Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

193 Posts

10-12-2008

Seattle, US

607 Signins

2594 Page Views

• Views: 2594
  • Message 11 of 12

Re:Why WAN slot no longer accepts 2242 SSD?

2021-08-26, 6:20 AM

Thank you @phgw.

Yes I read about the change in BIOS but unfortunately I don't think if I purchase now I would get anything with the old BIOS, also I don't want to do that because such continuous upgrade is the main reason why I still buy ThinkPad. There are models more reliable or easier to mod, but nothing comparable to ThinkPad with track history of providing long term BIOS and driver support. Personally I find this more important than some features.

But it also made me very sad to know about the whitelist feature. It is a blocker for me to buy my favorite laptop product. I really would like to see SSDs are allowed again. There's no reason to block them. If this is in place for longer, I would be forced to choose other products.

Options

40 Posts

05-31-2021

United States of America

57 Signins

620 Page Views

• Views: 620
  • Message 12 of 12

Re:Why WAN slot no longer accepts 2242 SSD?

2021-08-26, 6:38 AM

At least for now the BIOS is downgradable, so theoretically even a new device could be flashed back to a working version. But of course there's no guarantee of that.

Completely agree with your larger point. Future BIOS updates may be important (maybe they'll even manage to fix the serious throttling issues at some point!), so staying on an old version forever isn't a good solution. It's very disappointing to see the current attitude from Lenovo, because with all the firmware issues, the hardware itself is actually very good, and not many competitors offer this particular combination of strengths. But I'm not sure that's enough...

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms