Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

17 Posts

03-17-2014

USA

11 Signins

132 Page Views

• Views: 132
  • Message 1 of 3

What type of graphics did the 2.26GHZ T500 have?

2014-08-08, 20:56 PM

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used T500 off of eBay.

The seller has an image of the BIOS screen, but not much other information.

From the image, I can tell it is the 2.26GhZ T8400 processor, but what graphics card came with that? I am hoping the switchable that includes ATI.

Being that I have a dead board with the ATI chip, could I somehow solder it to this board? I have asked for more info, but I always have bad luck with the timing of seller's responses and the listing ends tomorrow, so I was hoping somebody could help me. I tried looking up the serial numbers listed, but came up with nothing.

I have been looking through the T500 specs, but it doesn't say what GPU is specific to which processor unit and there were several.

BIOS screenshot:

Link to image

Moderator note: large image(s) converted to link(s):  About Posting Pictures In The Forums

Options

4486 Posts

07-24-2013

Switzerland

13274 Signins

379533 Page Views

• Views: 379533
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: What type of graphics did the 2.26GHZ T500 have?

2014-08-08, 22:06 PM

You will need to ask the owner, normally the BIOS give you good information about the machine type, you will notice the "System unit serial number" being 2242-CTO

Unfortunately, the "CTO" part of that number means "Configure To Order", which points to a custom configuration :smileysad:

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

281 Posts

12-15-2012

United States of America

1093 Signins

62488 Page Views

• Views: 62488
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: What type of graphics did the 2.26GHZ T500 have?

2014-08-11, 3:27 AM

wrote:

Hello,

I am looking to buy a used T500 off of eBay.

The seller has an image of the BIOS screen, but not much other information.

From the image, I can tell it is the 2.26GhZ T8400 processor, but what graphics card came with that? I am hoping the switchable that includes ATI ......
I have been looking through the T500 specs, but it doesn't say what GPU is specific to which processor unit and there were several.

Hi there,

"2242-CTO" is the Machine-Type-Model (MTM) according to the screen shot you posted above:  T500 BIOS screenshot- MTM cropped.PNG

It is indeed "Configure to Order," but here's a simple trick:

If you go to System service parts- T500, W500: http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/pd000700#20

and click Part #20 in the "exploded" diagram it will scroll you down to list of system boards. There you will see that the only option ever offered with "2242-CTO" were boards with Intel Integrated graphics 4500MHD, (Intel only graphics, not switchable).

FYI, you may also search for W500 boards as T500 and W500 boards are completely interchangeable.  Word of caution, be careful sourcing T500/W500 boards or entire laptops with switchable graphics on e(vil)-bay, as some of those boards have had the switchable graphics "overstressed" by too much gaming or neglecting to clean/ change fan,  leading to constant overheating and running the GPU at unsafe temperatures for prolonged periods. The laptop then starts shutting down or blue-screening, screen/ graphics working erratically, so then they try to get rid of them on e-bay. I even saw a post a while back, (which I archived/ saved the page in Firefox on my laptop in case "they" try to cover up/ delete the post, which "they" often do), by an active moderator on another Forum advising someone: [From memory, this is the general sense of what he was saying, not an exact quote, so no one can find it easily, or know for sure to whom I am referring, but I have it archived, trust me. Basically he said to someone], "Yep, if I were you, I would 'bake' that (faulty T61) board (with failing Nvidia graphics) in the oven to revive it long enough and pawn it on ebay as quick as I could." So caveat emptor. It's  amazing the type of people in this world. Anyway that's all I can say publicly without people bothering me... but boy, if I was to share some of the (oppressive) things I have seen "under the sun" (Ecclesiastes 4:1)...

In regards to switchable graphics, I have a W500 (which uses same boards as T500) which I am using as my main workstation right now. It has nice ATI FireGL V5700 switchable graphics, and started to overheat this summer. So I just changed out the entire fan/heatsink assembly, re-did the thermal paste with some fresh Arctic Silver 5, and it is now running cool and comfortable. I like to take care of the laptops which God Blesses me with. :)

I also have a supply of T500 machines with switchable graphics and hi-res WSXGA+ screens available which I offer to clients online. They are all in excellent condition with switchable graphic cards working perfectly. I put them through a battery of tests including GPU stress tests before selling to clients or donating to charity. Unfortunately you will find some sellers on e-bay trying to pass off beaten-up/ abused laptops with faulty graphics cards. Just be careful/ prayerful that's all. As a general rule, it is much safer to buy a Thinkpad with Intel only graphics on e(vil)-bay than one with ATI/ Nvidia or combo switchable graphics.

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms