Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-03-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 11 of 20

Re:When rebooting my T14 goes to a "Boot Menu Windows Boot Manager>PXE Boot" screen

2021-09-18, 20:46 PM

I actually got sidetracked.  But instead of contacting Lenovo I did some more research.  It turns out that my upgraded Sabrent 2TB NVMe drive is no longer being recognized during reboots.  I discovered this when I noticed it was missing in the BIOS during reboots and also from the Diagnostics splash page.  Since then, I’ve searched for “T14 NVMe not detected” and discovered several others are also having this problem.  

My estimation is that Lenovo and/or AMD pushed some kind of BIOS firmware update since June 2021 that is having compatibility issues with some drives.  Just now, I replaced the original 512GB SkyHynix drive in my T14 and it is no longer going to the Boot Menu.  Hope this helps.

Options

26 Posts

12-23-2016

United States of America

36 Signins

208 Page Views

• Views: 208
  • Message 12 of 20

Re:When rebooting my T14 goes to a "Boot Menu Windows Boot Manager>PXE Boot" screen

2021-09-19, 10:57 AM

I also replaced my boot drive from the original NVME to a 1 TB Teamgroup NVME (partitioned so I have a separate storage partition since the T14 gives me no other option).  It's crazy that this changeout (and yours) would result in a T14 that works fine except for only not being recognized during a reboot (I'm calling it upon restart).

I'll try putting the original back in and see if that solves this problem that should not really exist in the first place.

Options

9575 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78273 Signins

2253695 Page Views

• Views: 2253695
  • Message 13 of 20

2021-09-19, 16:27 PM

Hi,

I don't know that this is helpful, but may give you something else to contemplate/explore...

I've seen similar issues - admittedly with SATA SSDs - where the drive isn't detected on restart or cold start.  One or the other.  In the couple of cases I chased down it was timing.  The SSDs take some time to initialize on power up or restart.  If they aren't fully operational when BIOS probes them they don't appear to be there.  If the timing of power on or reset of the SSD is different for cold start and reboot the drive may show up in one case but not the other.

BIOS changes may mean (slight) timing changes.  Or not... this is just speculation on my part and - so far - I haven't  seen it with an NVMe drive.

In maybe 3 out of 4 instances, an SSD firmware update sorted things.  In the others, no joy :(  I haven't read back in the thread.  Has anyone looked into SSD firmware updates?

FWIW.. this is probably just noise...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

5 Posts

09-03-2021

United States of America

6 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 14 of 20

2021-09-19, 16:59 PM

I've seen similar issues - admittedly with SATA SSDs - where the drive isn't detected on restart or cold start.  One or the other.  In the couple of cases I chased down it was timing.  The SSDs take some time to initialize on power up or restart.  If they aren't fully operational when BIOS probes them they don't appear to be there.  If the timing of power on or reset of the SSD is different for cold start and reboot the drive may show up in one case but not the other.

On cold start, the T14 system POSTs and the NVMe SSD is properly initialized, and so the SSD is recognized and the system boots properly.  When the system is warm rebooted, say via Restart in Windows, the SSD is powered down and does not reinitialize during reboot.  It may be a timing issue, but I suspect it is a firmware bug since this 2TB Sabrent NVMe SSD was working properly before June 2021.

BIOS changes may mean (slight) timing changes.  Or not... this is just speculation on my part and - so far - I haven't  seen it with an NVMe drive.

In maybe 3 out of 4 instances, an SSD firmware update sorted things.  In the others, no joy :(  I haven't read back in the thread.  Has anyone looked into SSD firmware updates?

I haven’t had an opportunity to examine the Sabrent website for a firmware update for this particular NVMe SSD, but since I will be repurposing it in another laptop (Framework!), I will be sure to look into it.

Thanks for your input.

Options

9575 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

78273 Signins

2253695 Page Views

• Views: 2253695
  • Message 15 of 20

2021-09-19, 17:37 PM

Not pushing this idea, just tossing it out for consideration ;)  At least one of the SSDs I had trouble with worked for a while then started behaving differently on power up and restart.

Don't recall a BIOS update in that case.  My guess was that as the SSD capacity was getting used, something - garbage collection maybe - was taking a bit longer on power up.

Or it could be a bug in either the BIOS or the SSD firmware...

I'll leave you all to it.  Good luck  :)

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

26 Posts

12-23-2016

United States of America

36 Signins

208 Page Views

• Message 16 of 20

2021-09-20, 15:29 PM

@ kushNYC wrote:

I actually got sidetracked.  But instead of contacting Lenovo I did some more research.  It turns out that my upgraded Sabrent 2TB NVMe drive is no longer being recognized during reboots.  I discovered this when I noticed it was missing in the BIOS during reboots and also from the Diagnostics splash page.  Since then, I’ve searched for “T14 NVMe not detected” and discovered several others are also having this problem.  

My estimation is that Lenovo and/or AMD pushed some kind of BIOS firmware update since June 2021 that is having compatibility issues with some drives.  Just now, I replaced the original 512GB SkyHynix drive in my T14 and it is no longer going to the Boot Menu.  Hope this helps.

My original was a Samsung 256 GB which is too small for my workflow so I replaced it with a TeamGroup 1 TB.  So it would appear that Lenovo used at least two brands of NVME, your SkyHynix and my Samsung (unless they're the same, only branded differently),

If it indeed is an issue of a specific brand of NVME, how would a guy know if the one he would want to install would indeed work in the T14?

Or can this be corrected in the Bios so that my TeamGroup is recognized as fully as the original Samsung (the Samsung being: Model MZ-VLB256B, which is listed on Newegg as an OEM product).

Options

26 Posts

12-23-2016

United States of America

36 Signins

208 Page Views

• Message 17 of 20

2021-09-20, 16:25 PM

I just put the original Samsung boot drive in and I'm able to restart, something I haven't seen my T14 be able to do in forever.  Now if only the T14 had another 2280 SSD slot that I could use for storage that would be just dandy.  But that is not to be, which is why I need a minimum 1 TB boot drive/partitioned.

I guess I'll sleep on it and decide if having the ability to restart and use an external drive of some sort for storage trumps having storage in the laptop but no ability to restart.  Knowing that some other brand of NVME SSD would absolutely work would give me options but I'd still have to clone the OS again, which is a PITA.

Options

124 Posts

12-18-2017

China

674 Signins

3062 Page Views

• Views: 3062
  • Message 18 of 20

2021-09-29, 7:06 AM

hi, let me confirm, you just want to replace SSD  by a new one with 1TB capacity for T14 AMD? if so Samsung PM981a or WD PCSN730 are alternative source qualified for T14 AMD.

Options

26 Posts

12-23-2016

United States of America

36 Signins

208 Page Views

• Message 19 of 20

2021-10-01, 17:54 PM

@ Jan_Lenovo wrote:

hi, let me confirm, you just want to replace SSD  by a new one with 1TB capacity for T14 AMD? if so Samsung PM981a or WD PCSN730 are alternative source qualified for T14 AMD.

Thanks for your reply.  Too bad the alternative SSDs aren't cheaper.  The two you listed are over $200 for a 1 TB, typically I can buy another brand for under $100 for a 1 TB.  Like the Team Group that I have as my boot drive currently.

What makes any one SSD work with my T14?    Is it something I can change in the Bios to make my T14 think the NVME I have in there now is "qualified"?

Options

26 Posts

12-23-2016

United States of America

36 Signins

208 Page Views

• Message 20 of 20

2021-10-12, 18:38 PM

I've given up.  Restarts happen on their own, even if I select "Update and shut down" then my T14 is unusable till it decides to start back up "normally".  Which takes manually doing a hard shut down several times.

So, I've also given up on the idea of having a decent amount of storage via the 1 TB boot drive I've been using and just put the original 256 GB Samsung boot drive back in.  Hey, look, I can update Windows and restart and everything!  I'd forgotten what that's like on this T14.

I'll just store files onto an exterior SSD.  Not the end of the world. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms