moderators want to see nothing but. 

Do you own a modern ThinkPad? Then your TrackPoint is probably failing too. https://broken-trackpoint.com/ for a workaround.
Options

11994 Posts

09-04-2014

Slovakia

33123 Signins

1241855 Page Views

• Views: 1241855
  • Message 285 of 297

2021-11-24, 20:36 PM

Hello,

Yes you responded to my private message but not on topic, I'm still awaiting your answer to the question I posed.

Yes, in your latest PM to me you complained about the moderation of a post made by another member which had been edited for profanity. I am able to see every version of a post be it edited by a member themselves or a moderator, the post was edited because it contained profanity. Profanity in raw or implied form will not be tolerated in this Community nor will questioning moderation of it. I hope you can accept that.

Let's stop the mod-bashing and carry on with the conversation on topic.

Thanks

Edited; you -> your

Andy

Community Administrator
Lenovo eServices

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by awarding them a Thumbs Up

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

50 Posts

08-20-2021

Poland

47 Signins

505 Page Views

• Views: 505
  • Message 286 of 297

2021-11-24, 21:15 PM

This is insane.

What is happening here:

1. People are rather calm, polite and willing to help each other, but we're getting angry because this problem and forum topic exists almost a year with no solution.
  2. Some of us proposed temporary workarounds (that probably work, but have to be tested).
  3. One of us built a tool that works as a temporary workaround. And even if it violates some Lenovo rights, the only reason it was created is to help people to use Lenovo products that don't work as expected, to make your customers less angry. Lenovo should at least say "Thank you" for help. And publicly. An attempt to take legal actions against a customer in this situation is the worst choice and be ready to get Barbra Streisand effect.
  4. We all testing debug drivers and/or different workarounds.
  5. Lenovo is doing something (thanks to Rydeen for communicating with us), but taking into account that it's an old topic and there is no solution yet, it's not enough.
  6. There were no communication from Lenovo employees (except Rydeen) despite promises from a person behind your Twitter accounts and promises from a C-Suite manager.

What should be happening here:

1. Better communication from Lenovo: what you're doing to help us? when we should expect a solution? what alternatives we have? (replacement, moneyback, etc.- most of us want working TrackPoint, not money, not a laptop from other company); how are you going (or not) to compensate for our issues with your product and our time?
  2. More resources assigned to resolve the problem asap.
  3. It's Lenovo employees, not customers, who should propose us more workarounds (if there is no solution), build a tool that unfreezes the trackpoint (manually or probably automatically if possible), update firmware / build a new driver (maybe it's faster and requires less resources, PS/2 compatible driver seems to be working well, and it probably works on Windows 11, but I don't know for sure).
  4. If required - send new laptops to everyone here, then (only then, not before), take our laptops and give them to as many employees as possible for full time testing. But do something to actually find the problem and solve the problem. Probably not all of us will want this, because there is a great chance new laptop will have the same (or more) problems. Then give us better laptops or whatever to compensate. And we're rather willing to still use our laptops as is (until you know the final solution), we have installed a lot of software, we have to work, we don't really looking for replacements etc. We're looking for the solution of the trackpoint problem.
  5. Don't treat TrackPoint users as a bunch of oldfags and minority that can be ignored. For most of us TrackPoint is one of the main reason to be ThinkPad fans. We're your most loyal customers who use ThinkPads since IBM times and didn't stop using in 2005 (despite reasonable and/or subjective reasons to believe ThinkPads and/or customer service are going to become worse)
  6. It's Lenovo employees should be looking for how to find the source of the problem and for the solution.
  7. It's Lenovo employees should communicate with us and be looking for not only technical problems/solutions but also for better customer care and communication.

I have contacted C-Suite manager again. With all my respect to Rydeen, forum moderators (non Lenovo employees) and admins (Lenovo employees) I believe this problem is already requires a response from someone higher, who can assign proper recourses to resolve both technical and communication problems.
Options

14 Posts

10-12-2021

Estonia

23 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 287 of 297

2021-11-25, 10:01 AM

Sorry for derailing the discussion away from the actual topic. My post initally included a short unsuitable curse word directed at a manufacturer of digital goods. Thanks to administrators for editing the post and removing the offending sentence. Nothing of value was lost with the edit.

Options

2 Posts

02-23-2012

USA

7 Signins

134 Page Views

• Views: 134
  • Message 288 of 297

2021-11-26, 0:27 AM

My T15 Gen2 is one month old, and my trackpoint (and MOUSE pointer) randomly stops working.   This is an expensive laptop.   This bug is inexcusable.   When the trackpoint stops working and the mouse pointer vanishes, I'm stuck using only keyboard keys to navigate Windows 11 to scramble to recover from this.  This is VERY annoying.

At first, sleep mode would reset it, and then I could continue working, browsing, etc.   But now sleep mode no longer restores my trackpoint nor mouse pointer.  Instead, I have to RESTART the whole machine.  This means that I lose whatever work I was doing, just to get a mouse pointer.   My trackpad is disabled, b/c it's disruptive to editing workflow.  A trackpoint is easier to use & is part of my muscle memory.

Thinkpads have been great robust products, until now.   Their Trackpoint is a huge plus for me, and is a product differentiator that dictates my purchase.   I love the awesome Trackpoint, which I've used on every Thinkpad since long before Lenovo took over Thinkpad product lines from IBM.   A trackpoint is a key reason why I'm a devoted Thinkpad user.   FYI, Dell no longer sells any laptop with a Trackpoint, so we stopped buying from Dell.   I think this leaves Lenovo as the only vendor with a Trackpoint.   If this issue isn't fixed, we will stop buying Thinkpads.

Edit to add: Synaptics driver version is 19.5.19.88

Options

8 Posts

08-30-2021

Finland

8 Signins

65 Page Views

• Views: 65
  • Message 289 of 297

2021-11-26, 9:11 AM

This is absolutely NOT the way to handle people who are cleaning up your mess for you. Legal threats are no substitute for the tech support Lenovo should be offering for this long standing issue affecting lots of users. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Options

30 Posts

10-18-2021

United States of America

24 Signins

285 Page Views

• Views: 285
  • Message 290 of 297

2021-11-26, 18:39 PM

Opened support ticket and am processing a refund for my second P14 S Gen 2 as the trackpoint issue refuses to be acknowledged by the manufacturer (and persists on the new device).  

@Bitblade 's homegrown solution worked to get me unstuck, but relying on a community member to craft a solution for such a widespread issue is not acceptable. Threating BitBlade with legal action for stepping in to do the work of Lenovo Engineering is a bigger joke.

This is not the same brand quality I've had on my prior ThinkPads and I can't trust owning this machine for several years, as my last ThinkPad.

The trackpoint has been essential for my laptop use, and given the # of models impacted (see sig), it seems like I'll have to wait till all the models refresh (again).

Does your TrackPoint Stop Working Randomly?

Impacted Models include: T14 | T14s | T15 | T15 Gen 2 | T15p | | P14S Gen 1 | P14S Gen 2 (Intel + AMD) | P15 | P15s | P15s Gen 2 | P15g | P15v | P17 | P53 | X1 Extreme Gen 2 | X1 Yoga Gen 5 | T490

Join the Discussion about the problem Lenovo refuses to fix.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms