Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

04-27-2020

United States of America

6 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 1

Wireless - Well-connected to LAN but no/sporadic internet

2020-04-28, 0:09 AM

I'd love some help diagnosing a WIFI issue.

My T470s (type 20HF) consistently connects to WIFI networks, but has almost zero ability to actually do anything on the internet. Simple pages like Google either fail to load or take close to a minue to do so; Youtube loads just a few seconds of a video, at best; and video conferencing doesn't work at all. WIFI printing and connecting to local shares seems normal, though I don't do a lot of either.

Some notes:

• There are no issues at all on ethernet.
  • The issue persists on multiple networks. Other machines on those networks have no problems. The networks are mesh WIFI with connections that run in the 350Mb/s to 1Gb/s range.
  • The issue is the same using both Windows and Linux, and the DNS settings are different for each system (ISP default & OpenDNS, respectively).
  • The latest firmware is installed, as are the latest drivers.
  • Lenovo Vantage hardware scan reports that the WIFI card is fine. Ubuntu's driver report says it's "not working", but this is likely a software bug, since iwconfig suggests otherwise.
  • The card itself is properly seated in its slot, and the two antenna leads are properly connected. I have no idea of the status of those leads beyond what's visible when removing the bottom of the case.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm fine with buying and trying out a new card; but I'd prefer not to if there's a software, firmware, or (easy) hardware fix that I can try.

Thanks.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms