02-03-2020

US

26 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 1 of 4

WQHD vs FHD

2020-09-09, 5:41 AM

What is the advantage of a WQHD screen over a FHD one?

I had to change the resolution to 1920 x 1080 to make it readable.

I'm thinking going back to the FHD screen and keep the WQHD one as a spare.

Any ideas?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/Installed-WQHD/m-p/5005496?page=1#5017278

Solved! See the solution
Options

1073 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

128 Signins

5946 Page Views

• Views: 5946
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:WQHD vs FHD

2020-09-09, 10:30 AM

@ protozoa wrote:

What is the advantage of a WQHD screen over a FHD one?

I had to change the resolution to 1920 x 1080 to make it readable.

I'm thinking going back to the FHD screen and keep the WQHD one as a spare.

Any ideas?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops/Installed-WQHD/m-p/5005496?page=1#5017278

Hi protozoa.

The difference between FHD (Full HD) and WQHD (Wide Quad HD) is the hight and width of the resolution.  

Fitting more pixel on to the screen. The WQHD has almost twice the amount of pixels as the FHD.

"FHD (Full HD) has 1,920 x 1,080 resolution (2,073,600 pixels in total), the WQHD (Wide Quad HD, or just QHD) has 2,560 x 1,440 resolution (3,686,400 pixels in total) with the same 5.1″ screen."

The difference between QHD and WQHD is nothing. They are same, just different terminology. Commonly referred to as 2k, since it is half the size (hight/width) of the UHD/4k.

The Q meaning Quad, as you can fit 4 times a HD display/resolution on to the screen (1280x720)

UHD or 4k(3840 x 2160) is that it is 4 times a high and wide as the Full HD (1920x1080)

And then on we go, with 5k and 8k, where we are at very soon (consumer wise it is not that widespread)

Higher resolutions mean that there more pixels per inch (PPI), resulting in more pixel information and creating a high-quality, crisp image. Images with lower resolutions have fewer pixels, and if those few pixels are too large (usually when an image is stretched), they can become visible like the image below.

Hope this helps answer your query.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

80 Posts

01-19-2020

CH

89 Signins

1240 Page Views

• Views: 1240
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-09-09, 15:20 PM

Hi Protozoa, 

There is a lots of things defining the quality of the screen and the readability.

The resolution is one of them but a high resolution should not be consider as a warranty of quality alone. The quality of a screen has objective criterias :

-Resolution

-Response time

-Colours accuracy (sRGB , AdobeRGB)

-Brightness

-contrast

-frequency (Hz)

-viewing-angles

-etc...

But all these criterias could be subjective for the perception of the quality of the screen depending on the usage and the user  ... a colorblind who never plays  a game, watch movie, or use Photoshop but just browsing and work on excel file is not necesarely very focus for the colors accurancy or the response time. 

If you do some video editing or Photoshop, the colors accurancy should be a very important criteria, like the Response time if you are a a gamer...

Lenovo communicates on the screen about some of them : As an exemple the information on Lenovo store about one of the T14s : 14,0"FHD, WVA, AntiGlare, LED Backlight, Low Power, 72%NTSC, Non-Touch 1920 x 1080

-14 is of course the seize of the screen witch is for me the perfect balance for a laptop. 

-FHD (Full High Definitions if the resolution 1980X1080) 

-Antiglare usually for thinkpads it is mate coating

-Led Backlight (is there any oled screen on laptop ?)

-Low power ... dont know exactly consequences on the battery autonomy or consumption in w/h

-Ntsc, non touch  ...well you know what it is 

-1980X1080 ...it is redundant with the FHD mentioned higher

All these informations gives you some technical and objective informations about the screen you will have but not all .. far from it ...What is touchy about the Lenovo screen is that they have several manufacturers... and for a same technical characteristics you cans have different screens.  So it could be the luck who define the quality of the screen.

If the characters are too small for reading you can change the seize without changing the resolution (-->parameters-->Display--> scaling and layout try with 200%)

Hope it helps 

keep us in touch 

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“! If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"! T40P, T43, T60, T410, T420S, T450S, T480, T14 Gen1 ... Always Thinkpad. I don't work for Lenovo, I just like Thinkpads and try to help...

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

11 Posts

02-03-2020

US

26 Signins

190 Page Views

• Views: 190
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-11, 3:37 AM

WQHD set to 1920 x 1080 looks the identical as FHD . Maybe a little brighter. 

I split my NVMe drive in three. One for Win 7, one for storage [fat32] and one for Mint linux.

If I have problems with the readability in  Mint, I will change screens back to FHD.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete