Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

38 Posts

02-27-2018

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

19 Signins

298 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 298
  • Message 1 of 5

What is the point of the Thinkpad trackpoint?

2018-02-27, 16:18 PM

Unless I am not using it properly, I find the trackpoint on my Dell Latitudes and the Thiankpad T570 (which I had to return as it arrived damaged!) to be impossible to use. It is not sensitive enough for me and I find that too much force is needed to move the cursor, partly because you do not feel any movement when you press it. Am I missing something or is it an immediately love it or hate it thing?

Also I am interested to know, do any users aged in their 30s and 20s use the trackpoint? I am in my 40s and (it may be a coincidence) everyone i know below 40 never uses their trackpoint. I would love to loose the trackpoint (unless, as i say, I am missing something) and free up the button space for a nice large trackpad like the XPS 15.

Options

4169 Posts

11-20-2007

United States of America

23526 Signins

803315 Page Views

• Views: 803315
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: What is the point of the Thinkpad trackpoint?

2018-02-27, 17:27 PM
I've used Dell and HP, and neither of them knows how to make a pointing stick.

Did you go into the TrackPoint settings and adjust it to your liking?

Don't push the TrackPoint. Just use light pressure to move it, and don't rest your finger on it when you aren't actively moving it.

You can also turn it completely off and just use the TrackPad.

keep-calm-it-s-a-thinkpad-sm2.jpg

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane
nonnymouselenovoff1.gif

2015 X1 Carbon, ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad Air 2, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet, Yoga 3 Pro
I AM one of those crazy ThinkPad zealots!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

I am not a Lenovo employee

Options

188 Posts

12-06-2017

United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

299 Signins

2557 Page Views

• Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
  • Views: 2557
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-02-27, 18:14 PM

I am not a fanatic so I will just say it's a matter of preference.

Having said that, however, the trackpoint offers much more accurate control, with less movement of the hand, without the need to keep your wrist hovering. 

The main advantage, however is that you keep your hands on the keyboard and can use both the pointing device and the typing device at the same time. Once you get used to it there is no going back. 

I am in my forties but only got my first Thinkpad 5 years ago (still in my forties then, sadly) and grew to love the trackpoint. I only use the touchpad when I show stuff on my screen to others.

My son got his first Thinkpad 4 years ago and is using the Trackpoint exclusively. He's 16 now. You see once you see the benefits there is no going back.

His touchpad is disabled, same here. I have an external wireless mouse for other uses (when the laptop is docked) too. Different uses require different pointing device but the trackpoint is the one that gravitates me most.

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
Options

14 Posts

03-17-2017

United States of America

1648 Signins

3351 Page Views

• Views: 3351
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-02-27, 18:33 PM
Ever since I bought my first Thinkpad 15 years ago, I have absolutely loved the trackpoint. As stated above, it is an excellent way to keep your hands on the keyboard to work more productively. My daughter has another brand laptop from her employer with a pointing stick, but it is not nearly as easy to use as the Thinkpads. The trackpoint along with the outstanding keyboard keeps me coming back to Thinkpads. My next Thinkpad will be a T480s in the very near future.
Options

4491 Posts

12-22-2008

Canada

12854 Signins

187781 Page Views

• Views: 187781
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-02-27, 19:37 PM

wrote:

Unless I am not using it properly, I find the trackpoint on my Dell Latitudes and the Thiankpad T570 (which I had to return as it arrived damaged!) to be impossible to use. It is not sensitive enough for me and I find that too much force is needed to move the cursor, partly because you do not feel any movement when you press it. Am I missing something or is it an immediately love it or hate it thing?

As others have said, (1) be gentle, (2) experiment with the TrackPoint settings. Also it takes a while to get used to a TrackPoint. It's well worth the effort.

Also I am interested to know, do any users aged in their 30s and 20s use the trackpoint? I am in my 40s and (it may be a coincidence) everyone i know below 40 never uses their trackpoint. I would love to loose the trackpoint (unless, as i say, I am missing something) and free up the button space for a nice large trackpad like the XPS 15.

I have no experience with non-ThinkPad "trackpoints" but my impression from reading reviews is that they're greatly inferior to a genuine TrackPoint.

Also FWIW, I'm over 40, I've been using TrackPoints since the 1990s and I'd never buy a notebook that didn't have a TrackPoint.

The TrackPoint is what distinguishes ThinkPads from lesser brands. Lenovo would invite a huge marketing disaster if they ever decided to delete the TrackPoint on ThinkPads. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms