Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

08-13-2017

Canada

33 Signins

280 Page Views

• Views: 280
  • Message 1 of 7

Warranty on Refurbished T470 Bought via Outlet

2017-08-16, 5:09 AM

Hi guys, just purchased my first Lenovo and have a few questions about the warranty on it:

(1) It said it had a "1 Year On-Site Warranty" in the specs, but for the life of me I can't seem to find the warranty terms on the Lenovo Outlet website (doesn't show up in the search function). Is it the same warranty that would apply to a new computer, as found here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht100140 as it doesn't seem to differentiate between new and refurbished?

(2) If so, if I bought it in the USA (direct from Outlet) but use it in Canada, will someone really come out and fix it in Canada? I can't seem to find any reference in the above linked document to it being a USA only warranty:

"Under On-Site Service, a Service Provider will either repair or exchange the product at your location. You must provide a suitable working area to allow disassembly and reassembly of the product. Some repairs may need to be completed at a service center. If so, the Service Provider will send the product to the service center at its expense." 

(3) Can you buy an extended warranty directly via Lenovo for refurbished? I'm guessing no, to encourage you to buy new, but they obviously make $ on them so maybe?

A bit strange that it's not easier to figure this out--apologies if I've missed it...I did try to search. 

**Edited to add:

If I lookup the warranty on the Lenovo website, it says:

Base Warranty

Start Date     End Date       Type     Status
2017-05-XX  2017-05-XX 1EZ       Expired

I'm assuming they will update this once they ship mine?
Options

108 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1055 Page Views

• Views: 1055
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: Warranty on Refurbished T470 Bought via Outlet

2017-08-16, 11:06 AM

You really need to return to the Lenovo site to read the policies on this. This particular warranty, "on-site" has territorial limits, i.e. where you are physically located to Lenovo's territory for on-site repair. Usually limited to major metro areas.

Your town may or may not be covered.

Safe computing all.

T61, 6465, Vista
Options

5 Posts

08-13-2017

Canada

33 Signins

280 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2017-08-16, 13:22 PM

Yea, fair point. I didn't expect on site service, but, admittedly, only skimmed the warranty I linked as I wasn't sure that was even the one that applied to refurbished computers. But, assuming it does, I've now read it.

I think, in my case, the following limitation applies: "This warranty only applies to products in the country or region of purchase."

While the terms of the warranty don't provide for it, surely they would let me downgrade--as a practical matter--to mail in service, with a return address in the USA? Otherwise, I hope Starbucks counts as a "suitable work space". 

Your city/town point is covered here: "Warranty service may not be available in all locations and may differ from location to location. Charges may apply outside a Service
Provider’s normal service area. Contact a local Service Provider for information specific to your location."

Again, in the case of someone living in Timbuktu, one would hope they would allow for mail in service rather than being forced to pay whatever amount they specify for living outside one of their service provider's normal service area. 

Options

108 Posts

02-23-2008

United States of America

131 Signins

1055 Page Views

• Views: 1055
  • Message 4 of 7

2017-08-16, 15:47 PM

I believe that shipping and carry in options are available for that level of warranty.

I looked into the extended/upgraded on-site service option and found that I was just outside of the travel area, so took the walk-in option, which was the next level down.

Good luck and safe computing.

T61, 6465, Vista
Options

5 Posts

08-13-2017

Canada

33 Signins

280 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2017-08-16, 17:16 PM

Thanks.  Was looking to order a second laptop and noticed this for the first time on the bottom of each order page on the Outlet.  Sounds like they don't even post the applicable warranties online. You have to send them a letter?! So weird for a technology company in 2017!!  Anyway, it looks like it's not transferable, and I'm assuming a copy of it will be in the box.  

Warranty: For a copy of applicable warranties, write to: Lenovo Warranty Information, 1009 Think Place, Morrisville, NC, 27560. Lenovo makes no representation or warranty regarding third party products or services. The Lenovo Limited Warranty applies only to Lenovo hardware products purchased for your own use, and does not transfer upon resale.

Options

1 Posts

01-06-2018

Canada

2 Signins

55 Page Views

• Views: 55
  • Message 6 of 7

2018-01-06, 18:35 PM

I am posting for similar question - Not a solution.

I bought a ThinkPad T430 from Business staples in Canada last July. This morning, it has a black screen. Staples asked me to call Lenovo. I tried for two hours but didn't get to the right department.

Please advice me what to do!

Many thanks!

Options

51 Posts

01-08-2018

United States of America

37 Signins

835 Page Views

• Views: 835
  • Message 7 of 7

2018-01-11, 23:46 PM

wrote:

I am posting for similar question - Not a solution.

I bought a ThinkPad T430 from Business staples in Canada last July. This morning, it has a black screen. Staples asked me to call Lenovo. I tried for two hours but didn't get to the right department.

Please advice me what to do!

Many thanks!

I'm not from Canada, so I have no clue if the US support number works - 800-IBM-SERV (426-7378) and punch through for the Lenovo ThinkPad support. (Honestly, I have no clue what Lenovo's dedicated support number is. I've been dialing IBM-SERV for 20 something years now. :smileytongue:

Honestly, at least in the States, hold times for business-line products is between zero and maybe five minutes. Some time ago during their server support transition, there were a few hours during the late evening that Lenovo wasn't routing calls properly and I'd sit on infinite hold.

However, if that doesn't work, have you gotten the Canada specific phone number from this webpage? https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ca/en/contactus

I'd give it to you, but you need to provide it the MTM of your machine.

Good luck!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms