Options

2 Posts

01-05-2010

United States

3 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 3

Wiping entire drive (including partitions) and reinstalling Win7 (from upgrade disc)

2010-01-07, 0:30 AM

Hello everyone. I've browsed around here before and this forum seems like a great resource for info, so I finally registered. I have a question that may have been answered, but I've not found a plain concise summary, so here we go:

I tend to be one who reformats more often then necessary because I enjoy having a streamlined computer running at top performance and with the reassurance that it is free of viruses/ junk programs.  That has never been complicated in the past because I never had a computer with Lenovo's system of partitions.  I actually like the functionality of Thinkvantage, so before tinkering with the system I wanted to make sure what the potential consequences might be.

So my question... is it possible to reformat the entire hard drive ( including the partitions Servicev003 and Lenovo (D: ) ), and install everything from the beginning while retaining all current Lenovo functionality?  I'd prefer to truly install rather than use back-up images or discs since I want just the basics and worry about putting junk back on the drive. 

Unfortunately, the issue is further convoluted by the fact that this system shipped with Vista and the XP downgrade discs, and Windows 7 is from the free upgrade disc.  All Professional x64 editions.  If need be, I wouldn't mind purchasing a retail version of 7 to simplify steps.

Part of the issue here is that I don't quite understand what each of these partitions does, and I worry about whether or not viruses/ junk programs can make their way into these partitions.  Am I simply being obsessive/ compulsive?

Thank you in advance for any help and insights

David

Options

18 Posts

12-15-2009

USA

27 Signins

366 Page Views

• Views: 366
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Wiping entire drive (including partitions) and reinstalling Win7 (from upgrade disc)

2010-01-08, 20:19 PM

Hi there

> is it possible to reformat the entire hard drive ( including the partitions Servicev003 and Lenovo (D: ) ),

> and install everything from the beginning while retaining all current Lenovo functionality?

The recovery procedure is "smart" enough and will try to "help" you do as little restoration as possible, which is counter to want you want to do.  Any partition editor (e.g. GParted) or disk wipe program will remove enough info (actually just the MBR on the first track is enough) to force a full restore.

I tested the set of restore discs (that I had burned) by replacing the hard drive of my T400.  The installation of the Lenovo apps and customizations adds about 20 minutes to the installation/recovery.

Regards

Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Wiping entire drive (including partitions) and reinstalling Win7 (from upgrade disc)

2010-01-11, 21:23 PM

Hey, welcome to the forums.

I am just like you - i wipe it all far too often :-)

This is my first Thinkpad - a T500. Without any guidance the first thing I did when i got it was to boot the machine, burn the restore discs and then wipe it... quickly followed by an install of Windows Vista 64. Vista sounds so old now! I can't believe i've had my thinkpad so long!

Anyway, I found the individual driver downloads from the thinkpad site completely confusing. I guess I'm used to HP's site which is far more "click and go" than Lenovos. I used the thinkvantage system update utility to pull down the things that i wanted, and I'm happy to report it all went fine. I didn't notice the loss of any thinkvantage capabilities - until windows 7 atleast. some thinkvantage software isn't supported in Windows 7, though I haven't really noticed (i think most of the functionality is actually back now in lenovo thinkvantage toolbox).

To cut my epic tale short: Yes, you can wipe the whole drive - though I strongly reccomend burning backup discs before you do! Yes, you basically get all of the thinkvantage advantages even after you do that. I don't honestly know what's on those other partitions, I was far to eager to wipe my machine and get the OS i wanted on it!

Good luck!

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms