Options

3 Posts

09-08-2008

New York

4 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 1 of 2

What can be done with the fingerprint reader?

2008-09-08, 3:50 AM

I am trying to figure out simply what I can do with the fingerprint reader on the T400. I understand how to use it to log into the computer. My main question is whether or not I can use the fingerprint reader in the following contexts, and if so how.

1a) To  log into internet password protected websites. When I use IE, the password manager pops up and prompts me to save a password. If I save it, I can return to that website and it automatically will enter the login information and password for me. I want to know whether you can have password manager (or another program) prompt the user for the fingerprint and then submit the login information. That way the information is protected each time I log in, but I do not need to enter log in information each time, only a fingerprint. 

1b) If this is possible in IE8, I would like to know if it is possible in Firefox 3, in which password manager does not pop up.

2) Can it be used to log into MS Outlook.

3) Can it be used to lock documents in MS Word.

I much appreciate any information letting me know if these can be done, and if so, how to do them. Thank you very much for your help!

J

Message Edited by lenova on 09-07-2008 09:13 PM
Options

3 Posts

09-08-2008

New York

4 Signins

94 Page Views

• Views: 94
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: What can be done with the fingerprint reader?

2008-09-08, 22:22 PM

After playing with it for a while I figured out at least questions 1a) and 1b). For anyone else who has the same questions:

1a) Have your browser save the password using Lenovo's Password Manager. Then open password manager and open that item.  Click the advanced tab and change the security level to custom. Click "Customize Security Policy" and select "Protect with a Fingerprint."

1b) Lenovo has a patch to synch Password Manager with firefox 3. It can be found here and is much easier than the manual fixes found on this forum.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-70132

I am still looking for help with 3) and 4), particurally 3). Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you very much!!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete